Patrick Ross
United States
Winfield
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On page 4 of the rules, the four possible actions are listed.

1. Add a card to your palette.
2. Change the rules.
3. Add a card to your palette and change the rules.
4. Fold.

Actions 2 & 3 clearly indicate that they can only be taken if they result in a winning situation for the player. Action 1 does not make that specification. However, if you take Action 1 and it doesn't produce a winning situation for yourself, you lose and are out of the round. The rules seem to allow for players to lay a card onto their palette and then immediately lose. Is there any reason to do this rather than simply take Action 4 and fold?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Green
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
If you are using the action card rules, then yes. Eg, you lay down a 1 and are not winning, but this allows you to remove a card from someone else's pallete, after which you are winning.

Or if you place a 3, and are still losing. You get to draw a card, which may be the card you need to discard and change the rule to make you win. Same goes for 5 and 7.

Specifically though, the main reason is that it doesn't allow you to change the rule (thereby effecting everyone else's play) if you ultimately get eliminated that round. That's the most important bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Ross
United States
Winfield
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For the basic game (without optional or advanced rules), taking Action 1 with a losing card still makes no sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you cannot be winning after your turn, you lose.

The idea about not allowing #2 and #3 if you are not winning is the following.

It is not permitted to change the rules and not be winning so as to spite or otherwise punish the person before you (who had been winning).

If you can become the (currently) winning player at the end of your turn, you can do any of 1-3 to do it.

But if you can't become the winning player, you are not allowed to make a move that affects the other players.

Action #1 is OK because it only involves playing a card to your palette and, if you have then lost, nobody cares. (There is no real reason that you would want to do this, but you are allowed to.)

But actions #2 and #3 change the rules for the other players, and that is not allowed unless you can become the winning player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Green
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
GuppyGamer wrote:
For the basic game (without optional or advanced rules), taking Action 1 with a losing card still makes no sense.

Correct, it's only written that way for the action card rules
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Ross
United States
Winfield
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the insights
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Renato
Portugal
Vila Nova Gaia
Porto
flag msg tools
I run through Rahdo's Runthroughs and make right what once went wrong (via annotations)
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was watching a BASIC Game (not the advanced) yesterday and a question was posed:

A player wanted to play a card to his Palette that wouldn't put him in the winning position and then he wanted to play a card to the change the rule and then he would be winning...

This is all normal and legit but the thing that caused questions was that the card he wanted to play first add nothing to do with the rule he played next... if he had just played the rule card he would be winning without having to play the other card...
He just wanted to put that card in his Palette so in the future he could play another card and change the rule and be winning because of that previous card he played in the current round but that has no effect on what was already on the table or on the rule he played subsequently...

If I remember correctly he had 2 6's in his Palette and wanted to play a 1 and then change the rule for most cards of the same number.
Obviously the 1 has nothing to do with the 6's and had no effect on the previous rule and the rule he wanted to play next.
He just wanted that in his Palette to later be able to play another card lower than a 4 and change the game to that rule because he would be in the lead on that

So is this allowed? Or are you only allowed to play a card to the Palette if it puts in the lead or if after that you change the rule and that card you played has an impact on that rule?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
You can play a card and change rules. You just must be winning at the end of your turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Renato
Portugal
Vila Nova Gaia
Porto
flag msg tools
I run through Rahdo's Runthroughs and make right what once went wrong (via annotations)
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clydeiii wrote:
You can play a card and change rules. You just must be winning at the end of your turn.

That was not the question I was asking if you were replying to me...

I was asking if in the Base Game you can play a card to your Palette that doesn't put you in a winning situation and then play a card to change the rules that puts you in a winning situation but that has nothing to do with the card you have just played to the palette...

Like the example I gave...

I have 2 6's in my palette and am not winning...
I play a 1 to my Palette... still not winning
I play a card to the Canvas to change the rule to most cards of the same number... I am now winning because of the 2 6's... the 1 I just played had nothing to do with it...
Am I allowed in the Base Game to play that 1? or can I only play cards to the Palette and the Canvas in the same round because they both have an influence in my victory condition?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
clydeiii wrote:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Renato
Portugal
Vila Nova Gaia
Porto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sorry didn't notice the "AND" I just read "TO"

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rami Finkelshtein
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Just another day on the staircase
mbmbmbmbmb
This is actually a good strategy for setting yourself up to be able to win the game. The only rule is that you have to be winning at the end of your turn. You may take additional moves if you want (though remember that drains your hand which lowers your life expectancy)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.