Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Cooperative Games for 2 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: recommendations [+] 2Players [+] coop [+] twoplayer [+] [View All]
Andrew Young
Wales
Wellesley
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
And if you never have, you should. These things are fun and fun is good.
mbmbmbmbmb
Geeks,

What would be your suggestions on excellent, medium complexity cooperative games that I can play with my wife?

Thanks,
Andy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lajos
Japan
Hachiouji
Tokyo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Maybe Archipel or some other games by Family Pastimes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mullin
United States
Budd Lake
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective: The Thames Murders & Other Cases?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Arroyo
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love cooperative games, and I mostly with my girlfriend. An obvious choice would be Lord of the Rings which we like to play once in a while. It's difficult but when you finally win it feels great. I really love Magic Realm but it's OOP and quite complex. It is one of the best RPG boardgames and you can choose to compete or cooperate with each other. Another good OOP cooperative game is The Sorcerer's Cave which we enjoy too.

If you like RPG like games, Runebound (Second Edition) can be played cooperatively with some modifications, and of course, there's Arkham Horror (if you like the horror theme) which is quite fun. Also, I heard Return of the Heroes can be played cooperatively with some modifications.

A game I haven't tried is Vanished Planet which some love and some seem to hate...

Hope this helped a bit

-Jorge

edit: oops. wrong game id

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can play Lord of the Rings with 2. You can also play Shadows Over Camelot with 2 if you each take 2 Knights and use no traitor (it's not as fun, but you get to learn the system that way).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Hancock
United States
Charleston
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Arkham horror is great, but a little heavy for two. One fun solution is to find solitaire variants for popular two player games and play them cooperatively. Also, sometimes this causes your partner to decide they want to play vs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lord of the Rings and Shadows over Camelot are both good - really, with only 4 Knights Shadows Over Camelot can be fairly challenging even without a traitor.

Arkham Horror is great with 2, in my opinion, but its definetely "high" complexity. If you at all enjoy the genre or pseudo-RPGs though, its worth figuring out.

Feurio feels more like a replayable puzzle than a game, but can be played co-operatively. It didn't greatly grab Lisa and I, but our tastes run more to...well, things like Arham Horror!

Vanished Planet is good but a bit fiddly. Its not terribly complicated, there are just a lot of cards that have to be traded in various combinations. The balance of the 'basic' difficulty seems near perfect - it tends to be very tense, but you can usually manage to win. Its then easy to increase the difficulty by shuffling in more of the included "Creature Growth" cards.

Not a lot of co-op choices out there I'm afraid.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Fisk
United Kingdom
Stoke on Trent
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
Come on you Seagulls! Sami Hyppia's Blue & White army!
badge
That's weird. This bit used to mention Shire Games, and tell you all how wonderful we are. But it seems to have got deleted. Let's see what happens this time ....
mbmbmbmbmb
Without a doubt ...

Lord of the Rings.

Add the Friends and Foes expansion to make it really tough with two players.

N.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Young
Wales
Wellesley
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Moviebuffs wrote:
Without a doubt ...

Lord of the Rings.

Add the Friends and Foes expansion to make it really tough with two players.

N.

Thanks guys. I was thinking Lord of the Rings myself. But wanted other opinions. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Have faith
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ekted wrote:
You can play Lord of the Rings with 2. You can also play Shadows Over Camelot with 2 if you each take 2 Knights and use no traitor (it's not as fun, but you get to learn the system that way).

What he said.
I've also seen a ShOC variant where you just put out a catapult each turn or something like that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Heaton
United States
Springfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried to use the advanced search to find you a two player cooperative game. Even with the rating set for 5 or higher, I only got two games, and they were both party games.

I tried it again without the two player limitation. All I got were games that either needed more than two players, or that I don't se how they could be cooperative games (Heroscape? Duel of Ages?).

Lord of the Rings would seem to be your best bet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Arroyo
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Strange. I get lots of games with the advanced search... Some that seem interesting:

Legends of Araby. A mix of wargame and RPG that can be played cooperative against the system.
Feurio! and Vulkan! which is played with the same components.
Aliens
Star Wars: Escape From The Death Star. Similar to LoTR
Cardmaster: Adventure Design Deck. A simple dungeon crawl.

Also a lot of older games and a lot of children games too...

Here's the link to the search:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/search.php3?title=&designerid=&...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werner Bär
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another vote for Lord of the Rings.

There is a cooperative variant hidden somewhere for Descent: Journeys in the Dark. I'm not sure if it qualifies for medium complexity. I think it's a very good game, but far too long in the default (non-cooperative) version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Young
Wales
Wellesley
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks again, guys. I think I can get her to play LotR as I just made her watch the movies. She's never read the books or seen the films.

Andy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.