Popular Tags: [View All]
Frank Teplin
United States
La Mesa
California
flag msg tools
badge
mb
If I'm reading the rules right, doesn't it seem impossible to have the third-most monuments in a district of size 3 or 4?

In a district of size 4, for example, the district token takes up one space, the Mexica takes up another, then there are only two spaces left for monuments.

By the same notion, in a district of size 3, you can't have a second OR third place (for the measly 1-2 points). Is this correct?

If so, why have those numbers on the tokens? It seems strange. In a 3-size, you also can't have another Mexica in that district when it's founded, to get the 1-pt bonues.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles A. Davis
United States
Greeneville
TN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Frank,

I agree that there can only be one building in a 3 district and 2 in a 4 district so 2nd/3rd place and 3rd place will not be used in the scoring rounds. However the numbers have another use in the founding of the districts. The Turqouise (size), Yellow (founder), and White(other Mexicas)numbers are also used when the district is founded (rules bottom of page 4 and 5). The yellow number is scored by the player founding the district. The white number is scored by any player with a mexica in a district when it is founded. Theoretically, in one area, you could have a Mexica, I could move adjacent to you with my Mexica, and then found the 3 district with no buildings in it. The Calpulli would go in the 3rd space. I would score 2 and you would score 1.
Why would you do it? To keep someone else from founding a bigger district.

So the numbers are usable but probably not very often.
Hope that helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Teplin
United States
La Mesa
California
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Makes sense to me! Thanks for the explanation. I had forgotten about the "other player's Mexica in the district you're founding" scoring.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
actually it is possible to score 3rd place in a size 3 district, but only in the second round of scoring. Remember, unfounded districts still score points at the end of the game. If Yellow has a 3 tower, Brown has a 2 tower and white has a 1 tower, then someone surrounds the three spaces to make it an unfounded 3-space district, yellow would score 3, brown 2 and white 1 at the end of the game.

(this sort of happened to me my last game--I had a tower in a 16-space unfounded district, but another player forced me to share a three-space district by closing me off with a canal)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.