Subject: Playing Solo rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jovel Castaneda
Philippines
Makati / Marikina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi. I'd like to share my Solo Play Guide since im mostly home alone. feel free to comment possible improvements.

D&D Attack Wing, Solo Play Guide
1 Randomize Maneuver
Priority:
a. Green maneuvers to remove exhaustion tokens (if applicable)
b. if maneuver is impossible or if it goes beyond play area, randomize another maneuver
c. if pivoting, randomize pivot direction
d. If landing within range 1 of an edge, shift to altitude with pivot maneuver
e. Randomize altitude
2 Randomize Action
Priority:
a. Scenario-specific action (i.e. picking up an objective token)
b. Remove face up damage cards effects (randomize if multiple face up damage cards apply)
c. remove disable tokens from upgrades (randomize if multiple upgrades apply)
d. Randomize available actions on creature card and upgrades (if applicable)
e. If feinting, randomize left or right feint
f. Randomized target actions are acceptable only if opponents are within range
3 Randomize Combat
Priority:
a. Opponents whom upgrades can be used against
- randomize if multiple opponents apply
- randomize if multiple upgrades apply
b.Opponents whom action tokens can be used against (randomize if multiple opponents apply)
c. Randomize other valid targets

*MAKE USE OF DICE OR SMARTPHONE APP TO RANDOMIZE
**ALWAYS USE YOUR BETTER JUDGEMENT, BUT NOT TO THE POINT THAT YOU'RE STRATEGIZING FOR THE OPPONENT
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casper Points
Abkhazia
Alaska
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I wrote a a solo excercise for my dragons to get the "feel" of them before a competitive game, as follows...

THE HUNT.

You will need a single Dragon and whatever specials and spells you want to test out, plus numbers 1 to 6 of the large round objective tokens and a bunch of DVDs or books or boxes able to make small "stacks" at least as high as your dragon on a 3x3 foot table though slightly bigger is also good.

Method.
Place random stacks about the table to the height of a dragon while on its stand.

The stacks represent sheer cliffs that the dragon is hunting between, moving at great speed.
For the purpose of the scenario your dragon will NOT be able to fly up over them.
Her prey is on the ground between the rocky walls.

The more narrow the distance between the stacks and the more of them there are, the harder the challenge will be.

I recommend starting with just two stacks, with a gap about 4 bases wide between them just til you get the hang of it.

Place the objective counters numbered 1-6 randomly upside down, at various points across the field, including a couple right up close to the wall of a cliff, these will be the hardest...

Set a fixed point on the table, a corner is perfect or if you are on a round table use a drink coaster or a playing card or some such to have a "home base" style start point that always remains fixed during play.

Flip over your 6 numbered objectives, now roll a six sided die and set off for the target number you rolled by the fastest route possible.

Each objective target has only 2 health, NO armor and does not move.

The game comes from counting how many dial plotted moves it takes you to destroy the random target you rolled, always starting out from the same fixed home base point.

Keep a record of your moves until the target is totally destroyed by any means your dragon possesses.

Write down your total "plotting" score (one point per dial move) to the objective your rolled and also what type of dragon set the record.

This number then becomes "the record" for flight from home base to that specific location on the field and its ultimate destruction.

When you destroy it, DONT remove the objective token you destroyed, just put a disabled counter on it.

It's important your board always stays fixed, so when you challenge the record for each objective again, you know it's always the exact same distance and that you have a chance to improve the ways you got there and beat your old record!

If you hit a cliff, with any part of your BASE (not wings) the run is considered "a bust" and it's back to square one, home base.

When you think you have mastered the 6 different plotting targets and beaten all 6 of your old records a couple times with each type of dragon, simply build a more challenging field and start again!

Happy hunting solo dragons googoo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casper Points
Abkhazia
Alaska
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Another variant for solo play is called MOVING TARGET.

Use this when you want to see how hard it is to use your dragons build or powers to knock off another dragon type.

Key to this type of solo play is the "target dragon" moves in a set fixed flight path and has two modes of play "passive" and "aggressive".

Method.
Again, as with the rules above, a fixed home base starting point that never moves is essential, as this starting point for the target dragon is what sets the tables overall orientation.

You can put in cliff stacks if you want, but while you are learning just try open sky.

The set up requires you to plot a TOTAL course for the "target dragon" ALL THE WAY AROUND the table in a giant loop and back to the home starting point.

Depending on the size of your table this can be a list of 20 or more moves you must clearly write down in a consecutive numbered sequence, that the dragon will repeat one after the other, leading it on a total journey around the table almost like setting out train tracks for a model train to follow.

Each turn, your on rails target dragon will fly along its looping sequence, move after move, turn after turn and you as the attacker can choose a random part of the board to start from to chase down and blast your moving target.

The on rails flight path takes out the thinking for the course plot of the target dragon so once you have made your repeatable sequence list, you can just relax and control the one free form dragon to hunt down the other fixed flight dragon.

In the basic passive version of play the target dragon just flies its looping path round and round the table and you practice coming in from different angles, at different speeds and blast it, so you can learn your pacing and get the feel of your dragon.

In the advance aggressive version, the target dragon still flies the same set path but also automatically Attacks any "in range" target (you) that strays into its front or rear arc, with its strongest available attack, spells or melee.

In the super advanced and aggressive version, you plot an on rails total looping course for the target dragon, through a nightmare of cliffs and narrows and it also automatically Attacks any in range target that strays into its front or rear arc, with its strongest available Attack, spells or melee.

NOTE.
Don't forget to detail the plotted moves of each point of the "on rails" target dragon clearly and well, from the fixed home base position.
If you get just one of those listed moves wrong in a game with cliffs, your target dragon will go splat... And the whole sequence will be wrecked.

If that happens, just reset and start the journey around the table again.

Once you have mastered a target course build a new more challenging one and write a new target dragon plot that is tuned to the new course.

These solo games, in edition to being great fun in both play and course design, allow you to kinda "work the bugs out" of your techniques and develope a skill set that ensures you and your dragons are the terrors of the skies

Hope you guys enjoy them!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jovel Castaneda
Philippines
Makati / Marikina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i played a solo game before that goes like this:

1. positioned Nymmestra at the North-East portion of the table. she is to be rescued. she will only do defensive rolls and follow her rescuer to an exit

2. Harper Troop starting position at the South-West portion of the table. They are to rescue Nymmestra and bring her to an exit

3. 4 Unique dragons positioned at different vertical points of the table. they are to move horizontally back and forth and do melee attack to anyone in sight

4. 3 exit points somewhat clustered but positioned somewhat center of the table

The scenarios that you can solo play (with fixed AI) are actually bound by your imagination. I did the randomizing of opponents just to give myself surprises now and then...mix this up with scenario play and you can have a blast on your own
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terrence Miltner

Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like it. I was thinking of putting out a slalom course of flags to practice flying around. But the random aspect of the six different numbered targets is cool. Glad I snagged some of the tokens from the first month OP to set out as a course.

And your target practice is a good idea as well. Thanks for posting both of these.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Megan Potter
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it possible for you to upload a picture of your set up? I'm a visual person, I think I get what you are going for here but I'd like to be sure I'm "seeing" it right in my head.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Both_Sides_of My_Table
United Kingdom
Market Drayton
Shropshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been trying some solo games (dragon on dragon air battles...dragons wouldn't belittle themselves by walking about on the ground).

Using the dials on http://s-fear.com/xwing/ships.htm X wing or Y wing seems to work faily well so long as the colour is ignored-referring, instead to the colour on the dragons own movement dial for applying stress tokens (the copper dragon needs some slight tweeting. If a suggested move is not on the dial eg. 1 forward is just upped by 1 to 2 forward)

It's not perfect and there can be a good number of collisions at close quarters but to give a fairly realistic AI opponent movement, it works quite well.

Just a suggestion for any one to test out their dragons.

As for some form of rule base governing use of breath, spell and melee weapons, I'm still play testing this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casper Points
Abkhazia
Alaska
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
LimitlessMegan wrote:
Is it possible for you to upload a picture of your set up? I'm a visual person, I think I get what you are going for here but I'd like to be sure I'm "seeing" it right in my head.

My set up would only serve to further confuse you Megan... In writing these rules for the forum I modified them to use things people may have in their homes to create the "stacks" for cliffs.

My actual set up for this rules set uses the way fancier Heroscape terrain system to create more real looking cliffs and mountains for my dragons to weave in and out of.

Not everyone has it... So I replaced that component in the rules with stacks of books and DVDs which still make great cliffs... If you don't own a ton of heroscape like I do

You can see here from this photo taken of another geeks collection how Heroscape is the ultimate fantasy terrain builder.
I don't have quite as much as seen here... But I do have a lot!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jovel Castaneda
Philippines
Makati / Marikina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
updated my solo-guide to include scenario-specific actions
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.