Popular Tags: [View All]
stephane guesdon
France
aix en provence
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
New Pictures on Monolith Facebook

This is paint by Martin Grandbarbe (Work in Progress)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kostas K.
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zelata & the Wolf look horribly bad, I hope this is the exception to otherwise awesome sculpts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Etienne Aubert
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
so... is Shevatas left or right handed ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
LIFEFORM - LIVE NOW ON KICKSTARTER!!!
badge
LIFEFORM - LIVE NOW ON KICKSTARTER!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Blutch75 wrote:

Ambidextrous.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
United States
Summerville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
What daring! What outrageousness! What insolence! What arrogance!... I salute you.
badge
Conan! What is best in life? Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.
mbmbmbmbmb
Zelata does look unfinished.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erwan Hascoët
France
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Shevatas is right handed. This is just he image which is mirrored.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
stephane guesdon
France
aix en provence
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Conan painted by Martin Grandbarbe ( Work in progress )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mad Martigan
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lots of details... there's even stitches on the cape blush
i'll never dare paint that!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Adachi
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ophidien wrote:
Conan painted by Martin Grandbarbe ( Work in progress )

Gorgeous paint job! Nice miniature. The weapons looks awful almost like a caricature though. I guess I can easily mod them into something better...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Brock
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Blutch75 wrote:

Depends on which side he hangs his scabbard on, that day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T C
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kostool13 wrote:
Zelata & the Wolf look horribly bad, I hope this is the exception to otherwise awesome sculpts.

I agree, it looks more like a miniature of a stone statue than a person. In particular the front of the dress is flat and the pose is quite boring. The face is also very lacking in detail, like a worn stone statue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
crystalboy crystalboy
msg tools
morpheus133 wrote:
kostool13 wrote:

I agree, it looks more like a miniature of a stone statue than a person. In particular the front of the dress is flat and the pose is quite boring. The face is also very lacking in detail, like a worn stone statue.

I agree concerning the lake of texture on the dress and the standing position which could be better. Althought I clearly don't have the level, I really would like to see the face painted by a good painter. I'm sure the expression could be great with good shades.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T C
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yeah I was just expecting a lot more details, compared to something like this:

This is just really poor in comparison:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carmen Cerra
United States
Ames
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Everybody's a critic

Just remember, these are pieces for a board game, not boutique figures awaiting the brushes of Golden Demon winners. These are great for being just board game pieces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T C
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure, but from what I have read they increased the price so they could make harder plastic models, and part of the marketing of the game is the hiring of a very talented sculpting team. The sculptor credited with Zelata has done some really great work for other companies.

The sculptor is listed as Gregory Clavilier, you can see some of his other work here:

http://miniset.net/sculptor/gregory-clavilier

All the CMON games are pieces for a board game too at a similar price with high quality miniatures than this particular sculpt.

Hiring a bunch of sculptors capable of creating boutique figures waiting for Golden Demon winners to paint them up kind of loses it's appeal if they aren't measuring up to the detail of the average $3 miniature from Reaper Bones collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cable
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
morpheus133 wrote:
Sure, but from what I have read they increased the price so they could make harder plastic models, and part of the marketing of the game is the hiring of a very talented sculpting team. The sculptor credited with Zelata has done some really great work for other companies.

The sculptor is listed as Gregory Clavilier, you can see some of his other work here:

http://miniset.net/sculptor/gregory-clavilier

All the CMON games are pieces for a board game too at a similar price with high quality miniatures than this particular sculpt.

Hiring a bunch of sculptors capable of creating boutique figures waiting for Golden Demon winners to paint them up kind of loses it's appeal if they aren't measuring up to the detail of the average $3 miniature from Reaper Bones collection.

I think TC has a point here. I would rather the community speak up, in an attempt to get the best quality possible from the developers, than just stand by and let a so so model pass through.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Colm
msg tools
mbmb
crystalboy wrote:
morpheus133 wrote:
kostool13 wrote:

I agree concerning the lake of texture on the dress and the standing position which could be better. Althought I clearly don't have the level, I really would like to see the face painted by a good painter. I'am sure the expression could be great with good shades.

Explanation: one-piece plastic shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T C
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a poor explanation considering the example I posted is also one piece, and there are hundreds of one piece plastic miniatures on the market with more details and dynamic poses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carmen Cerra
United States
Ames
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Even artists have off-days.
Or maybe he wasn't paid his usual rate?

Or perhaps you confuse "weak" sculpting with "simple" sculpting.
Not every mini needs every detail sculpted to super-Rackham quality to be an effective representation of the subject.
Zelata doesn't wear full druid-like regalia, skulls, feathers with an emroidered tunic of a thousand pleats and many-colored beads; she's a simple witch who lives alone, poorly and patiently in a hut away from civilization. She eats frugally and drinks heady beer. I'd almost say this figure has a little too much ornamentation for the character.

You can read more about Zelata in "Hour of the Dragon," the most epic of the Conan stories.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
stephane guesdon
France
aix en provence
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cable
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Now, the Giant Snake on the other hand looks pretty bad ass!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T C
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Carmen wrote:

All that is fine, though with art, if the finished product is bad because of an "off-day", then don't accept it and have them do it on a good day. Maybe he wasn't paid his full rate, but advertising award winning sculptors and then paying them to make low quality sculpts kind of defeats the benefit of hiring them in the first place. Now maybe all the rest of the sculpts in the game will be amazing and this will be a minor blemish on an otherwise brilliant collection, but it does suck that the blemish is one of the heroes. There is much less incentive for me to buy add-ons or deluxe versions of the game with more miniatures included, if I can buy better quality proxy miniatures for cheaper from other sources.

The Carmen wrote:
Not every mini needs every detail sculpted to super-Rackham quality to be an effective representation of the subject.
Zelata doesn't wear full druid-like regalia, skulls, feathers with an emroidered tunic of a thousand pleats and many-colored beads; she's a simple witch who lives alone, poorly and patiently in a hut away from civilization. She eats frugally and drinks heady beer. I'd almost say this figure has a little too much ornamentation for the character.

You can read more about Zelata in "Hour of the Dragon," the most epic of the Conan stories.

I think you are missing my point. It's not about exactly what details are on the miniature or that they should have used my example instead. The example was just to contrast what is possible on a miniature that retails for $8 that is a one piece figure. My complaint centers around having a pose that looks like an expressionless old woman staring at the TV while chopping vegtables for a salad. With no facial details and a dress that is unnaturally flat. Even simple dresses generally create folds in the fabric as they fall down. Even simple characters can have some sort of details on the face. Here is an example of a figure dressed very simply while still having an amazing amount of details in the face and clothing and a more dynamic pose:

At any rate, if you think the Zelata miniature looks great, then I doubt we will ever see eye to eye on the matter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carmen Cerra
United States
Ames
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"...a pose that looks like an expressionless old woman staring at the TV while chopping vegetables for a salad. With no facial details and a dress that is unnaturally flat..."

Yeah, the dress is certainly a bit flat on the front, but the rest of your description describes Zelata's lifestyle pretty well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
crystalboy crystalboy
msg tools
morpheus133 wrote:

I think you are missing my point. It's not about exactly what details are on the miniature or that they should have used my example instead. The example was just to contrast what is possible on a miniature that retails for $8 that is a one piece figure. My complaint centers around having a pose that looks like an expressionless old woman staring at the TV while chopping vegtables for a salad. With no facial details and a dress that is unnaturally flat. Even simple dresses generally create folds in the fabric as they fall down. Even simple characters can have some sort of details on the face. Here is an example of a figure dressed very simply while still having an amazing amount of details in the face and clothing and a more dynamic pose:

At any rate, if you think the Zelata miniature looks great, then I doubt we will ever see eye to eye on the matter.

I'm afraid I disagree. The mini you're showing is just ugly. The face looks like a zombie and she looks like any common peasant. It reminds me the old minis we had in the 90's.
I don't know how the final Zelata's mini (plastic one) will look like, but on the face off the one shown, you have wrinkles and she is really contrasting with classical medfan minis we can find.
The only issue for me is the big flat part on the front of her dress.
Last point; I'm not sure, because I didn't have it in hand, but I think the mini is very small. I imagine a tiny old woman next to a big wolf. We would need to have another mini next to the 2 minis shown to figure the size.

http://obskures.de/s/obswpc/uploads/2014/11/zelatathewitchcl...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Adachi
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Carmen wrote:
Everybody's a critic ;)

Just remember, these are pieces for a board game, not boutique figures awaiting the brushes of Golden Demon winners. These are great for being just board game pieces.

The Carmen wrote:

The only way I can make your posts make sense is by imagining that your avatar is really you. :P Anyway, the points made above are true: it is a bad and ininspired sculpt. It lacks all things that make a model good: pose, texture, ambience, volume, details, spatial separation of parts (bodily features, accessories etc). As was also mentioned above, it is simply absurd to hire some of the best names in the business to make mediocre figures. Defending these "bad day" exemplars makes you come off as an entrenched evangelist and fanboy for something that hasn't even been released yet, which actually is to the detriment of the game and producers at a time when the best thing we can give the developers is honest and forthright feedback on what to improve and how to do so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.