Should I change it at all?

Thanks
Hack

Monster Gang

3-8 Players
15-30 minutes
Age 8 and up

Contents:
108 monster cards (0-8) 12 each (2 different monsters per number, 6 yellow and 6 white)
2 dice
8 colored player chips
50 victory tokens

Summary:
Send your gang of monsters into the streets to battle for victory!
You need to earn the most chips by winning monster battles and guessing who will win each battle.

Setup:
Each player selects a colored player chip for betting.
Roll the dice to see who goes first, highest total wins.
This person is also the dealer.
Deal 18 cards to each person. (3 at a time)
For 6-7 players, deal 15 cards to each player.
For 8 players, deal 13 cards to each player.

Instructions:
The dealer will go first by rolling the 2 dice.
The higher number represents the amount of monster cards each player will send into battle.
The lower number represents the amount of cards that will be face up and visible before betting.
If both dice are the same number, there will be no face up visible cards.

Each player chooses the correct number of cards and places them face down in front of them.
The dealer makes sure all the players placed the correct number of cards.
The dealer then says "Ready! - 1,2 ,3 flip"
Each player will flip the number of determined by the dice roll.

Now it is time to bet.
The dealer bets first by placing their player marker in front of the player they think will win the battle.
You may bet on yourself.
Once the dealer bets, betting will continue in a clockwise order around the table.
It is important to stay in order.
Once everyone bets, the dealer then says "Ready! - 1,2 ,3 battle"

The highest total point value of the cards wins the battle.
The winner of the battle keeps all the cards from the battle in a pile face up in front of them.

TIE BREAKER (battle)
The yellow numbers on the monster cards are more valuable than the white numbers.
If there is a tie, the player with the highest total of yellow points wins the tie.
If it is still a tie both players win and are both paid like winners.
The cards are randomly distributed to all players in the tie.
If there is an odd number of cards, those cards are discarded.

SCORING
1 victory chip is awarded to the winner of the battle.
2 victory chips are awarded to who ever picked the correct winner.
* If you bet on yourself and you won the battle you would receive 3 victory chips for that round.

Strategy:
Positioning is key. If you are last to bet, you have an advantage, but everyone will know that.
Decide on the right time to sacrifice your lower valued cards.
Ex. If you are the first to go and you rolled (3, 3) 3 cards face down.
You can dump your worst cards and bet on yourself.
Most people will follow you and you are keeping others from scoring 2 points, while making your hand stronger.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Blank
Germany
Münster
Northrine-Westphalia
flag msg tools
badge
If the sun was always shining and our load always light // We’d be shaking like a leaf with every God given night // And we’d break under the weight // Of any pain that ever came in this life
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I got it. I wonder, though, whether there are better ways to either randomize or change according to the round played the number of monsters/face-up monsters. Rolling die is ok, I guess, it just feels like there might be something better to do so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Odd Hackwelder
Taiwan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kolmogorv wrote:
I think I got it. I wonder, though, whether there are better ways to either randomize or change according to the round played the number of monsters/face-up monsters. Rolling die is ok, I guess, it just feels like there might be something better to do so.

You are right. We talked about this is my designers group. One way would be to have cards with 0-3. When they are gone you reshuffle and start again. But I didn't want more cards. The dice roll works fine, but if 3 is rolled a lot the game goes faster. I am open to suggestions. Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Odd Hackwelder
Taiwan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is some of the art. Instead of including dice, I could change one 2 chip to a 3 chip. Then each player draws in a bag with 3 ones, 2 twos and one 3, or something like that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Debien
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If points are scored via winning battles and correctly guessing the winners, why the need to keep the card tricks?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Koen Hendrix
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mb
There is no mention of whether/how the dealer role changes during the game. First round is randomly rolled, but after that? Seems important in a game where your turn order position is so important.

And (this is a small thing) you may want to replace
Hackogames wrote:
The lower number represents the amount of cards that will be face up and visible before betting.
with the simpler
Quote:
The lower number represents the amount of cards that will be face down during betting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Odd Hackwelder
Taiwan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
casualgod wrote:
If points are scored via winning battles and correctly guessing the winners, why the need to keep the card tricks?

You mean why does the round winner keep cards in front of them? Those are for a end of game tiebreak. Did I not explain that well enough?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Odd Hackwelder
Taiwan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
khendrix wrote:
There is no mention of whether/how the dealer role changes during the game. First round is randomly rolled, but after that? Seems important in a game where your turn order position is so important.

And (this is a small thing) you may want to replace
Hackogames wrote:
with the simpler
Quote:
The lower number represents the amount of cards that will be face down during betting.

Thanks Koen

The dealer moves clockwise after each round.

I like the simpler version.

What about the dice?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Debien
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hackogames wrote:
casualgod wrote:

You mean why does the round winner keep cards in front of them? Those are for a end of game tiebreak. Did I not explain that well enough?

I thought the tie breaker rules were to determine the winner of an individual battle, not the entire game. Still not sure what the cards are kept for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Castellani
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I believe the confusion stems from not saying when the game ends, or when rounds end. You describe what happens per battle well, but not how the whole game plays out.

Does the game end when there are no more cards left in each players' hand? If so, what happens if everyone only has 3 cards left, but a 6 and a 4 are rolled?

Do you ever re-shuffle and re-deal? If so, when? After each hand? After each person has gone through their entire hand?

Does the game go until a specific number of VP is reached? Or a certain number of total rounds? A certain number of battles?

I think the confusion with other posts assumes that cards are kept in front of you not only after each battle, but until a re-shuffle condition is met (or if no re-shuffle, until the end of the game) - IF there is no reshuffle, you would need to say if these cards are also a tiebreaker for a tie in VP once all cards are played. If there is re-shuffling, Does the tiebreaker stack with your previous battle's cards?

Questions like this aren't answered, or at least are stated in a way that cause confusion.

Hope that helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Odd Hackwelder
Taiwan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dandin wrote:
I believe the confusion stems from not saying when the game ends, or when rounds end. You describe what happens per battle well, but not how the whole game plays out.

Does the game end when there are no more cards left in each players' hand? If so, what happens if everyone only has 3 cards left, but a 6 and a 4 are rolled?

Do you ever re-shuffle and re-deal? If so, when? After each hand? After each person has gone through their entire hand?

Does the game go until a specific number of VP is reached? Or a certain number of total rounds? A certain number of battles?

I think the confusion with other posts assumes that cards are kept in front of you not only after each battle, but until a re-shuffle condition is met (or if no re-shuffle, until the end of the game) - IF there is no reshuffle, you would need to say if these cards are also a tiebreaker for a tie in VP once all cards are played. If there is re-shuffling, Does the tiebreaker stack with your previous battle's cards?

Questions like this aren't answered, or at least are stated in a way that cause confusion.

Hope that helps.

Great comments,
I can answer and fix all those, but in the morning.
Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Odd Hackwelder
Taiwan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
casualgod wrote:
Hackogames wrote:
casualgod wrote:

I thought the tie breaker rules were to determine the winner of an individual battle, not the entire game. Still not sure what the cards are kept for.

The higher yellow number for a battle breaks a tie for a battle. The total yellow points of all the cards in front of you determine the tie break for a game ending tie. Game ends when cards are gone. You could play an alternate way to a certain number score, but I don't know if I will include that. What do you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Debien
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hackogames wrote:
casualgod wrote:
Hackogames wrote:
casualgod wrote:

The higher yellow number for a battle breaks a tie for a battle. The total yellow points of all the cards in front of you determine the tie break for a game ending tie. Game ends when cards are gone. You could play an alternate way to a certain number score, but I don't know if I will include that. What do you think?

Yeah, that isn't clear at all. would include a section on tie breakers in the scoring section, not just the battles section.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Castellani
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hackogames wrote:
Game ends when cards are gone. You could play an alternate way to a certain number score, but I don't know if I will include that. What do you think?

If this is the case, does "first person" still rotate clockwise after each battle? If so, you might have to change your wording from dealer to 'starting player' - so it is established that after the dealer deals, there is nothing remaining special about being the dealer (aside from being the first starting player).

Also, I certainly don't feel like adding a 2 sentence "Variant Way to Play" could do any harm. However, I do not feel like it is necessary. I've played Pinochle my whole life and only recently learned it could go "just 4 hands" instead of "to 150 points" - and both were completely fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.