Subject: Remove the Diplomacy card variant? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Máté Kovács
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
mb
So after a few games, I get the idea, that maybe I should remove the Diplomacy card.

Mainly cause of the Blue race. To start the game with that card, is way to powerful.

I know, I know, probably we are not wise enough in the strategy, but anyhow, I do not feel, that this little change would be that bad. The Blue player could still choose from two options.

I do not want to see this card in the game, even if the blue player does not use it. Maybe it could work with draw 2 cubes, instead of 3 house rule.

Would you like to remove this power?

What do you think about this situation?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Hodgson
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there! I feel your pain.

Saying that blue A starts with alchemy is a simple fix.

I don't really have a problem with a player getting diplomacy during the game - it has a diplomatic benefit effect for neighbours, and does not actually give any victory points at game end. The blue side A 1 turn reset from turn 1 is scary, but it's harder to achieve by buying techs (with grey cubes) and as games get faster the benefits will be reduced anyway.

I'm interested to see how the 'only draw 2' variant you suggest works of course.

Several other experienced players say that the 1 turn reset is not that strong, so it's still worth testing against it, so let's see!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Fiend
United States
Avon Lake
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Blue a lot (as they actually look like me!)

but they've had a hard time winning until tonight when I beat Miss Panda with them. I've used the "Racial Effects Errata" from the start which makes them start with a grey cube in their bag. It makes the turn 1 reset just a bit tougher. Still, starting with a swamp on your board makes it tougher to explore especially if it's hemmed in by a Mountain or Forest (3 MP to move into).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Máté Kovács
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
mb
It is nice to hear, that they become weaker just enough. But you won anyway? Was it a tight end?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Fiend
United States
Avon Lake
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
It is nice to hear, that they become weaker just enough. But you won anyway? Was it a tight end?

It was the 4th attempt at Blue and they finally won. This game being basically a Euro hybrid doesn't leave a lot to chance and I believe winning has a lot to do with what Tech cards you get and the synergy between them.
Chance comes in on HOW you draw your cubes. Sometimes I draw cubes that are very helpful and in other games the cubes drawn don't make any sense, in this game it seemed every cube I drew was perfect especially using "Diplomacy" every reset.

The 1st card I bought was "Havens" which let me use a grey cube and unneeded purple to get Clones to the front. "Technical Improvements" was used to keep only the right mix of grey cubes in the bag and "Beast Riding" gave me some punch in combat.

We always play the LONG game but with my variant http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/114602/prime-objective-vic... that makes the Central Hex the Victory Condition instead of Placing Your Last Miniature. If we used that original rule we'd still be playing trying to place that last miniature because we're very combat aggressive.

With everything else being almost the same the reason I won was because she couldn't dislodge me out of that Central Hex once I started producing Clones their and the City space gave 2 Gems. I out-pointed her 27-14 and that was the difference. Map position is also critical in this game and I was fortunate enough to get a sand City that produced a Flying to get me moving out of the Swamp and into the Forest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.