Will Green
United States
Alameda
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am looking for some greater insight than I can gather from the posts about these games. I am looking to buy one of them, (or another WWII eastern front game), that can be, depending on the scenario;

* completed in 3-5 hours
* has less than 20-25 minute set-up time
* is fun
* has great replay value
* is "historical" (whatever degree that may mean to you)
* a game you've played
* if you've played all of the above, (and more on this front) please weigh in, with that info, as I would like strict comparisons between the games.

***Thanks, in advance, for your thoughts.***

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played it yet, but the next game on my list is Columbia's EastFront II.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can speak for my experience with The Russian Campaign:

* completed in 3-5 hours: CHECK! ('though closer to 5 than 3)
* has less than 20-25 minute set-up time: CHECK!
* is fun: DOUBLE CHECK!
* has great replay value: CHECK!
* is "historical" (whatever degree that may mean to you): CHECK (although provides perhaps more of the "feel" of the Eastern Front than perhaps the "reality" of it - at least according to some)
* a game you've played: CHECK! (last played two months ago - I haven't finished the session report yet, but posted pics under the game entry)

I own Russian Front but have not played it. East Front looks very interesting and might also be a good fit here, but others will have to comment. Europe Engulfed also looks good, but I'm not sure if it has any "Eastern Front-only" scenarios or campaigns, as the game models the entire war in Europe, not just the East.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Von Ahnen
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My first wargame was Russian Campaign, when it first was published by Avalon Hill (there was an earlier version by Jedco). It is still one of my favorites. I can not compare it to the others, since I never found a reason to "upgrade" to another version. It is still in print 30+ years later. Enough said.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bohrer
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Russian Campaign

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Carvin
United States
Hamburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Join our Berks Boardgamers group (Hamburg, Pa) via Facebook!
badge
Ah, the diabolical Dice … a word of caution; don't throw them when you're alone. The fiends lack loyalty, and their notion of nourishment is quite disturbing.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've heard that Europe Engulfed is more along the line of 8-12 hours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Brown
United Kingdom
STOCKPORT
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
Europe Engulfed is closer to 15 hours and it doesn't just cover the eastern front. However, as me and a friend can testify, it is easy to set up and write up the positions so that the campaign can be played very easily over a number of sessions. Great game

Russian Campaign - I've had a lot of fun with this. I haven't played it in years but it was a great game.

Russian Front - Got it tried to play it but couldn't be bothered. It may be a great game but it just didn't ring my bells. (and I though it had a poor rule book)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EastFront is the only one of those I've played, so this may not be very useful, but:

* completed in 3-5 hours - Sort of. The listed time is 4-6 hours per scenario, and we have finished some in 4 hours. (Well, by "some," I think I mean "one." We're slow, so we tend to be closer to 6 hours for the summer scenarios.)
* has less than 20-25 minute set-up time - Sort of. Unless you're using the historical Barbarossa setup, the scenarios give you (for each of half a dozen unit types) a number of units and a total strength, so you might pick out 11 armor units, and set them to a total of 30 strength (each ranges from 1-4). This sort of thing is pretty quick (you're not going to spend 20 minutes hunting for pieces), but you have a lot of freedom in your setup, so it's possible to spend 20 minutes deciding where you want to deploy them! But coming up with a setup which will hit the other guy by surprise is part of the fun.
* is fun - Yes! http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/1103829#1103829, or see some of the session reports.
* has great replay value - Yes! It has eight 6-month scenarios which you can play individually (that's almost always how I've played) or link together into the whole campaign. Some people here (not I) have played >100 times!
* is "historical" (whatever degree that may mean to you) - well, "yes," but I'm not really a historian.
* a game you've played - Yeah, I think this is my most-played game (by time, not number of plays) in the last year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Gordon
Australia
Adelaide
SA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played Russian Campaign a lot and can confirm the above comments and general enthusiasm. I have played games that have gone a lot longer than 5 hours though.
I purchased Russian Front and quite enjoyed the game and the innovative mechanism. It really is fun to play. It meets all your criteria except for game length. The game takes considerably longer than 10 hours to play. I also have an issue with play balance. I have found it next to impossible for the Germans to win - maybe it is just me. Perhaps it needs a fresh re-visit although now there is so much other great stuff out there - and less time available!
Good luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattwran
United States
LONGMEADOW
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played The Russian Campaign and Russian Front. Of the two only TRC fits your length and set-up time requirements with RF running way too long in both categories. On the other hand, I like the added detail of RF - much more interesting blitz and air warfare rules in my opinion. Plus the map for RF is gorgeous. My biggest problem with TRC is how often the game ends in a draw. I've played this game maybe six times with five draws and one German victory. But that might not square with the experience of other gamers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gotthard Heinrici (prev. Graf Strachwitz)
Germany
Düsseldorf
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For blocks, go with EastFront II, for Hex & Counter go with TRC.

They are actually very similar and I dare to say that EastFront is like TRC but then with Blocks.

Buy what suits you most: blocks or the counters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skip Franklin
United States
Oklahoma City
OK
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Russian Campaign.

The new L2DG version is exciting in that the hexes and counters are larger than the original making it easy for older gamers. laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Green
United States
Alameda
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all your feedback! I've decided to go with East Front II, and Europe Engulfed...the others will have to wait.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.