Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthias Segers
Belgium
Brecht
Antwerpen
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Anyone else reading this comic series? There's a lot of X-wing combat in it, but it kinda bugs me though. They're always using their torpedoes, with lots of nifty tricks, instead of good old-fashioned dogfighting. I understand they need to make it a bit more interesting to read, but it doesn't match the combat from the original movies much. It's a bit more like the Rogue Squadron novels and pc games I guess, but more gimmicky.

What's worse though, are the graphics themselves. Most of them are very well done - I especially think Luke and Leia are very well drawn - but some of the fighters... Ugh... The perspective all wrong, the X-wing's s-foils almost completely vertical, it's nose not very sleek but more like a z95's... It's just very uneven, because sometimes they really do resemble the design of these ships.

Anyone else reading it and wanna share thoughts?

I do want to point out that while I have (obviously) some complaints, the feel of the comic and the general theme and setting is great. The colouring is fantastic, and the parts with Darth Vader are always a joy to read.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen T
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am interested, but will wait until I either get a tablet (my laptop is falling apart, might be time to give in...) or it comes in a hardcover collection I wouldn't mind on my bookshelf. I just can't do the cardboard boxes of comics any more.

Edit, from the below comment-

So, are there two series? Is the marvel one the expected highest seller thing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Chadwick

Charlotte
North Carolina
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone know anything about the new comics that are coming out with Marvel? I haven't taken a look, but saw that they are due to be released soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoffer Wahlsten
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
monkeykins wrote:
I am interested, but will wait until I either get a tablet (my laptop is falling apart, might be time to give in...) or it comes in a hardcover collection I wouldn't mind on my bookshelf. I just can't do the cardboard boxes of comics any more.

Won't be happening as Dark Horse as of january first don't hold the rights to the Star Wars comics anymore. Marvel might reprint them someday in the future, but I doubt it'll be in hardcover format.

So I'd suggest going on Amazon and getting them if you're interested, as everything will soon be out of print.

(I almost had a all the Star Wars omnibuses I wanted, but the day before I was about to order the Knights of the Old Republic ones, volume 1 became out of print. T'was a sad day.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cheng
Taiwan
Taipei City
n/a
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
The Rocketman wrote:
Anyone else reading this comic series? There's a lot of X-wing combat in it, but it kinda bugs me though. They're always using their torpedoes, with lots of nifty tricks, instead of good old-fashioned dogfighting. I understand they need to make it a bit more interesting to read, but it doesn't match the combat from the original movies much. It's a bit more like the Rogue Squadron novels and pc games I guess, but more gimmicky.

What's worse though, are the graphics themselves. Most of them are very well done - I especially think Luke and Leia are very well drawn - but some of the fighters... Ugh... The perspective all wrong, the X-wing's s-foils almost completely vertical, it's nose not very sleek but more like a z95's... It's just very uneven, because sometimes they really do resemble the design of these ships.

Anyone else reading it and wanna share thoughts?

I do want to point out that while I have (obviously) some complaints, the feel of the comic and the general theme and setting is great. The colouring is fantastic, and the parts with Darth Vader are always a joy to read.

I was a very big fan of the Michael A. Stackpole X-wing comic and novel series, so "In the Shadow of Yavin" didn't quiet catch my attention. The X-wing action in there are no a lot of fun.

heychadwick wrote:
Does anyone know anything about the new comics that are coming out with Marvel? I haven't taken a look, but saw that they are due to be released soon.

They are coming out with three ongoing:

Star Wars
Star Wars: Leia
Star Wars: Vader

I believe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Smits
Netherlands
Nijmegen
Nederland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yup, 3 comics from Marvel. All will be official Canon, aka in the same continuity as the movies, the Clone Wars animated series (The CGI one not the classic animated one), Star Wars Rebels and everything else going forward. (Unlike everything that came out before, which is now considered Legends continuity)

Star Wars is the first one, the main title. It tells the story of the original cast between Episodes 4 and 5

Star Wars: Darth Vader is coming next

And Leia will be launched in january I believe.

I hope the mods won't mind that this is not boardgame related. But come on guys. It's Star Wars!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Chadwick

Charlotte
North Carolina
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I did look these up and it seems the Leia ones will be a limited series. Or a set series? 5 issues or something. Whatever you call it. I'm not a comic guy.

Looking forward to these!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.