Subject: Carcassonne: The Horse (unofficial expansion) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Exit 191
United States
Buckeye
Arizona
flag msg tools
Look to the past and learn for the future.
badge
World Cup time!!!! All work in the morning will include the tv being on Fox or Telemundo. :)
mbmbmbmbmb
Carcassonne: The Horse

In many areas the horse, not the dog, is man’s best friend. This expansion builds on that fact. Horses were very important in medieval times. They helped plow fields, carry loads on roads, and were ridden by brave knights. Well, now the almighty horse has come to Carcassonne.

This unofficial expansion introduces 7 horse tiles, 2 wooden horses, and a six-sided die. This horse is a sign of good fortune. Anytime a feature is completed that has a horse on any tile of that feature, the scoring player gets 3 bonus points (if two horses are on the feature the scoring player gets 5 bonus points).

Whenever a horse tile is played, the horse goes onto that tile. If playing with two horses, the horse that is not in play goes to the tile. If both are already in play, the tile placer decides which horse to move to the tile just placed. In a game of 2-3 players one horse is used; games of 4+ players use both horses.

The movement of the horse is determined by the six-sided die. Each time a road is completed the player that completed the road roles the die and then moves the horse(s) the number of tiles as determined by the die roll. The die rolls can be split between the horses if playing with 4+ players. The horse cannot go over the same tile twice in one movement sequence (similar to the dragon in Carcassonne: The Princess & The Dragon). The horse can be on the same tile as the dragon.

This unofficial expansion contains:
7 Horse tiles
2 Wooden Horse pieces
1 Six-sided Die

Carcassonne: The Horse requires Carcassonne to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Newman
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like fun. Where does one obtain such tiles and horses?

GameGuy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Badger
England
London
Enfield
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The tiles have been posted in the images.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Exit 191
United States
Buckeye
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
World Cup time!!!! All work in the morning will include the tv being on Fox or Telemundo. :)
mbmbmbmbmb

Here are the tiles. I got the horses from a German wooden toy company called Erzgebirge. I got the set called "village with church" or "dorf mit kirche" in German. I picked it up at a store called Tuesday Morning for about $5 (in the toy section). I have not been able find it on the internet anywhere though. The horses are wooden and a little bigger than a meeple and half as wide. You can probably find horses if you look in toy sections of good stores I would think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Exit 191
United States
Buckeye
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shameless plug: This and many other unofficial expansions are found in my geeklist about such.

http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/16033

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach Toups
United States
Las Cruces
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Intriguging. (sp!)

Anyway, I know there was another thread on here about this, and that I didn't find it very informative: how do you make your custom tiles?

The best thing I can think to do is to get a spare set of tiles, and then paste the new art onto them. How have you done it?
-Zach

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Exit 191
United States
Buckeye
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
to make tiles I buy the full sheet label paper (I use Avery 8165, comes in 25 sheet packs). I set up the tiles (528x528 pixels or 1.76"x1.76" each) in photoshop and print at 600 dpi. They come out real well and it is hard to tell the difference between them and the original. I also buy extra sets and use the original tiles to make the new ones. I have bought certain expansions to use and other times just bought another blue box (original) to get more tiles for your money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Exit 191
United States
Buckeye
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
a place to get wooden horses (in Germany)

http://www.muecke-hotelberatung.de/english/index.html?pawns_...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davo Brawn
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently bought the Games Quarterly mini-expansion.
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/26615

Instead of making my own tiles for the horse expansion, i just put horse stickers on the GQ expansion tiles.

Easy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Hayter
United States
Verona
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Question on scoring: do the horse tiles themselves give a bonus? I.e., do they score like the shields on city tiles?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davo Brawn
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, just completed feature(s) on which the horse is.
It's like the horse is used to do the work.

The horse tiles detemine when the horse can move (like dragon tiles).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The root of all evil... but you can call me cookie.
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
My girlfriend and I have been playing a lot of 2 player Carc lately and we've adopted The Horse variant and like him a lot. We have played with the variant though to try and get the more horse movement and really shake things up...we've got a LOT of tiles with all the expansions and well the board can get big so that horse needs to gallop!

Here's what we do.

Using the 7 tiles as per normal. Just like with the Dragon rule if you pull a horse tile you move the horse instantly to that tile...however like the Dragon's volcano tiles you are then NOT permitted to place a meeple nor can you move the Fairy. Official Hans Im Gluck FAQ states these rules. The idea is you did place a wooden figure on the tile so you are done.

For movement the die roll was unsatisfying. So we implemented that ANY TIME a road is completed whether or not it is scored (in other words you play a tile to complete a city but by placing the tile you ALSO completed a road with which you will not be scoring) the horse moves. Now there are cases where you will play a tile and two perhaps 3 roads complete. That's cool cause our movement rule is you move the horse a number of spaces equal to the number of tiles in the completed road. So drop a 2 tile road into completion move the horse 2 spaces. Complete a 3 tile and a 4 tile road with one tile placement move the horse 7 spaces.

This eliminates the die roll and actually creates a bit of a tactics in what roads to complete and where.

As just a final thought...we play 2 player a lot so for the horse figure we simply pull a pig of an unused color...being as are using a PIG as a HORSE it's funny then to think of the Hans Im Gluck logo of the guy riding a pig! Almost fitting!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.