The Battle of Five Armies» Forums » Rules

Subject: Combined Attack, "Defender", and Fate Card question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kyle Dresser
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
Can someone walk me through the sequence of how combined attacks work?

I don't really understanding the timing of maneuver cards, which cards the defender (single army) affect which attacking army, and when, etc.

Also, who is the 'defender' (like when checking terrain superiority)? Is it always the army that DID NOT initiate the combat? Or is it something less obvious like, the person not rolling dice right now?

Question 3: When I draw a fate card that can be used by a FP character, where is it stored until I play it? Is it counted in my 6-card event and story hand? Are they continuous and left on the table when drawn or played, or kept concealed until activated? Are they typically one-shot or continuous (I have in mind the Eagles are Nasty Creatures - or something like that- where you attack the same army in the mountains with extra dice). Cards like that I couldn't figure out if they were continuous and triggered at will or one-shots.

Thanks!

P.S. I've played three games now as the FP and had my first win (15 on fate track) last night. Second game I lost on like turn 4. First game we only played two turns while reading rulebook to learn how to play (took 3.5 hours). So far I haven't played a game under 3 hours. Here's to the future!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
I will try my best from memory:

kdresser wrote:
Can someone walk me through the sequence of how combined attacks work?

I don't really understanding the timing of maneuver cards, which cards the defender (single army) affect which attacking army, and when, etc.

Every round you select which army you are attacking with for that round. Whichever army you choose becomes the 'attacking army' for that round, and will be the one to take damage or other effects from combat cards.

If it's the same army as last round, nothing changes. Your played manoeuvre cards stay on the table as usual, unless you play a Regroup card.

However if you swap army, then you get to take all the manoeuvre cards back into your hand - essentially the army you are now using has had chance to regroup while the other army was attacking.

Quote:
Also, who is the 'defender' (like when checking terrain superiority)? Is it always the army that DID NOT initiate the combat? Or is it something less obvious like, the person not rolling dice right now?

The defender is always the player who didn't initiate the combat. Think of the dice they roll as being them inflicting casualties on the attacking army.

Quote:
Question 3: When I draw a fate card that can be used by a FP character, where is it stored until I play it? Is it counted in my 6-card event and story hand? Are they continuous and left on the table when drawn or played, or kept concealed until activated? Are they typically one-shot or continuous (I have in mind the Eagles are Nasty Creatures - or something like that- where you attack the same army in the mountains with extra dice). Cards like that I couldn't figure out if they were continuous and triggered at will or one-shots.

I believe they are read out and played immediately. If they relate to a character not yet in play, place them on top of the character pile and the card takes effect when they do enter play.

Quote:
P.S. I've played three games now as the FP and had my first win (15 on fate track) last night. Second game I lost on like turn 4. First game we only played two turns while reading rulebook to learn how to play (took 3.5 hours). So far I haven't played a game under 3 hours. Here's to the future!

Yes mine have all gone way over the suggested 90 minutes as well. However it's such good fun the game didn't drag - one in particular was very tense back & forth the entire time.

Enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Itamar Parann
Israel
Ramat Gan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The defender is always the side that did not play the Action Die that led to the attack.
When several armies attack together they have a single target: 3 attacking armies attack a single region, and as a result - they attack only a single army.
Terrain Superiority is only checked once, before the firt attack of the first army. After one of the sides gets an Event Card [if at all], this is never checked again.

Now - battle begins. The attacker places Story Cards aside, takes into his hands available Event Cards and also the regroup card. To this he adds the appropriate Maneuver Cards for the forces in the attacking army.
Round is resolved normally between attacker and defender - all other armies do not intervene and are not effected. If the same army continues the attack, follow normal combat sequence for as many rounds as needed.
If attacker chooses to change the attacking army, he takes back all Maneuver Cards, rearranges his hand so as to hold only Maneuver Cards appropriate for the units in the 2nd army [as well as any Event Cards that were not used by the First Army], and then combat continues.

Repeat as needed.

Place Fate card on the appropriate Character Card. Fate Cards do not, ever-never-forever, count against what you have in your hand. If the character named by the card has not yet entered play - still place the Fate Card with that character's card. The subject material of the Fate Card is revealed when it is drawn, whether it can be played or not.
Some Fate cards are single shot cards [like the one moving the Lord of the Eagles on the Fate Track]; others have longer-term effects.
As to when they are triggered: if we examine 'Eagles are Nasty Creatures' [usually called 'Eagles are not Kindly Birds'] you will see that it clearly states that you need to use a Muster Die to move the eagles and activate the card [so using the card is an action just like any other]. Since nothing states the card is then discarded, it remains with you; Sucks to be Bolg, as it were.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Dresser
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
Paramar wrote:

Now - battle begins. The attacker places Story Cards aside, takes into his hands available Event Cards and also the regroup card. To this he adds the appropriate Maneuver Cards for the forces in the attacking army.
Round is resolved normally between attacker and defender - all other armies do not intervene and are not effected. If the same army continues the attack, follow normal combat sequence for as many rounds as needed.
If attacker chooses to change the attacking army, he takes back all Maneuver Cards, rearranges his hand so as to hold only Maneuver Cards appropriate for the units in the 2nd armies [as well as any Event Cards that were not used by the First Army], and then combat continues.

Repeat as needed.

Okay so I take it having both attacking armies roll and choose maneuver cards along with the defending armies each round is not the valid way to use 'combined attack'. Well, that makes life easier on the free people for the most part. We've been doing it all wrong! modest

Paramar wrote:
Place Fate card on the appropriate Character Card. Fate Cards do not, ever-never-forever, count against what you have in your hand. If the character named by the card has not yet entered play - still place the Fate Card with that character's card. The subject material of the Fate Card is revealed when it is drawn, whether it can be played or not.
Some Fate cards are single shot cards [like the one moving the Lord of the Eagles on the Fate Track]; others have longer-term effects.
As to when they are triggered: if we examine 'Eagles are Nasty Creatures' [usually called 'Eagles are not Kindly Birds'] you will see that it clearly states that you need to use a Muster Die to move the eagles and activate the card [so using the card is an action just like any other]. Since nothing states the card is then discarded, it remains with you; Sucks to be Bolg, as it were.

Okay so if the Fate Card does not specify it is discarded, then I can likely assume it is continuous and effects can be triggered whenever the conditions are met. SWEET.

Are all the fate cards played face up then on their respective character cards (as opposed to face down)?

When I play the shadow, I think I'll keep Bolg mostly alone until he's needed (since he can't take damage alone). Them eagles is scary. Less scary if you stay out of the mountains (Eagles Are Not Kindly Birds).

And David, I think the reason this game takes so long for me is because every single decision and action dice choice matters! I've never played a game so chronically back and forth. Neither side ever seems to get any breathing room on a single turn. Every decision is dire life or death. My first finished game literally had a win/lose final army battle. Bolg's army was about to die, but that army was taking the final city necessary for a shadow victory. It literally came down to a single dice roll. That single shadow army prevailed with one remaining figure standing next to old Bolg-y

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
kdresser wrote:
And David, I think the reason this game takes so long for me is because every single decision and action dice choice matters! I've never played a game so chronically back and forth. Neither side ever seems to get any breathing room on a single turn. Every decision is dire life or death. My first finished game literally had a win/lose final army battle. Bolg's army was about to die, but that army was taking the final city necessary for a shadow victory. It literally came down to a single dice roll. That single shadow army prevailed with one remaining figure standing next to old Bolg-y

I haven't had a game quite that close yet, but that would certainly make for a longer game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Itamar Parann
Israel
Ramat Gan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are all the fate cards played face up then on their respective character cards (as opposed to face down)?

All fate cards are revealed when drawn. This does not take an action.
The text might dictate using an Action Die to trigger some effect.
Those that state: Play on X - are placed on character X.
Those that have a single shot effect are played immediately and do not require an action die [for example - Where are the Eagles, The Eagles are Coming!, Redoubled in Wrath].
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.