Steve Takacs

San Clemente
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On page 2 last paragraph of the Example 2 -- Assault:

"Next up is simultaneous Offensive and Defensive Fire.
column base value of 6, doubled to 12 equals 2:1 against a column"

Why 6? Column Fire base value is 8 (Printed). Am I missing something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Borchers
United States
Keller
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Why 6? Column Fire base value is 8 (Printed). Am I missing something?

Just to be clear for other readers, I did some digging and found the document you're referencing on the labataille.us site. It's the M-L Examples of Play written by David Hughes.

The units on defense in this example are Prussian. The "Printed" fire value for the units in La Bataille varies with nationality as the frontage covered by each nation's column formation also varied. This value is the top number on the back of the counters, which is not shown in the illustration in the example. Prussians generally have a printed fire value of 6, while the French typically have an 8. Always check the counters when in play, because you might get some unexpected values.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Takacs

San Clemente
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Paul ~
Thank you for your response!

In the example the Prussians (6 base) are firing against the French (8 base). 6 doubled to 12 vs 8 = 1.5:1
The die roll fire result is the same, but an example should be done correctly.

I just wanted to make sure that I was doing it correctly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Borchers
United States
Keller
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The fire defense of a unit is not its printed fire value, it is instead determined by the unit's formation, the terrain it occupies, and whether or not it is enfiladed. In this case, the French are in Columnin Open Ground, which has a fire defense of 6. So, in this case, the fire attack odds are 12:6, or 2:1. If the French had been in Line in open ground, they would have a fire defense of 9, and so the odds would have been 12:9, which reduces in the defender's favor to 1:1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Takacs

San Clemente
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Paul ~
Wow! I'm glad I asked the question.

I found the Fire Defense Chart for the game (Moscowa) which indicates the values you provided. This chart is in addition to the MLR charts.

This resolves my question and proves the Example was done correctly.

Thank you for your help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.