Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Given that there is an entry for games that don't belong on the geek (including things like Lawn Darts, Shuffleboard, etc), would it be appropropriate to have a similar 'RPG' entry acknowledging that these are not classified as boardgames?
It seems like several RPGs wind up in here anyway - if others could be tagged down to a single entry with multiple names, it could help avoid new ones getting added and keep a little more consistency.
Plus, it would just give us really compulsive game loggers a way to log all our game playing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Johnson
United States
Boonville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with this suggestion. If shuffleboard has an entry, why not RPGs? I don't want a separate entry for EVERY RPG, but I'd rather have something other than "outside the scope of BGG" to track my RPG playing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
Nah. That's what RPGGeek.com is all about. We don't need to have a placeholder for logging RPG sessions here anymore than we need a placeholder for logging fantasy football playing or scrapbooking or TV watching. Might as well call it "More outside the scope of BGG."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Johnson
United States
Boonville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When it gets down to it, though, RPG gaming boils down to a more complex form of boardgaming (at least in my groups...I'm not so sure about those LARP nerds).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lajos
Japan
Hachiouji
Tokyo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
StormKnight wrote:
would it be appropropriate to have a similar 'RPG' entry

Might be usefull for list purposes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lexingtonian
United States
Unspecified
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think they should trim back games that don't belong, not add new ones. The last thing the site needs is more clutter.

Anyway, lawn darts and shuffleboard are more like board games than RPGs are. Everyone competes according to a static set of rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Mullineaux
United States
Coon Rapids
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this would be a nice addition to the Geek and have suggested it to Aldie and Derk before. I think for two reasons it should be included here. First, the BGG is or has become a great historical database of past games and data on them. Second, it would help bring others to this site and grow the BGG community overall. Aldie has stated there is lots of space available on the servers here, so why not? I think the points are very valid that many games here are not boardgames in a purist sense and often RPGs have components/expansions here as well already. Why not embrace RPGs on the BGG in 2006 or put it up for an election of BGG members. Should have one decent election somewhere in 2006...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Mehrholz
United States
Springdale
Arkansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would love to see BGG start keeping a database on RPGs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Ohst
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Randy Cox wrote:
Nah. That's what RPGGeek.com is all about. We don't need to have a placeholder for logging RPG sessions here anymore than we need a placeholder for logging fantasy football playing or scrapbooking or TV watching. Might as well call it "More outside the scope of BGG."

HEY What Gives? RPGGeek.com brings me right back to boardgamegeek.com. ninja Looks like a sneaky attempt to wrangle a few RPG's over to boardgames. But what if it backfires and they start role playing boardgames!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mb
Without revealing too much - since it builds expectations up. RPGs will be "taken care of"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
OxnardMontalvo wrote:
I think this would be a nice addition to the Geek and have suggested it to Aldie and Derk before. I think for two reasons it should be included here. First, the BGG is or has become a great historical database of past games and data on them. Second, it would help bring others to this site and grow the BGG community overall. Aldie has stated there is lots of space available on the servers here, so why not? I think the points are very valid that many games here are not boardgames in a purist sense and often RPGs have components/expansions here as well already. Why not embrace RPGs on the BGG in 2006 or put it up for an election of BGG members. Should have one decent election somewhere in 2006...

Heavens, no. Boardgames are already a tiny, tiny niche market. Hell, anime geeks dwarf boardgame geeks (in sheer numbers). Comic geeks outnumber us hundreds or thousands to one. And RPGs would be similar. So, "inviting" any of those groups in would turn boardgamegeek.com into animegeek.com or comicgeek.com or rpggeek.com. There is, in fact, a time for exclusion if the core purpose of a site would be lost in the shuffle.

Call me elitist, I guess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Ohst
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldie wrote:
Without revealing too much - since it builds expectations up. RPGs will be "taken care of"

What do you mean by "taken care of"? Do you mean as in the way a mother takes care of her baby or as in the way a mob boss takes care of his rival? On the other hand, does it have anything to do with TANGA?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Mullineaux
United States
Coon Rapids
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think there is nothing wrong with wanting to maintain some purity of the site, but many RPGs have boardgame components. The site also has CCGs and other non-boardgame aspects already, so the utopia is already lost here. If embracing, it is better to have a big grasp and see how many can be brought in for revenue, discussions, and keeping the Geek alive. Pulling more into the boardgame hobby is worth it, by cross contamination!

Aldie is being cryptic here, are we going to see a more purist vision here at the Geek with enclaves for everything else, or mass inclusions or cullings of those that are not to merit??? Will there be Civil War on the Geek??? Will more people recommend this thread??? Film at 11:00pm!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, Aldie has certainly turned up my curiosity meter! Guess I'll just wait and see.

Quote:
Anyway, lawn darts and shuffleboard are more like board games than RPGs are. Everyone competes according to a static set of rules.

I don't really see that. By that criteria, then soccer is closer to a boardgame than an RPG is. RPGs seem incredibly close to boardgames to me; a social activity played indoors, at a table, with rules. I think it would be extremely hard to define a boardgame to exclude RPGs and not exclude several things that are clearly boardgames.

In some cases the lines get pretty blurred. I know people that count Talisman as an RPG (it clearly isn't) and who won't acknowledge Dragon Storm as an RPG (it clearly is). Some people play D&D by rigid, defined rules always using a board - is it then a boardgame? Is Warhammer Quest an RPG when you use the "Roleplaying rules"? Is Space Hulk an RPG since it was one of GW's "3D Roleplay" games?
Inquiring minds want to know!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.