Subject: Custom Hero - Man-Bot (stolen card art) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Wiken

Massachusetts
msg tools
Man-Bot

Official Bio:
Having received a massive dose of Energy X, the strange energy literally flows through Man-Bot's veins, always building in intensity. If the intensity grows too great it causes an explosive energy release. Man-Bot wears a suit of armor that siphons off and expels his excess energy, but he still hopes to find a cure for his condition.

Secret Origin of Man-Bot

DROPBOX LINK TO FULL CARD IMAGES

Man-Bot:
Concept: Has to manage a pool of energy tokens. Large amounts of tokens can make him very strong but unstable. Can transfer energy tokens to other players for temporary buffs.

HP 32
Power: Powered by Energy X; you may either add 2 tokens to your energy pool or remove 1 token and deal 1 target 1 energy damage..

Incap:.
Select a hero, the next damage dealt by that hero is increased by 1.
Select a hero, the next damage taken by that hero is decreased by 1.
A player may draw a card.

Equipment:
Armor Plating: (x3)
Limited, Damage dealt to Man-Bot is reduced by 1.

Power Suit: (x3)
Limited, The first time each turn you add a token to your energy pool, add 1 token to your energy pool.
The first time each turn you remove a token from your energy pool, remove 1 token from your energy pool.
Power: Destroy this card.

Ongoing
Contain Energy (x3)
Limited, When this card enters play, reveal the top card of your deck. If the revealed card is Unstable Energy, put it play. If not, replace it or discard it. When Man-Bot would take energy, fire, lightning, or infernal damage, you may add X tokens to your energy pool. Where X is the damage dealt to Man-Bot.

Focus: (x3)
Power: When this card enters play, reveal the top card of your deck. If the revealed card is Unstable Energy, put it play. If not, replace it or discard it. Man-Bot deals 1 target 2 energy damage. If you have 5 or more tokens in your energy pool, Man-Bot deals 1 target 2 energy damage.

Grim Resolve: (x2)
Limited, Damage dealt by Man-Bot is irreducible.
When this card is destroyed, Man-bot deals himself 2 Psychic damage.
If Unstable Energy is destroyed, destroy this card.

Living Battery: (x3)
Limited, When this card enters play, reveal the top card of your deck. If the revealed card is Unstable Energy, put it play. If not, replace it or discard it. If at the start of your turnyou have 5 or more tokens in your energy pool, Man-Bot may use an additional power during your power phase.

Transfer: (x3)
Power: When this card enters play, reveal the top card of your deck. If the revealed card is Unstable Energy, put it play. If not, replace it or discard it. Remove up to 5 tokens from your energy pool. A hero target may regain X health, where X is the number of tokens removed this way.

Unstable Energy: (x5)
Increase Energy damage dealt by Man-bot by 2.
when Man-Bot would be dealt damage or an Unstable Energy enters play, Man-Bot deals all targets X energy damage, where X is the number of tokens in your energy pool + 1. Remove all tokens from your energy pool
and destroy all copies of Unstable Energy.

One-Shot:
Disruption: (x2)
Destroy an Environment card. If you do, you may remove up to 3 tokens from your energy pool. Man-Bot deals X targets X energy damage, where X is the number of tokens removed. Search your trash for a copy of Unstable Energy and shuffle it into your deck.

Energize Other: (x3)
Remove 3 tokens from your energy pool. Then, one hero other than Man-bot may either draw a card and play a card, Draw a card and use a power, or play a card and use a power. Search your trash for a copy of Unstable Energy and shuffle it into your deck.

Energy Leech: (x4)
Each hero other than Man-bot may either deal itself 1 irreducible Energy damage or discard a card. You add X tokens to your energy pool, where X is the number of players who either discard or take damage this way. Search your trash for a copy of Unstable Energy and shuffle it into your deck.

Release: (x3)
Remove all tokens from your energy pool. man-Bot deals X targets 2 energy damage, where X is the number of tokens removed. If a copy of unstable energy is in play, you may destroy it.

Wallop: (x3)
Man-Bot deals 1 target 4 melee damage.

DROPBOX LINK TO FULL CARD IMAGES

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hudson Genteboa
msg tools
mbmbmb
Man-bot! Thanks for posting this!

There's a typo in Focus: ...if you at least 5 tokens... should be "if you have at least 5 tokens"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hudson Genteboa
msg tools
mbmbmb
Hey! I had a couple solo games using Man-Bot, and I would suggest a few changes to his cards.

I like the energy absorption/manipulation mechanics (which can be lots of fun for the player), but I think his deck needs to be tweaked a bit in order to be more cohesive as a whole.

One problem is that with Man-bot's original innate power + Power Suit he easily gets 6 energy tokens per turn (and not drawing is not necessarily bad for him - especially if he already has one copy of the deadly Unstable Energy in play). In both games I played, Man-bot ended up with a big token surplus that I felt like there wasn't much I could do with, despite the cards make you remove tokens... also, the large number of tokens was quite frustrating in one of the games, when a second copy Unstable Energy came into play and got all heroes killed,

Anyways, I think this is a deck that can become really cool. The risk that Man-bot represents to any group is very interesting! So here are some suggestions based on the little gameplay I had with him:

MAN-BOT

I would change his innate power a bit - it would be cool if he could do something in his power phase each turn other than gathering tokens (also, gathering less tokens, would make Contain Energy more useful when it comes into play):

Charge. Power: You may either put 2 tokens in your energy pool, or remove 1 and deal 1 target 1 energy damage.

Equipment
Limited, The first time each turn you add a token from your energy pool, add 1 token to your energy pool.
The first time each turn you remove a token from your energy pool, remove 1 token from your energy pool.

I am a little confused about how this card interacts with other cards in the deck. For example, when you play Transfer, you Remove up to 3 tokens from your energy pool. A hero target may regain X health, where X is the number of tokens removed. So... with power suit in play, in the case you remove 3 tokens, plus 1 because of Power Suit, the target still only regains 3 hp? This is how I see it, although maybe Power Suits intention is to increase your powers whether you are adding or removing tokens...

Also, I just noticed a typo in the first sentence, but it's so small I hadn't seen it when playing:

Limited, The first time each turn you add a token to your energy pool, add 1 token to your energy pool.

Ongoing
When this card is drawn, immediately put it into play. When Man-Bot would be dealt damage or another Unstable Energy enters play, Man-Bot deals all targets X energy damage where X is equal to the number of tokens in your energy pool. Remove all tokens from your energy pool. Destroy this card.

Unstable Energy is a very cool concept and definitely a card that Man-bot has to have in his deck - this "curse" is essential to get the feel of the character. However, the way it is now, it is more frustrating than it should be. I don't like this bit in particular: "When this card is drawn, immediately put it into play."
I agree that there has to be a sense of danger. Man-bot is dangerous to have around. But I think this card would work better if instead of being played forcefully, it offered the player incentives to play it, while adding the risk element. Also, since there are 5 copies of it, it would be cool if you could use different numbers of unstable energy in play to manage its risks, sort of. The way it is now, you never really get to see more than 2 copies of the card in play, and if it happens when the players have already sustained some damage, it's pretty much game over.

Here is what I came up with:

Increase energy damage dealt by Man-bot by 1.
If another copy of Unstable Energy is destroyed, destroy this card.
When this card is destroyed, Man-Bot deals all targets X energy damage where X is equal to the number of tokens in your energy pool. Then, remove all but 1 token from your energy pool.

This way, each additional copy of unstable energy that you play makes you more powerful, but also increase damage - notice that, since destroying one copy of the card destroys them all, even villains with limited hero ongoing destruction have a very good chance to destroy at least one Unstable Energy, thus triggering Man-bot's complete meltdown.

Contain Energy (x3)
Limited, When Man-Bot would take energy, fire, lightning, or infernal damage, you may add X tokens to your energy pool. Where X is the damage dealt to Man-Bot, maximum 3.

I think the "maximum 3" part is unnecessary - even if Man-bot takes a lot of containable damage, the added tokens don't make him OP; also, the card is limited anyways, which prevents its effects from stacking.
Contain Energy (x3)
Limited, When Man-Bot would take energy, fire, lightning, or infernal damage, you may add X tokens to your energy pool. Where X is the damage dealt to Man-Bot.

Limited, Damage dealt by Man-Bot is irreducible. If a copy of Unstable Energy is destroyed, destroy this card.

If you make the change to have Unstable Energy increase Man-bot's damage, this card would become quite powerful, which can be OK. It could have a risk-reward mechanism as well, linked to Unstable Energy:

If a copy of Unstable Energy is destroyed, destroy this card.

Power: Remove up to 3 tokens from your energy pool. A hero target may regain X health, where X is the number of tokens removed.

If you do end up changing his innate power, his token generation slows down, and the price of using tokens with cards such as Transfer becomes steeper... Which is cool.I even think you could allow the player to transfer more tokens:

Power: Remove up to 5 tokens from your energy pool. A hero target may regain X health, where X is the number of tokens removed this way.

One-Shot:
Destroy an Environment card. If you do, you may remove up to 3 tokens from your energy pool. Man-Bot deals X targets X energy damage, where X is the number of tokens removed.

Wow, what a powerful card!
It is fine by itself, but if you do change Unstable Energy to increase Man-bot's damage, I think it would be more balanced like this:

Destroy an Environment card. If you do, you may remove up to 3 tokens from your energy pool. Man-Bot deals X targets 2 energy damage, where X is the number of tokens removed.

Remove 3 tokens from your energy pool. Select a hero, that hero may choose two: Draw a card, play a card, use a power.

The text is not very clear in this one. I changed the text a bit:

Remove 3 tokens from your energy pool. Then, one hero other than Man-bot may either draw a card and play a card or play a card and use a power.

Other heroes may take 1 irreducible damage, discard a card, or destroy a card. You add X tokens to your energy pool. Where X is the number of players who do this. (look at wording in Chrono Ranger’s deck)

I also changed the text of this one, trying to make the intent more clear:

Each hero other than Man-bot may either deal itself 1 irreducible Energy damage or discard a card. You add X tokens to your energy pool, where X is the number of players who either discard or take damage this way.

Remove half of the tokens in your energy pool (rounded down). Deal X targets 3 energy damage, where X is the number of tokens removed.

If you do change Man-bot's innate power for slower token generation, I think this card would work better like this:

Remove all tokens from your energy pool. Deal X targets 2 energy damage, where X is the number of tokens removed.

I really love this card, for some reason. The simplicity of its text really fits the intended effect. I had a laugh when I used this to punch Baron Blade in the face... sometimes, that is exactly what you want to do.

If the changes to Unstable Energy are implemented, I feel that this card is left out a bit (because the version of Unstable Energy I suggested only increases Energy Damage). A possible solution would be adding something like this to Wallop: "If there is a copy of Unstable Energy in play, you may change this damage type to Energy." But I don't know if it is worth sacrificing the card's simplicity just for this.

I hope this feedback is useful! For freedom!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Wiken

Massachusetts
msg tools
Wow, thanks for all the comments I'm glad you enjoyed him. I like most of your comments and have already updated the Dropbox cards accordingly.

fdinamite wrote:
One problem is that with Man-bot's original innate power + Power Suit he easily gets 6 energy tokens per turn (and not drawing is not necessarily bad for him - especially if he already has one copy of the deadly Unstable Energy in play). In both games I played, Man-bot ended up with a big token surplus that I felt like there wasn't much I could do with, despite the cards make you remove tokens... also, the large number of tokens was quite frustrating in one of the games, when a second copy Unstable Energy came into play and got all heroes killed,

I was rather worried about this. It seems like Unstable Energy worked like I want it to but you had way too many tokens.

fdinamite wrote:
I would change his innate power a bit - it would be cool if he could do something in his power phase each turn other than gathering tokens (also, gathering less tokens, would make Contain Energy more useful when it comes into play):

Charge. Power: You may either put 2 tokens in your energy pool, or remove 1 and deal 1 target 1 energy damage.

I rather like this, it fixes the energy surplus and provides another release valve for extra energy tokens. It may have swung a bit too far since you have effectively cut energy generation in half. More testing will show this I suppose. I have updated the post and Dropbox with the new base power.

fdinamite wrote:
Limited, The first time each turn you add a token from your energy pool, add 1 token to your energy pool.
Power: Destroy this card.[/i]

I am a little confused about how this card interacts with other cards in the deck. For example, when you play Transfer, you Remove up to 3 tokens from your energy pool. A hero target may regain X health, where X is the number of tokens removed. So... with power suit in play, in the case you remove 3 tokens, plus 1 because of Power Suit, the target still only regains 3 hp? This is how I see it, although maybe Power Suits intention is to increase your powers whether you are adding or removing tokens...

Also, I just noticed a typo in the first sentence, but it's so small I hadn't seen it when playing:

Typo fixed. It is supposed to increase the power of certain powers. So in this case transfer would heal for 4. Maybe I should change the wording to:

Limited, The first time each turn you add a token to your energy pool, add an additional token to your energy pool.
The first time each turn you remove a token from your energy pool, remove an additional token from your energy pool.

fdinamite wrote:

When this card is drawn, immediately put it into play. When Man-Bot would be dealt damage or another Unstable Energy enters play, Man-Bot deals all targets X energy damage where X is equal to the number of tokens in your energy pool. Remove all tokens from your energy pool. Destroy this card.

Unstable Energy is a very cool concept and definitely a card that Man-bot has to have in his deck - this "curse" is essential to get the feel of the character. However, the way it is now, it is more frustrating than it should be. I don't like this bit in particular: "When this card is drawn, immediately put it into play."
I agree that there has to be a sense of danger. Man-bot is dangerous to have around. But I think this card would work better if instead of being played forcefully, it offered the player incentives to play it, while adding the risk element. Also, since there are 5 copies of it, it would be cool if you could use different numbers of unstable energy in play to manage its risks, sort of. The way it is now, you never really get to see more than 2 copies of the card in play, and if it happens when the players have already sustained some damage, it's pretty much game over.

Here is what I came up with:

If another copy of Unstable Energy is destroyed, destroy this card.
When this card is destroyed, Man-Bot deals all targets X energy damage where X is equal to the number of tokens in your energy pool. Then, remove all but 1 token from your energy pool.

This way, each additional copy of unstable energy that you play makes you more powerful, but also increase damage - notice that, since destroying one copy of the card destroys them all, even villains with limited hero ongoing destruction have a very good chance to destroy at least one Unstable Energy, thus triggering Man-bot's complete meltdown.

So this is the card that makes or breaks the deck. I feel like players should have no control over when Unstable Energy shows up, but I am willing to try incentivizing it instead.

There are ways to mitigate its effects (new base power and new Release especially), but I feel like removing the forced play makes it too easy to dance around its effects. Additionally, Grim Resolve will never be destroyed because of Unstable Energy being destroyed. It also needs Man-Bot taking damage to set it off to match how it worked in the video game.

How about this new version:

When another copy of Unstable Energy is destroyed or Man-Bot would be dealt more than 5-X damage destroy this card, where X is the number of copies of Unstable Energy in play.

I need to cut down the words a bit to make it fit.

fdinamite wrote:

Contain Energy (x3)
Limited, When Man-Bot would take energy, fire, lightning, or infernal damage, you may add X tokens to your energy pool. Where X is the damage dealt to Man-Bot, maximum 3.

I think the "maximum 3" part is unnecessary - even if Man-bot takes a lot of containable damage, the added tokens don't make him OP; also, the card is limited anyways, which prevents its effects from stacking.
Contain Energy (x3)
Limited, When Man-Bot would take energy, fire, lightning, or infernal damage, you may add X tokens to your energy pool. Where X is the damage dealt to Man-Bot.

Limited, Damage dealt by Man-Bot is irreducible. If a copy of Unstable Energy is destroyed, destroy this card.

If you make the change to have Unstable Energy increase Man-bot's damage, this card would become quite powerful, which can be OK. It could have a risk-reward mechanism as well, linked to Unstable Energy:

If a copy of Unstable Energy is destroyed, destroy this card.

Power: Remove up to 3 tokens from your energy pool. A hero target may regain X health, where X is the number of tokens removed.

If you do end up changing his innate power, his token generation slows down, and the price of using tokens with cards such as Transfer becomes steeper... Which is cool.I even think you could allow the player to transfer more tokens:

Power: Remove up to 5 tokens from your energy pool. A hero target may regain X health, where X is the number of tokens removed this way.

Agreed, and changed.

fdinamite wrote:

One-Shot:
Destroy an Environment card. If you do, you may remove up to 3 tokens from your energy pool. Man-Bot deals X targets X energy damage, where X is the number of tokens removed.

Wow, what a powerful card!
It is fine by itself, but if you do change Unstable Energy to increase Man-bot's damage, I think it would be more balanced like this:

Destroy an Environment card. If you do, you may remove up to 3 tokens from your energy pool. Man-Bot deals X targets 2 energy damage, where X is the number of tokens removed.

I'm worried that this makes this card too similar to Release.

fdinamite wrote:

Remove 3 tokens from your energy pool. Select a hero, that hero may choose two: Draw a card, play a card, use a power.

The text is not very clear in this one. I changed the text a bit:

Remove 3 tokens from your energy pool. Then, one hero other than Man-bot may either draw a card and play a card or play a card and use a power.

Other heroes may take 1 irreducible damage, discard a card, or destroy a card. You add X tokens to your energy pool. Where X is the number of players who do this. (look at wording in Chrono Ranger’s deck)

I also changed the text of this one, trying to make the intent more clear:

Each hero other than Man-bot may either deal itself 1 irreducible Energy damage or discard a card. You add X tokens to your energy pool, where X is the number of players who either discard or take damage this way.

Remove half of the tokens in your energy pool (rounded down). Deal X targets 3 energy damage, where X is the number of tokens removed.

If you do change Man-bot's innate power for slower token generation, I think this card would work better like this:

Remove all tokens from your energy pool. Deal X targets 2 energy damage, where X is the number of tokens removed.

Agreed, and changed.

fdinamite wrote:

I really love this card, for some reason. The simplicity of its text really fits the intended effect. I had a laugh when I used this to punch Baron Blade in the face... sometimes, that is exactly what you want to do.

If the changes to Unstable Energy are implemented, I feel that this card is left out a bit (because the version of Unstable Energy I suggested only increases Energy Damage). A possible solution would be adding something like this to Wallop: "If there is a copy of Unstable Energy in play, you may change this damage type to Energy." But I don't know if it is worth sacrificing the card's simplicity just for this.

I prefer the simplicity of the original card.

fdinamite wrote:

I hope this feedback is useful! For freedom!

It is very useful. Thanks so much. I hope you keep wanting to play him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hudson Genteboa
msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm glad the comments were of use!
I haven't tried Liberty Lad yet, but The Ant is excellent. And Man-Bot's concept is very cool!

DarthUrsus wrote:

I rather like this, it fixes the energy surplus and provides another release valve for extra energy tokens. It may have swung a bit too far since you have effectively cut energy generation in half. More testing will show this I suppose. I have updated the post and Dropbox with the new base power.

I agree! Maybe the amount of tokens should be higher than 2... But, as you said, more testing is the only way to know.

DarthUrsus wrote:

Typo fixed. It is supposed to increase the power of certain powers. So in this case transfer would heal for 4. Maybe I should change the wording to:
Limited, The first time each turn you add a token to your energy pool, add an additional token to your energy pool.
The first time each turn you remove a token from your energy pool, remove an additional token from your energy pool.

Cool!

DarthUrsus wrote:

So this is the card that makes or breaks the deck. I feel like players should have no control over when Unstable Energy shows up, but I am willing to try incentivizing it instead.

There are ways to mitigate its effects (new base power and new Release especially), but I feel like removing the forced play makes it too easy to dance around its effects. Additionally, Grim Resolve will never be destroyed because of Unstable Energy being destroyed. It also needs Man-Bot taking damage to set it off to match how it worked in the video game.

How about this new version:

When another copy of Unstable Energy is destroyed or Man-Bot would be dealt more than 5-X damage destroy this card, where X is the number of copies of Unstable Energy in play.

I need to cut down the words a bit to make it fit.

Yeah, I think this card is the heart of the deck! Good points - taking damage should totally trigger it. I'll be thinking about ways to make it less wordy when I play him next!

DarthUrsus wrote:

I'm worried that this makes this card too similar to Release.

True.

DarthUrsus wrote:

I prefer the simplicity of the original card.

Yeah, I do too, actually.

DarthUrsus wrote:
I hope you keep wanting to play him.

Definitely! Man-bot is awesome! Thank you for putting the set together!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff B.
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
I'm trying to think of alternate ways to make Unstable energy work, as the sheer damage output from the current one will break a lot of games.

One way I could think to make it work would be to have Nightmist style numbers on his cards, and then at the start of his turn he deals one hero target and one non-hero target the # on the card on top of his deck.

Then have it increase damage if he has a lot of energy tokens.
Something like:

When this card is drawn put in into play.
Increase Energy damage dealt by Manbot by 1 for every 5 tokens in his energy pool.
Whenever Manbot plays a card he deals himself and 1 other target that cards # energy damage.
When this card enters the trash Manbot deals Each target 2 Energy damage.

Then make it limited. That way a second Unstable Energy will go directly to the trash, and cause Manbot to deal 2+1/5 of tokens to all targets.

The damage to himself will also increase his pool, which works well.

I didn't get far in Freedom force and never got into Man-Bot, so I don't know if it fits him well.

A lot of his other cards could use the numbering as well, giving him more of a feeling of being unstable.

If the numbers on cards don't work you could change the damage to a flat 1 energy when he plays a card, and change the increase to every 3 tokens, that would cause it to scale sharper.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hudson Genteboa
msg tools
mbmbmb
I just played a game and it is true - the damage output got crazy OP.

I was thinking that one way to "force" players to play a potentially dangerous Unstable Energy in play would be to add this text to most or all of his energy manipulation cards:

This card cannot be plead unless there is at least 1 copy of Unstable Energy in play.

But I really like Phantaskippy's idea of adding number values to the bottom of each card!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Hallstrom
United States
Jackson
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that Unstable Energy is the best/most important card in the deck. I'm not sure that I like the idea of the random-ish numbers on the cards to power the effect.

Right now we have a deck that does something no other deck does - has a desirable yet super dangerous card. The unlucky here (name eludes me at the moment) had a token pool as well but that felt more like a teeter-totter to me - swinging up and down to power abilities. This has more tension to me. That is awesome. I like that is can cause a wipe and you then need to be super careful with how much energy he builds up.

I like Phantaskippy's idea that it has 'when enters trash' mechanic. What is lacking here is the reset that occurs when Unstable Energy fires.

How about:

When this card is drawn put it into play
Increase Energy damage dealt by ManBot by 1 +1 for every 5 tokens in his energy pool
Whenever Manbot plays a card he deals himself and 1 other target 0 energy damage
When this card enters the trash Manbot deals each target 1 Energy damage.
Destroy all Unstable Energy cards in play.

This way the card does some good (and has a cost but manageable one) with only one in play. He gets +1 damage if he has kept his pool low but can push his luck and escalate it.

He also takes one damage and delivers one damage with card play - but this can be managed by something that allows him to take one less damage (again still while pool low)

This also has the oops---->boom that the original character seemed to have. But with less damage. If a boom occurs you will be destroying at least 2 cards - the first one enters the trash, which then fires off the one that is in play. Therefore with a low pool he does 1+1 and 1+1 damage to everyone. With 6 in his pool he does 1+2 and 1+2 to everyone. This seems much more manageable though still scaling up if energy pool allowed to go crazy and I can see situations when you might want this to happen (Citizen Dawn with lots of Citizens out?). You could even have the boom damage read:

When this card enters the trash ManBot deals each target 0 energy damage.

This would scale much less: with 0-4 energy = 0+1 energy damage x2 ---> 2 damage, 5-9 energy = 0+2 energy damage x2 --> 4 damage, 10-14 energy = 0+3 energy damage x2 --> 6 damage. The lower scaling might make it more desirable and worth the risk to have more energy in your pool so there isn't an immediate mad scramble to lower the pool every time the first one comes out.

With these you could also change the tension with the power pool however you like by changing how many power gets you another +1 (every 3 power, every 4 power, ...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What about, rather than directly incentivising Unstable Energy, you make it more of a side effect? It would require some restructuring, but you could have some cards use a Nightmist-esque reveal dynamic, except that you'd be looking out for the Unstable keyword instead of a number.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hudson Genteboa
msg tools
mbmbmb
Challst wrote:
Right now we have a deck that does something no other deck does - has a desirable yet super dangerous card.

Yeah, it feels unique and very cool.

Jlerpy wrote:
What about, rather than directly incentivising Unstable Energy, you make it more of a side effect? It would require some restructuring, but you could have some cards use a Nightmist-esque reveal dynamic, except that you'd be looking out for the Unstable keyword instead of a number.

After considering all options and ideas, I think this one is the most elegant, as it allows you to get all desired effects and still keep Unstable Energy somewhat concise.

I tried my hand at restructuring the deck with that in mind.

Changes are in green:

Equipment:

Ongoing:
Contain Energy (x3)
Limited, When this card enters play, reveal the top card of your deck. If the revealed card is Unstable Energy, put it play. If not, replace it or discard it.
When Man-Bot would take energy, fire, lightning, or infernal damage, you may add X tokens to your energy pool. Where X is the damage dealt to Man-Bot.

When this card enters play, reveal the top card of your deck. If the revealed card is Unstable Energy, put it play. If not, replace it or discard it.
Power: Man-Bot deals 1 target 2 energy damage. If you have 5 or more tokens in your energy pool, Man-Bot deals 1 target 2 energy damage.

Limited, When this card enters play, reveal the top card of your deck. If the revealed card is Unstable Energy, put it play. If not, replace it or discard it.
At the beginning of your turn if you have 5 or more tokens in your energy pool, Man-Bot may use an additional power.

When this card enters play, reveal the top card of your deck. If the revealed card is Unstable Energy, put it play. If not, replace it or discard it.
Power: Remove up to 5 tokens from your energy pool. A hero target regains X health, where X is the number of tokens removed this way.

If Man-Bot takes damage or if another copy of Unstable Energy enters play, Man-Bot immediately deals all targets X energy damage, where X is equal to the number of tokens in your energy pool plus 1. Then, remove all tokens from your energy pool and destroy all copies of Unstable Energy.

This is actually very similar to Unstable Energy's first version. By offering a benefit to the player, it means that if it shows up in a player's initial hand, it could still possibly be played. But it can also come into play randomly, as originally envisioned - only now this is a side effect of playing Man-bot's other cards.

This mechanism has another advantage over most ideas we've had so far: the text "if drawn, put in play" requires the player who draws the card to be honest - he could simply leave it in his hand and pretend nothing happened, the other players would never know.
Of course we all prefer to play games with honest friends, but some groups do have that one player who... you know, the guy who wants to win at all costs (a terrible person to be around during the zombie apocalypse by the way). My brother has a friend who plays Sentinels with us sometimes and who is just like that.
Revealing the card in front of everybody means that, if Unstable Energy shows up, you have to put it in play. And prepare for the explosion. Man-bot is amazing!

Oh, and the "increase damage by 2" is not a mistake: now, you can only have 1 copy of this card in play, so the damage output is not insane before the explosion is triggered.. and the plus 2 makes the explosion itself a lot more menacing.

One-Shot:
Search your trash for a copy of Unstable Energy and put it in play.

Remove 3 tokens from your energy pool. Then, one hero other than Man-bot may either draw a card and play a card, Draw a card and use a power, or play a card and use a power.

One unexpected side-effect of these changes is that, with added text on many cards, Wallop's straight to the point effect feels even more refreshing,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Wiken

Massachusetts
msg tools
fdinamite wrote:
Challst wrote:
Right now we have a deck that does something no other deck does - has a desirable yet super dangerous card.

Yeah, it feels unique and very cool.

Jlerpy wrote:

After considering all options and ideas, I think this one is the most elegant, as it allows you to get all desired effects and still keep Unstable Energy somewhat concise.

I tried my hand at restructuring the deck with that in mind.

Changes are in green:

Equipment:

Ongoing:
Contain Energy (x3)
When Man-Bot would take energy, fire, lightning, or infernal damage, you may add X tokens to your energy pool. Where X is the damage dealt to Man-Bot.

Power: Man-Bot deals 1 target 2 energy damage. If you have 5 or more tokens in your energy pool, Man-Bot deals 1 target 2 energy damage.

At the beginning of your turn if you have 5 or more tokens in your energy pool, Man-Bot may use an additional power.

Power: Remove up to 5 tokens from your energy pool. A hero target regains X health, where X is the number of tokens removed this way.

If Man-Bot takes damage or if another copy of Unstable Energy enters play, Man-Bot immediately deals all targets X energy damage, where X is equal to the number of tokens in your energy pool plus 1. Then, remove all tokens from your energy pool and destroy all copies of Unstable Energy.

This is actually very similar to Unstable Energy's first version. By offering a benefit to the player, it means that if it shows up in a player's initial hand, it could still possibly be played. But it can also come into play randomly, as originally envisioned - only now this is a side effect of playing Man-bot's other cards.

This mechanism has another advantage over most ideas we've had so far: the text "if drawn, put in play" requires the player who draws the card to be honest - he could simply leave it in his hand and pretend nothing happened, the other players would never know.
Of course we all prefer to play games with honest friends, but some groups do have that one player who... you know, the guy who wants to win at all costs (a terrible person to be around during the zombie apocalypse by the way). My brother has a friend who plays Sentinels with us sometimes and who is just like that.
Revealing the card in front of everybody means that, if Unstable Energy shows up, you have to put it in play. And prepare for the explosion. Man-bot is amazing!

Oh, and the "increase damage by 2" is not a mistake: now, you can only have 1 copy of this card in play, so the damage output is not insane before the explosion is triggered.. and the plus 2 makes the explosion itself a lot more menacing.

One-Shot:

Remove 3 tokens from your energy pool. Then, one hero other than Man-bot may either draw a card and play a card, Draw a card and use a power, or play a card and use a power.

One unexpected side-effect of these changes is that, with added text on many cards, Wallop's straight to the point effect feels even more refreshing,

This is beautiful. The one change I would modify is the one added to all the one-shots. I would either remove it or change it to "Search your trash for a copy of Unstable Energy and shuffle it into your deck." The current change makes most of the cards largely unusable for most of the game and entirely defeats the purpose of release which is to prevent unstable energy from being too strong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes.That looks cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennison Milenkaya
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jlerpy's suggestion is about what I was thinking as I was reading through this thread. But I was thinking something more like:

His cards that do stuff based on energy tokens should reveal from the top of his deck a number of cards based on his energy pool. For each (lets just say) Unstable (keyword) card revealed, improve the effect. Every revealed card named Unstable Energy is put into play.

Randomness, Nightmist style. You know what he's going to do, but the degree to which is determined by reveals.

Risk achieved, in that Unstable Energy is put into play rather randomly, with a greater chance of it showing up when revealing more cards (meaning a higher energy pool).

Unstable Energy then needs no incentive to be played and doesn't need to modify the damage dealt. It just has some penalty attached to it, to give the danger aspect you desire. It works kind of like how Nightmist hurts herself more to use a stronger card effect, but remains totally unique to this deck's operation. It also doesn't need a "play when drawn" rider, since it is played during reveals, as per the rule on the effect that revealed it.

Or ignore me as unstable. I'm okay with that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hudson Genteboa
msg tools
mbmbmb
DarthUrsus wrote:
This is beautiful. The one change I would modify is the one added to all the one-shots. I would either remove it or change it to "Search your trash for a copy of Unstable Energy and shuffle it into your deck." The current change makes most of the cards largely unusable for most of the game and entirely defeats the purpose of release which is to prevent unstable energy from being too strong.

heheh Thanks! I hadn't really tested it, but yes, the one-shots have to change. I really like this:

"Search your trash for a copy of Unstable Energy and shuffle it into your deck."

We have to test it to see how it will work in practice, but I imagine it is going to make Man-bot more and more dangerous as he depletes his deck and keeps shuffling all those Unstable Energies back in it.

This is exciting, having the tension slowly increase... also, it allows players to try to prepare for the inevitable, as the explosion becomes more and more likely.

Jlerpy wrote:
Yes.That looks cool.

Thank you for suggesting the side-effect mechanism, it was such a good idea!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Wiken

Massachusetts
msg tools
FlatOnHisFace wrote:
Jlerpy's suggestion is about what I was thinking as I was reading through this thread. But I was thinking something more like:

His cards that do stuff based on energy tokens should reveal from the top of his deck a number of cards based on his energy pool. For each (lets just say) Unstable (keyword) card revealed, improve the effect. Every revealed card named Unstable Energy is put into play.

Randomness, Nightmist style. You know what he's going to do, but the degree to which is determined by reveals.

Risk achieved, in that Unstable Energy is put into play rather randomly, with a greater chance of it showing up when revealing more cards (meaning a higher energy pool).

Unstable Energy then needs no incentive to be played and doesn't need to modify the damage dealt. It just has some penalty attached to it, to give the danger aspect you desire. It works kind of like how Nightmist hurts herself more to use a stronger card effect, but remains totally unique to this deck's operation. It also doesn't need a "play when drawn" rider, since it is played during reveals, as per the rule on the effect that revealed it.

Or ignore me as unstable. I'm okay with that.

This actually sounds similar to what I am planning for El Diablo. Between this suggestion and the Liberty Lad suggestion, it seems like we have a few of the same ideas.

I have updated the main post and Dropbox with the new version of Unstable Energy and its accompanying cards as suggested by fdinamite.

All One-Shots except Release and Wallop have the following text: "Search your trash for a copy of Unstable Energy and shuffle it into your deck. "

new version of Release:
"Remove all tokens in your energy pool. Deal X targets 3 energy damage, where X is the number of tokens removed.
If a copy of Unstable Energy is in play, you may destroy it."

With the new text for Release I am considering changing the card distribution to 2 copies of Release and 3 copies of Disruption.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hudson Genteboa
msg tools
mbmbmb
I know the deck still need testing, but I have started drawing a possible Man-bot promo--

MAN-BOT: the burden of power

(this is just a sketch, of course!)

Energy Surge
Power: Man-bot regains 2 hp. Until your next play phase, treat your hp as your energy pool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Wiken

Massachusetts
msg tools
fdinamite wrote:
I know the deck still need testing, but I have started drawing a possible Man-bot promo--

MAN-BOT: the burden of power

(this is just a sketch, of course!)

Energy Surge
Power: Man-bot regains 2 hp. Until your next play phase, treat your hp as your energy pool.

That is awesome. The base power is really cool too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hudson Genteboa
msg tools
mbmbmb
Thank you. I don't know when it will be ready (not before next week), but it is coming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff B.
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
I like the reveal being different amounts of cards based on your energy pool, but that text is going to need to be a boilerplate on every card that uses it, so you would want it to be a 1 for 1 with the energy pool, otherwise you are getting into a really long boilerplate.

Example:

Reveal as many cards from the top of your deck as there are tokens in your energy pool.
(effect text)
Discard the revealed cards.

That boilerplate is 114 characters, which leaves a good amount of space and doesn't consume your X variable if you need it.

With that kind of effect you are going to want to tone down the energy pool increases so he gets going slower. Getting above 5-6 energy would be a lot of card movement every turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Denton
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just read through the thread and I think this guy looks awesome and that these ideas are great and flavorful. For the Unstable Energy cards what if you combine the ideas and make some of his ongoing cards have a rule that says if he takes a certain amount and/or type of damage then you search for and add an Unstable Energy into play?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Wiken

Massachusetts
msg tools
Common_Hero wrote:
Just read through the thread and I think this guy looks awesome and that these ideas are great and flavorful. For the Unstable Energy cards what if you combine the ideas and make some of his ongoing cards have a rule that says if he takes a certain amount and/or type of damage then you search for and add an Unstable Energy into play?

Unfortunately a lot of the cards have hit the upper limit of text I can fit on them. I also haven't had a chance to test him since his most recent changes and have not heard any testing feedback yet either. I am going to wait to make any more changes until then. You do have an interesting idea and keep it in mind if I feel he needs more tweaking.

Thanks for the feedback .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Wiken

Massachusetts
msg tools
I've made several formatting fixes in the Dropbox. I've also updated the main post with full sheet images and the official bio for Man-Bot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff B.
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
Unstable Energy will deal each target X+1 damage, but it will also increase that damage by 2.

So it is currently dealing each target 3 plus the number of tokens you have.

With 5 energy tokens in play he is a wicked good damage dealer, but he also is liable to do a lot of damage to everyone.

I think the damage to everyone might not offset his power though, he is really going to tear up.

Is there an easy way to print out cards from the image files? I'd like to print and test him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Wiken

Massachusetts
msg tools
Phantaskippy wrote:

Is there an easy way to print out cards from the image files? I'd like to print and test him.

I just added full card sheets this weekend. There is a pdf in each of the heroes' respective dropbox links. Just print it at 100% scale and it should work out.

thanks for playtestins.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Cermak
msg tools
mbmbmb
I really, really love this deck. Man-Bot was my favorite Freedom Force character and you've represented him brilliantly.

A few small issues:

On the Incapacitated side of the character card, the first power has a comma after "Select a target" where it should have a period.

On Living Battery, for clarity I think the last sentence should read: "If at the start of your turn if you have 5 or more tokens in your energy pool, Man-Bot may use an additional power during your power phase.

On Unstable Energy, the issue number of the quote is illegible.

On Energize Other, the quote is missing a period.

On Release, the second sentence should read "Man-Bot deals X targets 3 energy damage..."

Great job!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.