Subject: RiF OP 3 Fleet Critique Needed rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John-Luck Pickard
United States
flag msg tools
I.S.S. Defiant [I.S.S. Defiant] (24)
Kira Nerys [Regent's Flagship] (2)
We Won't Go Back! [Assimilation Target Prime] (5)
Tasha Yar [Prakesh Expansion] (2)
Aft Phaser Emitter [I.S.S. Defiant] (1)
Total (34)

U.S.S. Enterprise-E [U.S.S. Enterprise-E Expansion] (32)
Flagship: Independent (Dominion) [DomWarPP4] (10)
Rudolph Ransom [Equinox] (2)
Picard Maneuver [U.S.S. Stargazer Competitive Prize] (5)
Pavel Chekov [Reliant] (3)
Tom Paris [Voyager] (4)
Total (56)

Fleet total: 90

Generated by Space Dock for iOS
http://spacedockapp.org

Thought is to line up Enterprise E to far side of starting area, pointed at the Transwarp Conduit. The Defiant just for fighting on the safe side of board. Enterprise goes 5 straight on turn one, ending up just short of Borg Territory. Next turn, go 5 straight again, repeating with the Picard maneuver, removing the aux token that would go on without Chekov and performing evade. This gives the E 5 agility dice against the Borg for their last turn on the board. One natural, one FS, one Paris and two from Ransom with one token to guarantee one dodge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H. Tucker Cobey
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
...And then you lose the game because you have no ships left on the map.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John-Luck Pickard
United States
flag msg tools
Defiant and Blind Ship are still there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Bryer
msg tools
Yes but then you have 64 points vs their 120 points, and all they have to do is have 1 ship alive and kill your Blind and ISS Defiant and they win regardless of how to E does inside the tube. It's not a good idea to even enter borg space your better off just fighting on a 1/2 board and trying to win the 120 vs 120 fight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is a very poorly laid out scenario. The Conduit is a death sentence that is better off avoided. The rest of your fleet with get torn to shreds being both outnumbered and out gunned if you try to go that route.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Holsclaw
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This past weekend, our nearest venue changed up the rules for RiF3 to make it worthwhile to go for the Aperture. An extra Battle Point was even awarded to the player who destroyed it.

I managed to get my Voyager through and destroy it on the very first turn, which was kinda fun.

But, as written, I wouldn't advise going for the "goal" in this scenario. Thanks to a couple of sentences, they really ruined the whole theme of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Bowling
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Is your venue not using the suggested tournament format?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Dulsky
United States
Bryn Mawr
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tsuyoshikentsu wrote:
...And then you lose the game because you have no ships left on the map.

I LoLed!

Yes unfortunately going for the objective is just an unwise move! In order to really help you we will need to know your stores localized format. What kind of purity they are running and if they are using the suggested format or not.

As a side note... at my FLGS we do a redshirt raffle for who wins the extra prize ship, usually you get extra tickets for playing the OP "correctly" which makes me think he will give raffle tickets for flying into the transwarp and/or killing it?!

Something I always consider while building my lists!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Johnsen
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
OK, aside from the fact that going for the aperture is a bad idea, just a few things:

1. I think you meant the Independent Fed Flagship for the free evade, not the Independent Dominion Flagship which gives a free target lock.

2. According to the scenario instructions, you get -2 Defense Dice while in Borg space, and the "Borg vessels" there are not affected by Actions or text abilities. Therefore, the Picard Maneuver doesn't take away any of their attack dice.

3. Because you get +1 Hull from the Flagship, you are now at 6 Hull, which means you get attacked 3 times by the "Borg vessels" instead of the normal 2 times.

4. The attacks from the "Borg vessels" occur outside of the Combat Phase, so you can't use Evade Token to guarantee a dodge. It does allow Ransom to give you +2 Defense Dice, however.

So, you'd get 3 Defense Dice against 3 unmodified attacks of 4 dice each before you enter the Conduit. According to the WORF, the first turn you're in the Conduit, you still get attacked by those same "Borg vessels" but you can't take any Actions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John-Luck Pickard
United States
flag msg tools
It is sad going over this again and noting there is nothing overly good about going for the objective. Back to the drawing board. And we are playing with no restrictions. Even Admirals Orders are allowed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Coon
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've been looking at a very different build personally. If the Aperature objective were worthwhile, I think the best ship choice ends up being an 8472 ship as your base ship, if you want to go for the Aperature. Because its only 5 hull you're getting the base 2 4 dice attacks, but you have fairly beefy hitpoints overall with the shields. You also have the high base primary weapon attack for a strong chance at the Conduit itself. The regenerate is a helpful backup action too.

This is a variant of the build I've been toying with, minus squadron upgrades EDIT: the is a variant for a venue that's doing a 120 point session suggest format but without blind buys:

List Name

Resource: Fleet Captain Independent (Dominion) (5)

Species 8472 Bioship (36)
Gorn Commander (4)
In'Cha (6)
Transwarp Drive (3)
Ship SP: 49

Dominion Attack Fighters (20)
Ship SP: 20

Relora-Sankur (26)
Loskene (4)
FleetCaptain (0)
I Stab at Thee (1)
Cloaked Mines (3)
Cloaked Mines (3)
Tractor Beam (1)
Ship SP: 38

Total Build SP: 112

Generated by STAW Builder
http://www.dracossoftware.com/STAWHome.html

This should be able to get your ship in the Aperature roughly on turn 2. Once again, its too bad the scenario's fundamental win condition has nothing to do with the Aperature itself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John-Luck Pickard
United States
flag msg tools
Updated!

Scimitar [Scimitar] (38)
Flagship: Romulan [DomWarPP4] (10)
Shinzon [Scimitar] (6)
Shinzon Romulan Talents [Scimitar] (4)
All Forward Disruptor Banks [Valdore] (0)
Attack Pattern Shinzon Theta [Scimitar] (0)
Full Stop [Scimitar] (0)
Direct Command [Vorta Vor] (0)
We Won't Go Back! [Assimilation Target Prime] (6)
Secondary Shields [Scimitar] (6)
Power Node [Queen Vessel Prime Expansion] (4)
Thalaron Weapon [Scimitar] (10)
Photon Torpedoes (Reman Bonus) [Scimitar] (6)
Total (90)

Fleet total: 90

Generated by Space Dock for iOS
http://spacedockapp.org

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.