Recommend
6 
 Thumb up
 Hide
26 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Imperial Settlers» Forums » General

Subject: Future of Imperial Settlers? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christopher Howard
United States
Bentonville
Arkansas
flag msg tools
I see that the first Empire Pack (Why Can't We Be Friends) is coming to the US soon....do we know what is planned for Imperial Settlers beyond this expansion? Will we ever see more factions added? Or will future expansions just be more cards to add to the current four factions?
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Van Hoeyveld
Belgium
Stabroek
Antwerp
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Apparently Ignacy is working on new factions (which isn't easy as he said himself, because new factions have to be very different from existing ones. I think there's a blog of him in which he writes about this huge challenge).

And besides that, I guess we can expect more of those expansion packs with more cards to integrate the deckbuiling aspect of the game more.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vojtas
Poland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I've heard that Portal will release three expansions per year: one big (new faction) and two small ones (just new cards like WCWBF).

The future of Imperial Settlers is bright.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ross
Scotland
Motherwell
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Really? While I'd like to see (at most) a couple of extra factions, too many could lead to bloat very fast.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
m Vlad
Romania
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
I hope the following faction's expansion box won't be as big as the base game, I'd rather have two factions at a time in a smaller box that would fit in the basegame's.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cartwright
United Kingdom
Spilsby
LINCS
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The problem with lots of new cards and faction expansions is it will soon fill up the base box. I'd still like to see a few new factions maybe a couple that dealt with wood and stone in different ways and one that let you store defence tokens. A more advanced solo system would be good to see as an expansion as well.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas H
Austria
Linz
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Rindel wrote:
The problem with lots of new cards and faction expansions is it will soon fill up the base box. I'd still like to see a few new factions maybe a couple that dealt with wood and stone in different ways and one that let you store defence tokens. A more advanced solo system would be good to see as an expansion as well.


Concerning the solo play - did you already check out the campaign mode, which was part of Portals Christmas present for the fans? If not, please try it out. It's really an interesting improvement compared to the "normal" solo games.

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cartwright
United Kingdom
Spilsby
LINCS
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Kosmoko wrote:
Rindel wrote:
The problem with lots of new cards and faction expansions is it will soon fill up the base box. I'd still like to see a few new factions maybe a couple that dealt with wood and stone in different ways and one that let you store defence tokens. A more advanced solo system would be good to see as an expansion as well.


Concerning the solo play - did you already check out the campaign mode, which was part of Portals Christmas present for the fans? If not, please try it out. It's really an interesting improvement compared to the "normal" solo games.



I've downloaded it just haven't read through it all yet.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Moleman
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
I was saying boo-urns
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
VetruvianGamer wrote:
Apparently Ignacy is working on new factions (which isn't easy as he said himself, because new factions have to be very different from existing ones. I think there's a blog of him in which he writes about this huge challenge).

And besides that, I guess we can expect more of those expansion packs with more cards to integrate the deckbuilding aspect of the game more.



I crave for more factions, but can definitely see the problem in trying to create uniqueness and balance.

I am not huge on additional cards for the faction deck -- in fact, I don't care too much about a deck building aspect. I have deck builders and I'm not terrible huge on the 'living-card game' potential this might be heading towards.

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
m Vlad
Romania
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
Will the next factions include open production as well? Or will there be a 'Why can't we be friends" as a small pack?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
Avatar
mb
ska_dad wrote:
Really? While I'd like to see (at most) a couple of extra factions, too many could lead to bloat very fast.
And yet a game like Summoner Wars supports 14 different factions, and people can't get enough of that game.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Forrey
United States
Dallastown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:
ska_dad wrote:
Really? While I'd like to see (at most) a couple of extra factions, too many could lead to bloat very fast.
And yet a game like Summoner Wars supports 14 different factions, and people can't get enough of that game.


Exactly.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vojtas
Poland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ska_dad wrote:
Really? While I'd like to see (at most) a couple of extra factions, too many could lead to bloat very fast.

Don't expect more factions than one per year. I think Ignacy will release them in pace similar to army packs of Neuroshima HEX.

Rindel wrote:
The problem with lots of new cards and faction expansions is it will soon fill up the base box.

I assume than new IS factions will be released in medium size box - the same size has a box of Race for the Galaxy.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Forrey
United States
Dallastown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
vojtasass wrote:
ska_dad wrote:
Really? While I'd like to see (at most) a couple of extra factions, too many could lead to bloat very fast.

Don't expect more factions than one per year. I think Ignacy will release them in pace similar to army packs of Neuroshima HEX.

Rindel wrote:
The problem with lots of new cards and faction expansions is it will soon fill up the base box.

I assume than new IS factions will be released in medium size box - the same size has a box of Race for the Galaxy.


He already specifically replied to a question I asked about his. They are going to release a few small packs each year and one BIG BOX that adds MULTIPLE new factions to the base game. It's going to closely follow the same way they do LCG's just with less monthly packs.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Howard
United States
Bentonville
Arkansas
flag msg tools
bearn wrote:
vojtasass wrote:
ska_dad wrote:
Really? While I'd like to see (at most) a couple of extra factions, too many could lead to bloat very fast.

Don't expect more factions than one per year. I think Ignacy will release them in pace similar to army packs of Neuroshima HEX.

Rindel wrote:
The problem with lots of new cards and faction expansions is it will soon fill up the base box.

I assume than new IS factions will be released in medium size box - the same size has a box of Race for the Galaxy.


He already specifically replied to a question I asked about his. They are going to release a few small packs each year and one BIG BOX that adds MULTIPLE new factions to the base game. It's going to closely follow the same way they do LCG's just with less monthly packs.


Awesome! Thanks for this. Any idea when the first big box expansion with new factions will be released?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
cinos
United Kingdom
Ely
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
utahckh wrote:
bearn wrote:
vojtasass wrote:
ska_dad wrote:
Really? While I'd like to see (at most) a couple of extra factions, too many could lead to bloat very fast.

Don't expect more factions than one per year. I think Ignacy will release them in pace similar to army packs of Neuroshima HEX.

Rindel wrote:
The problem with lots of new cards and faction expansions is it will soon fill up the base box.

I assume than new IS factions will be released in medium size box - the same size has a box of Race for the Galaxy.


He already specifically replied to a question I asked about his. They are going to release a few small packs each year and one BIG BOX that adds MULTIPLE new factions to the base game. It's going to closely follow the same way they do LCG's just with less monthly packs.


Awesome! Thanks for this. Any idea when the first big box expansion with new factions will be released?


Probably some time between now and the end of the year...maybe, don't quote me on that.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
utahckh wrote:

Awesome! Thanks for this. Any idea when the first big box expansion with new factions will be released?


I've seen others reference a date. It coincides with a big game fair, but I can't remember which one off the top of my head.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
trevor

Missouri
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah despite the overwhelmingly large majority of people who don't want this game to turn into ANOTHER deck building game, i think Ignacy had pretty much said "too bad"
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David S.
United States
Des Moines
Iowa
flag msg tools
V1 Rotate
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
bigGameGeek wrote:
Yeah despite the overwhelmingly large majority of people who don't want this game to turn into ANOTHER deck building game, i think Ignacy had pretty much said "too bad"


This basically means I'll stick with the base game and only add future factions if they're not over powered (or require the old factions to have the new cards to have a chance). I really don't want a LCG...
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Howard
United States
Bentonville
Arkansas
flag msg tools
I've never gotten into an LCG. New factions sound awesome, but I don't much understand the point of the smaller packs.... Sure, one or two is fine, but I can see how it'd get to be too much pretty quickly. And I completely agree, the new factions need to be balanced with original factions...
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vojtas
Poland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
bearn wrote:
He already specifically replied to a question I asked about his. They are going to release a few small packs each year and one BIG BOX that adds MULTIPLE new factions to the base game.

Multiple factions in one box? I will believe that, when I'll see it. Balancing one faction is really hard and Ignacy is working on other games too.

utahckh wrote:
I've never gotten into an LCG.

Just because the game has deck building aspect, it doesn't mean it's LCG.

utahckh wrote:
I don't much understand the point of the smaller packs....

To expand the game obviously. Add new stuff, new abilities, more fun. Also for money.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niclas Willberg
Finland
Vaasa
flag msg tools
The moon bearing the image of the desert kangaroo mouse, Muad'dib.
badge
The planet Arrakis, known as Dune.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
bigGameGeek wrote:
Yeah despite the overwhelmingly large majority of people who don't want this game to turn into ANOTHER deck building game, i think Ignacy had pretty much said "too bad"


Or the vocal minority. I'm not gonna be posting these forums (other than this post ;D ) since Ignacy seems to be taking the game into the exact direction I'm hoping for.

If you don't want the new packs, just don't buy them...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David S.
United States
Des Moines
Iowa
flag msg tools
V1 Rotate
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
xSuperioRx wrote:
bigGameGeek wrote:
Yeah despite the overwhelmingly large majority of people who don't want this game to turn into ANOTHER deck building game, i think Ignacy had pretty much said "too bad"


Or the vocal minority. I'm not gonna be posting these forums (other than this post ;D ) since Ignacy seems to be taking the game into the exact direction I'm hoping for.

If you don't want the new packs, just don't buy them...


I probably won't because the group of gamers I play with have zero interest in pre-building decks (LCG style)

My concern is, will the new factions take into account new (possible more powerful) cards of the existing factions? Will they have more cards to begin with in order to match existing factions that have had cards added?

Preferably for me, will they be balanced against the current factions so that we who do not want another LCG style game can play them with the base factions.

I think that's the main concern right now from those of us that don't have the time/desire to deck build.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Bazynski
Poland
Warsaw
Mazowieckie
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
vojtasass wrote:


utahckh wrote:
I've never gotten into an LCG.

Just because the game has deck building aspect, it doesn't mean it's LCG.



That's true but a game with deck-building pre-game AND expansions with non-random cards means it is a LCG

And it's a great thing! An economic euro LCG? That is exactly what I was waiting for for a long time now.

I just need more cards. Please give me more cards.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niclas Willberg
Finland
Vaasa
flag msg tools
The moon bearing the image of the desert kangaroo mouse, Muad'dib.
badge
The planet Arrakis, known as Dune.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Malekous wrote:
Preferably for me, will they be balanced against the current factions so that we who do not want another LCG style game can play them with the base factions.

I think that's the main concern right now from those of us that don't have the time/desire to deck build.


Understood, and I totally agree that it would suck if you can't play with new factions combined with the base game ones without having some factions unbalanced (without deck building).

But isn't it too early to worry about that? Wait until the new faction expansion arrives and have other test it out before buying.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.