GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

9,826 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
15 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
19 
 Thumb up
 Hide
29 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Print and Play» Forums » General

Subject: 2014 PnP Awards - NOMINATIONS! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve S
United States
Roscoe
Illinois
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
OK folks, let's get this ball rolling!

Think a PnP game that was released in 2014 is award-worthy? Nominate it!

There will be several categories available - pick a game for any or all!

The following rules apply:

* "Released in 2014" is based on the BGG "published" date on the game page
* Speaking of BGG game pages, it has to have one
* It must be a complete, finished game. No "Demos" or "WIPs"
* It must be an original game - no "rethemes" of existing games
* It must be freely available for download
* It must not be a PnP version of a commercially published game.

Keeping this in mind, please leave a response with your choices for the following - nominations will go until February 1, 2015, after which the most nominated games will be selected to vote on later in February (possibly 5-10 games per category depending on how many nominations come in):

Most Innovative Design:

Best Graphic/Visual Design:

Best Card Game:

Best Board Game:

Best Solitaire Game:

Best Kid-Friendly Game:


Note:
If you feel a game is the best in more than one category, feel free to nominate it under as many categories as you think it fits

9 
 Thumb up
5.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Cramer
United States
Provo
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Citizen Cane is a great game and nominate it for best kid-friendly game, best board game, and best Graphic/visual design.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Scheuer
Germany
Eppelsheim
Rheinland Pfalz
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This link shows all the PNP games of 2014:
http://boardgamegeek.com/geeksearch.php?action=search&advsea...

So many choices ...

(Edit: also contains items that got published meanwhile .. Anyone knows, how to filter those out?)
3 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heiko Günther
Germany
Saarbrücken
Saarland
flag msg tools
designer
Coming soon: Peak Oil!
badge
I spent 100 GG so you can read this.
Avatar
schattentanz wrote:
This link shows all the PNP games of 2014:
http://boardgamegeek.com/geeksearch.php?action=search&advsea...
(...)(Edit: also contains items that got published meanwhile .. Anyone knows, how to filter those out?)
I am not sure; Aren't we only taking games into the contest that are nominated explicitely. Or do we plan to try and filter that crazy search (I can only spot about 3 non-poblished games in the first 10 entries found by this search.)? I understood the former to be the prefered method.

Before the nominations really get going; May I suggest to use a geeklist instead, sorted alphabetically? That might help keeping it a bit ordered, prevent double nominations and so forth?

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Scheuer
Germany
Eppelsheim
Rheinland Pfalz
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The Link is supposed to be for those not sure what actually is there on the PNP market ..

But: Yes, we should totally aim for a Geeklist including the nominations and the nominations only!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avri
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Spell Saga for the following:

Most Innovative Design
Best Graphic/Visual Design
Best Card Game
Best Solitaire Game
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve S
United States
Roscoe
Illinois
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
schattentanz wrote:
(Edit: also contains items that got published meanwhile .. Anyone knows, how to filter those out?)


On the first thread about the awards I did an advanced search and told it to narrow down the publisher to "web published" only.

The problem with this is that there appear to be a LOT of PnP games that are listed under a "publisher" name that aren't actually commercial publishers but are rather the "game company" name that the designer has chosen for him/herself.

For example, using that criteria, none of Todd Sander's games would qualify, because he has them listed under a publisher name.

As another example, Spell Saga is listed as published by "French Toast Gaming Co." - which appears to be primarily just a husband & wife team.
However, they did have a Kickstarter for the game.
Does that mean the game should automatically be disqualified, or are "self published" games OK even if Kickstarted - and if so where should the line be drawn as to how big of a publisher should be considered "commercially published."

Tricky area.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heiko Günther
Germany
Saarbrücken
Saarland
flag msg tools
designer
Coming soon: Peak Oil!
badge
I spent 100 GG so you can read this.
Avatar
Shadoglare wrote:
Does that mean the game should automatically be disqualified, or are "self published" games OK even if Kickstarted - and if so where should the line be drawn as to how big of a publisher should be considered "commercially published."
I think that should be a hard limitation; If a game has had a (successful) kickstarter, we should consider it commercially published, as this seems to be the aim of kickstarting a game, no matter the size of the publishing company. Unfortunately, that would exclude Spell Saga from participating.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Scheuer
Germany
Eppelsheim
Rheinland Pfalz
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say, PNP is PNP, no matter whether commercial or free.
If we rule out commercial products, we would have to rule out Victory Point Games completely!

If, however, a game has only been a PNP product to lure people into kickstarting the product and the files are removed, then it should no longer qualify for a nomination.

BTW: Spell Saga still has got some PNP files, so it should qualify due to them..



Kind regards,
Kai
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shalom Craimer
Israel
Givat Zeev
(Near Jerusalem)
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mb
Not a problem. I know who Victory Point Games are, and I know what they make.

As a spectator, I'd hope that such an event like this would expose to me new games that I've never heard of.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kat Tastrophy
United States
Alexandria
VA
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
scraimer wrote:
As a spectator, I'd hope that such an event like this would expose to me new games that I've never heard of.


I am also of this mindset, what PnP games in 2014 can we discover that slipped through the cracks but yet definitely meet the nomination criteria. I am going to delve into the search list and see what games I ran across in 2014 that I was not aware of that might beat out what I already had built, played, etc.

shadoglare wrote:
* "Released in 2014" is based on the BGG "published" date on the game page
* Speaking of BGG game pages, it has to have one
* It must be a complete, finished game. No "Demos" or "WIPs"
* It must be an original game - no "rethemes" of existing games
* It must be freely available for download
* It must not be a PnP version of a commercially published game.


So what is the collective for commercially published game definition when it comes to PnP? Is it a commercial game IF the publisher is an officially incorporated business? IF the publisher sells their games?

At this point I am going to look at if the game itself is found in the Internets being sold by the designer/publisher then it is commercially accessible (web sales, Kickstarter, IndieGoGo, etc.) and not to be looked at for selection. That can be the only validation for the game to be nominated at this time because it is the game to be nominated itself, not the publisher, that is going through the selection process.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve S
United States
Roscoe
Illinois
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a couple things I have in mind regarding this:

1) I don't want the awards to become a promotional tool for a game company

2) Commercial publishers often have access to design resources that hobbyists don't, such as professional artists & designers.

Overall people tend to gravitate towards games that "look pretty" first and foremost before checking out the mechanics.
There's nothing wrong with that, but it gives the commercial publishers an unfair advantage IMO.

Also, I want it to stick to free products because I don't want people to feel like they need to pay a fee to try out a game that is being nominated. (Though this may "fix itself" when there aren't enough nominations to qualify it for final voting later).
5 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadoglare wrote:

As another example, Spell Saga is listed as published by "French Toast Gaming Co." - which appears to be primarily just a husband & wife team.
However, they did have a Kickstarter for the game.
Does that mean the game should automatically be disqualified, or are "self published" games OK even if Kickstarted - and if so where should the line be drawn as to how big of a publisher should be considered "commercially published."


I would note that the "French Toast Gaming Co." may be a husband-and-wife team, but lots of gaming companies are very small. Treefrog Games is just a husband and wife team, so far as I can tell, and nobody would suggest that they're not a commercial publisher.

There's not going to be a single answer that works for everything and everybody, of course.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Cole
United States
Towson
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Escape Velocity Games! Yay!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
lee elektrik wrote:
Shadoglare wrote:
Does that mean the game should automatically be disqualified, or are "self published" games OK even if Kickstarted - and if so where should the line be drawn as to how big of a publisher should be considered "commercially published."
I think that should be a hard limitation; If a game has had a (successful) kickstarter, we should consider it commercially published, as this seems to be the aim of kickstarting a game, no matter the size of the publishing company. Unfortunately, that would exclude Spell Saga from participating.


Agreed. If it's had a successful Kickstarter or is available commercially (a FLGS or Amazon or direct from publisher), I don't think it should qualify.

Steve.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MyO the HedgeFox
Russia
flag msg tools
The Verse flows throughout Aquaria. Through each ripple and wave, through every living being, The Verse binds us all as one.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Best Board Game, Best Graphic Design, Most Innovative Game: A Straight Road
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve S
United States
Roscoe
Illinois
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, I am going to narrow these down later as I need to try to get a few games in, but these are what are catching my eye at the moment:

Most Innovative Design: Pasture 51: They Came for our Angus, Ciudades Paralelas (maybe, the concept sounds interesting but I have to see if I can understand the translated rules)

Best Graphic/Visual Design: ?

Best Card Game: ?

Best Board Game: ...and then, we held hands.

Best Solitaire Game: Starship: Panic, Supermarché, Raiders in my Pocket, Rail Baron Rivals, Pet Shop

Best Kid-Friendly Game: Hamster Ball Challenge, Pleasant Prospect Farm

Again these are not my final nominations, just getting some ideas out there..
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dennis bennett
Germany
back in Frankfurt!
flag msg tools
designer
badge
more of my stuff at www.dennisthebadger.com
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
can i nominate my own game Lords of Grevelheim?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve S
United States
Roscoe
Illinois
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
dennisthebadger wrote:
can i nominate my own game Lords of Grevelheim?


Sure - category?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Cramer
United States
Provo
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I nominate Mutiny for these categories:

Most Innovative Design

Best Graphic/Visual Design

Best Card Game

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are my nominations!

Most Innovative Design: Quest for the Open Tavern

Best Graphic/Visual Design: The Seeker in the Forest of Wyr

Best Card Game: Quick Joust

Best Board Game: Supermarché

Best Solitaire Game: Pet Shop

Best Kid-Friendly Game: ?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve S
United States
Roscoe
Illinois
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
BuckWilde wrote:
I nominate Mutiny! for these categories:

Most Innovative Design

Best Graphic/Visual Design

Best Card Game



I'm gonna guess you meant Mutiny?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dennis bennett
Germany
back in Frankfurt!
flag msg tools
designer
badge
more of my stuff at www.dennisthebadger.com
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadoglare wrote:
dennisthebadger wrote:
can i nominate my own game Lords of Grevelheim?


Sure - category?


Perhaps:

Best Graphic/Visual Design

Best Card Game

Best Kid-Friendly Game


??

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Cramer
United States
Provo
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadoglare wrote:
BuckWilde wrote:
I nominate Mutiny! for these categories:

Most Innovative Design

Best Graphic/Visual Design

Best Card Game



I'm gonna guess you meant Mutiny?


Whoops! Yes I did. Fixed!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Thompson
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
IS it considered poor taste to submit your own game for an award?

If not, I'd like to submit Allegiance for best card game.

If so, I want to submit Quick Joust for best card game.

cool
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Skirmish_Tactics wrote:
IS it considered poor taste to submit your own game for an award?

If not, I'd like to submit Allegiance for best card game.

If so, I want to submit Quick Joust for best card game.

cool


I would say no because it might be the best way for people to hear about you!

Also, too bad its not 2013 because I would nominate Skirmish Tactics Apocalypse as best PnP game hands down!!!
4 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.