Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Firefly: The Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: Reverend Killjoy's Crew Packs rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Cafiero
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
Hello, comrades.

In this thread, I would like to present some crew packs, leaders and crew designed to represent various crews from media, novels, and so forth. All very unofficial, very user-discretion, very much take-it-or-leave-it.

The first crew, already posted elsewhere but re-linked here, is the crew of the Porkchop Express, from John Carpenter's classic Big Trouble in Little China:









Source Info: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0090728/?ref_=nv_sr_1
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Cafiero
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
mb

The second crew is the crew of the NSEA Protector, from Galaxy Quest:








Source Info: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0177789/?ref_=nv_sr_1
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Mason
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Big thumbs up for great movie references. I love the idea of incorporating GQ theme.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Good stuff!

I commented on the gang from the Pork Chop Express before... but I do love a good commentary!

JACK BURTON looks great and I love the idea of tying Thrillin' Heroics in with Crew abilities (as previously noted, I would never have thought of that innovation), but I have a minor concern that he wouldn't stack up to other leaders. Thrillin' Heroics is nice, but to me, not as nice as money in the bank. Maybe it's just the games I play, but rarely if ever is the extra die (much less a second one) a factor.

I think I had suggested an alternate cash bonus previously, but what if instead Jack can remove Disgruntled from any one Crew on Thrillin' Heroics?

WANG CHI, GRACIE LAW, and EDDIE LEE are all spot-on. Once again (on Eddie), I love how you've incorporated Thrillin' Heroics.

EGG SHEN looks good, and once again, I applaud the creativity of a bonus offered for an entirely Moral Crew. Nice stuff. (Minor quibble: in his ability, a "2" is not required before the two Fight icons). It's been a little while since I've seen the movie now, but does he really fight that often? If not, I would remove the "Kill 1 Crew" from the loss on the Bounty.

MIAO YIN is the only one of the batch I have an issue with, because she makes it incredibly easy to lose your entire Crew. Anything that Disgruntles all Moral with Disgruntle everyone (including Jack)... and then do it a second time. Gone. Goodbye. Just from one unlucky card. To me, that's so extreme that I would never consider playing her.

As an alternative, what if she only Disgruntles Crew who are not already Disgruntled? Still not sure I would ever use her due to the high level of risk, but it's a little better that way.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
On the the GALAXY QUEST crew...

TAGGART looks pretty solid, but I can't help but feel that he should have a key word (although I'm not sure what it would be). Or at least Moral? He's selfish, yes, but still cares about folk.

I really like the cash bonus on Aces (another nice twist incorporating core rules), but I don't know how I feel about turning Tech rolls into Talk rolls. At best, he should be able to do it once per Work Action, like Stitch and Sheydra. This allows him to fully disregard one out of three skills, which is a HUGE advantage (and also doesn't play well with the rest of his Crew).

DR. LAZARUS looks good for skills, etc. There's nothing wrong with his ability (the Medic bonus) but I can't help but think there are other, more colorful, options. Been a long time since I've seen the movie, though.

LAREDO - I like the ability, but he's arguably overpriced at $200 for one keyword, one skill, and Moral.

MADISON is also probably over-priced with 2 skills, no keyword, and Moral. A re-roll on certain Showdowns is nice, but might be somewhat limited in general use.

If anyone has a Tech-to-Talk ability, should it perhaps be Madison? Isn't her whole job to repeat what the computer says? I could almost see her offering the ability to reroll a failed Tech (once per turn or whatever) as a Talk check.

CHEN and INGERSOLL seem spot on.





 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Cafiero
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
gwek wrote:

JACK BURTON looks great and I love the idea of tying Thrillin' Heroics in with Crew abilities (as previously noted, I would never have thought of that innovation), but I have a minor concern that he wouldn't stack up to other leaders. Thrillin' Heroics is nice, but to me, not as nice as money in the bank. Maybe it's just the games I play, but rarely if ever is the extra die (much less a second one) a factor.


REVISED (Simple Solution):


gwek wrote:

EGG SHEN looks good, and once again, I applaud the creativity of a bonus offered for an entirely Moral Crew. Nice stuff. (Minor quibble: in his ability, a "2" is not required before the two Fight icons). It's been a little while since I've seen the movie now, but does he really fight that often? If not, I would remove the "Kill 1 Crew" from the loss on the Bounty.


I added those for the influence of the Six Demon Bag, the heroism potion, and the explosive magic and fireworks...

gwek wrote:

MIAO YIN is the only one of the batch I have an issue with, because she makes it incredibly easy to lose your entire Crew. Anything that Disgruntles all Moral with Disgruntle everyone (including Jack)... and then do it a second time. Gone. Goodbye. Just from one unlucky card. To me, that's so extreme that I would never consider playing her.


REVISED (One of several suggestions):


Thanks for great and useful feedback as always.

Killjoy
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Some pretty easy fixes. Nicely done!

In retrospect, I think Transport belongs on Jack either way!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.