Hide
11 Posts

Boss Monster: The Dungeon Building Card Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: "Destroy This Room" and "Crushinator" questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kaci Garcia
msg tools
Can you destroy a "Destroy This Room" card during the "Build" phase and then build another room if you haven't yet? (ex: You enter "build" phase but you already have five rooms. You destroy one and reap the benefits and then build a new room.)

Can you play a "Destroy This Room" card and then immediately destroy it to reap its benefits?

When can the "Crushinator" be used? "Build" phase, "Adventure" phase, or both?

If a room is "Frozen", can you still destroy it with the "Crushinator"?

If you destroy a room with the "Crushinator" to give your other rooms +2, but then someone uses a "Freeze" card on your "Crushinator", does this mean that ability is no longer valid for that turn?

My husband and I have been arguing about this for hours, so any answers would probably save our marriage. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donn Hardy
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thewitchbaby wrote:
Can you destroy a "Destroy This Room" card during the "Build" phase and then build another room if you haven't yet? (ex: You enter "build" phase but you already have five rooms. You destroy one and reap the benefits and then build a new room.)

Yes.

thewitchbaby wrote:
Can you play a "Destroy This Room" card and then immediately destroy it to reap its benefits?

No. Once the rooms are flipped, the build phase ends. Rooms can't be destroyed again until the Adventure phase.

thewitchbaby wrote:
When can the "Crushinator" be used? "Build" phase, "Adventure" phase, or both?

All room abilities can be used in both phases.

thewitchbaby wrote:
If a room is "Frozen", can you still destroy it with the "Crushinator"?

This one I'm not sure on, but my understanding is that for gameplay purposes, the room is essentially not there, so I would think the answer is no.

thewitchbaby wrote:
If you destroy a room with the "Crushinator" to give your other rooms +2, but then someone uses a "Freeze" card on your "Crushinator", does this mean that ability is no longer valid for that turn?

The +2 for all of the other rooms is still in effect, but you can no longer use the ability that turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike gamer
msg tools
I don't think this is correct; in the glossary at the end of the rulebook is has an entry for destroying rooms. It says that a room can only be destroyed when it is the active room and when a card allows for it. So in the case of the Crushinator, you have to wait for a hero to be in a room, activate the crushinator to destroy the room (which makes thematic sense).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donn Hardy
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mjenista wrote:
I don't think this is correct; in the glossary at the end of the rulebook is has an entry for destroying rooms. It says that a room can only be destroyed when it is the active room and when a card allows for it. So in the case of the Crushinator, you have to wait for a hero to be in a room, activate the crushinator to destroy the room (which makes thematic sense).

All room abilities can be used during either the Build or Adventure phases. They're treated (for the most part) like spells. I don't think I have ever heard the term "active room" used for this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donn Hardy
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah! Yes, rooms can be deactivated. For example, Freeze deactivates a room. So an active room is one that is not deactivated (turned sideways).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Suicyd King
United States
New York
flag msg tools
To expand on this question, would I be able to use Bottemless Pit, for example, in the build phase, even though there are no heroes in my dungeon at that time? Or would I be limited to using room abilities that do not target a hero in a dungeon?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike U
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
suicydking wrote:
To expand on this question, would I be able to use Bottemless Pit, for example, in the build phase, even though there are no heroes in my dungeon at that time? Or would I be limited to using room abilities that do not target a hero in a dungeon?

No, you have to have a valid target in order to activate an ability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Giesbrecht
Canada
flag msg tools
Unless the rule book is wrong for the adventure phase, you can't activate crushinator until a hero steps into that room. The rule book says that Adventure phase is (1)heroes enter room, (2)room does dmg, (3)you may play an ability of that room or a spell, and then (4)death or survival of the hero.
Correct me if I'm wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donn Hardy
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sweetpayne wrote:
Unless the rule book is wrong for the adventure phase, you can't activate crushinator until a hero steps into that room. The rule book says that Adventure phase is (1)heroes enter room, (2)room does dmg, (3)you may play an ability of that room or a spell, and then (4)death or survival of the hero.
Correct me if I'm wrong.

That just means that there is a pause while the hero is there so that you can do things like that. Room abilities can be played at any time during the build or adventure phase as long as their is a valid target.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike U
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Donn is right. The adventure phase starts when priority is handed to the first player (highest XP). At this point, players can play anything they want, even though a Hero has not even moved yet.

There is a pause in between each Hero movement, as well as before any Hero moves and after the last Hero is killed/survives.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.