Subject: [Link] The Bolo Stories by Keith Laumer (and Others) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ancestral Hamster
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Bolo stories were one of the inspirations for Steve Jackson's Ogre.

For those interested in the original Bolo stories and the later stories written by others, some links.

The Keith Laumer Wiki
The wikipedia article and bibliography Bolo (Tank)

The Fifth Imperium archive hosts the various free CDs that came with the hardcover editions of a number of Baen books. These have the complete texts of various novels & anthologies. This includes some of the newer Bolo stories. The Hell Hath No Fury CD has Bolo!, Old Soldiers, and The Road to Damascus. [Suggestion. Read Bolo! first, as a character from one of the short stories is the main human character of Old Soldiers at a later point in her career.]

As Baen Publishing itself permits the copying and redistribution of their CDs (provided they are not sold for profit), one can read these books for free.

Edit 1: Peapicker has made an excellent post below with the bibliographical info from Wikipedia and his own comments about which supertank stories were available to Steve Jackson when he designed Ogre. As he notes, the only Bolo anthology available then was the compilation of the original Keith Laumer stories collected from various sci-fi magazines.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Robinson
United Kingdom
Barrow in Furness
Cumbria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Might be worth reposting this in the Military fiction bookshelf for January, might reach a few more people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K A
United States
Killington
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jon7167 wrote:
Might be worth reposting this in the Military fiction bookshelf for January, might reach a few more people.

Jon, where is that bookshelf located? Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ducimus
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks I've been trying to find copies of these for a while. Mine is gone and the local library only has reference copies in their collection that don't leave the library (they have a scifi and fantasy collection of notable books in each genre).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Saxton
United States
Affton (St. Louis)
Missouri
flag msg tools
After all, gas can is my middle name. Eh, not really.
mbmbmbmbmb
For anyone looking for old books, new books, any books:

www.abebooks.com

They don't have everything, but it sure seems like they do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Holder
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunately, I don't think any of the original Laumer Bolo books are available in the Baen CD sets, only the one by other authors.

Published by Baen:
Bolo Brigade(1997) - William H. Keith Jr.
Bolo Rising(1998) - William H. Keith Jr.
Bolos I: Honor of the Regiment(1993) - Short story anthology, based on Laumer
Bolos II: The Unconquerable(1994) - Short story anthology, based on Laumer
Bolos III: The Triumphant(1995) - Short story anthology, based on Laumer
Bolos IV: Last Stand(1997) - Short story anthology, based on Laumer
Bolos V: Old Guard(2001) - Short story anthology, based on Laumer
Bolos VI: Cold Steel(2002) - Short story anthology, based on Laumer
Bolo Strike(2001) - William H. Keith Jr.
The Road to Damascus(2004) - John Ringo & Linda Evans (on Baen CD)
Bolo!(2005) - David Weber (on Baen CD)
Old Soldiers(2005) - David Weber (on Baen CD)

However, the original Laumer book from 1976, the ONLY one available when OGRE was designed, not published by Baen:
1) Bolo: Annals of the Dinochrome Brigade(1976) - Keith Laumer (republished in "The Compleat Bolo" with the second book in 1990) These short stories were published in various magazines between 1960 and 1969, and are collected in this volume.
2) Rogue Bolo(1986), by Keith Laumer - the second Bolo novel, published ~9 years after OGRE was originally.
3) The Stars Must Wait(1990) by Keith Laumer is the third book in the series.
These three are in most used book shops I've been in in my area.

I've collected most of these, along with the other main story mentioned by Steve Jackson sited as influences in the OGRE rules:
"Gottlos"(1969) by Colin Kapp (I got a book of collected shorts from the Analog magazine (it was in Nov 1969) from interlibrary loan and then scanned it as a PDF).

There is some fantastic OGRE fanfiction on a few sites.

DataPulse on goingfaster.com has a nice fiction section, all by Christopher Shields. I've really enjoyed these as well. I've formatted them nicely into PDF -- perhaps I should contact Mr. Sheilds about putting these into an eBook format (epub probably) for people.

Some others that seem to 'fit' into fans of Ogre fiction:

- David Drake's Hammer's Slammers books. A new three-volume collection has them all...
Links: Volume 1, Volume 2, Volume 3. (most of these can be found on Baen CD #3, "Slammers CD" at the fifth imperium linked to above.)

- A Boy and His Tank(1999) by Leo Frankowski. Background and ten chapters here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ancestral Hamster
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ducimus wrote:
Thanks I've been trying to find copies of these for a while. Mine is gone and the local library only has reference copies in their collection that don't leave the library (they have a scifi and fantasy collection of notable books in each genre).
You're welcome. Baen Publishing and a number of their authors are being generous with these ebooks on CD, and I'm glad to pass the word to any interested readers.

Also, thanks for the tip!

@Peapicker: Thanks for the useful bibliography you've provided. My original post now links to it directly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron A
United States
Coronado
California
flag msg tools
badge
Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet-Gen. Mattis
mbmbmbmbmb
peapicker wrote:

However, the original Laumer book from 1976, the ONLY one available when OGRE was designed, not published by Baen:
1) Bolo: Annals of the Dinochrome Brigade(1976)

I've got the 1977 Berkley paperback with the awesome cover art by Vincent di Fate:

Any big time Ogre fan needs to read the stories "Field Test" and "Combat Unit."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Holder
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have that same edition...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Koch
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have that edition in my archives as well... Bolo lead me to OGRE... The was also a old Apple ][ game http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bolo_(1982_video_game).

Ahhh.... the memories....!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAS BROWN
msg tools
robkoch2112 wrote:
I have that edition in my archives as well... Bolo lead me to OGRE... The was also a old Apple ][ game http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bolo_(1982_video_game).

Ahhh.... the memories....!

If you wanna play it online use...
http://www.virtualapple.org/ogredisk.html

It's a browser apple emulator..many of the old games are there.
You'll have to install the extension to play tho.

I wasted many an hour on ogre & autoduel.

(EDIT: http://activegs.freetoolsassociation.com/
has the standalone file..you "should" be able to DL the ogre disk from the website then use the standalone to run without the browser.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.