Popular Tags: [View All]
nate ben-porat
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Hello all,
I just thought I'll ask this out of curiosity; when you play what is your goal? What makes you feel good? By the way of course the goal in gaming is to have fun but winning usually makes the game more fun, in those goals I'm talking about goals that make you satisfied. make you feel like you won or did good.
List of the most popular ones:

A. WIN. If you are "A" you'll do whatever you can to get to the first place, second place and down is as if you lost.

B. BEST. If you are "B" you want to be the highest place possible. "B" is probably more rewarding then "A" becuase even if your second or third you'll still be happy, although first is of course the best.

C. BETTER. If you are "C" you just want to improve your play from last time, if you do that you are satisfied.

D BEAT . If you are "D" you'll spot a player, he may be weak, strong, a player that you played with him before, and you do whatever you can to get a higher place then him.

E ORIGINAL. If you are "E" you have other way to win that makes you satisfy, share it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Chiarvesio
Italy
Torino
Piemonte
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Having fun?

I try to play to the best of my capacity but never to exclude other players from the fun. No early elimination, and so on...

I have more fun in a balanced game where at the last turn of play everybody still has a chance to win, even if at the end I am the loser, than in playing a game where after 15 minutes it's pretty clear who the winner will be but we have to keep on playing for hours!

my 2 cents

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Have faith
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm C I guess. But I really play for fun - the escapism, the living inside an interesting rules system for an hour or two, and the mental challenge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nicholson
Canada
Brantford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My goal?

F. Have fun. Having fun is the most important thing to me. If I play a game and win, but don't have fun, then I really didn't win. If I play a game and lose, but have fun, then I really won. For me, a key part of having fun is playing with others who are having fun, so I will facilitate that.

This is what makes me feel good, not winning. How long does the feeling last from winning? Not long. How long do bad feelings last when someone treats you poorly in order to win? Much longer. How long do you remember a game that was _really fun_? Much longer than you remember who won.

Your milage may vary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben .
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually "playing for fun" can actually be quite a dangerous goal, IMO, because what is "fun" can be different for different people.

For one person, "playing for fun" might be making the game close. For someone else "playing for fun" might be just making one big, dramatic move that actually causes kingmaking.

Now, I would hope, in general, when people say "playing for fun", they mean ensuring the fun levels for all involved, rather than just their own pleasure, but I think Nate's original selection is still valid - they are just different ways of having "fun".

For me, option B is the most fun. It provides me with a challenge, and also ensures that I'm not deliberately kingmaking with no other purpose.

The only potential worrying scenario is when the winner is miles ahead and going to win easily unless everyone gangs up on him and I am vying closely for 2nd place. In a game with interaction or conflict, unless I manage to convince everyone else to gang up on the leader to help ME win, I will always target the person that I am vying for 2nd with to help ensure my ganing the 2nd place.

I have previously been attacked for doing this by someone telling me that I should be attacking the leader at all cost, but as I pointed out, by doing so I'd be harming my position and just helping someone else to win. In my experience, it's usually that guy that you're competing with for 2nd place who's just trying to get you to sacrifice your own position to help him get a chance of winning. Now - fair play for trying to convince me - I have no problem with that at all - whether it's by cajoling, threatening, whining, whatever (in fact, I'll probably be trying my best to convince him that it's in his best interest to help ME win!) but he has no right to be upset after the game if I didn't do what he wanted.....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Kloth
United States
Wausau
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I absolutely hate, HATE how the word "fun" is used in gaming forums so much. Of course you're playing to have fun. That's as useful an answer as "just because".

I play depending on the other players. My favorite way of playing is no-holds-barred-all-out-to-the-death-WIN. It's very satisfying to play without holding back using every sneaking underhanded trick you have hammering your opponents without mercy and come out on top. This only works if all the other players are up for it though. You can't play like that with somebody who will be upset outside the game that you kicked them when they where down. Unless otherwise stated I treat every game as a zero sum of 1 winner the rest losers, and that has to be clear at the start of the game. If there is some kind of point system for taking 2nd or 3rd then I'll play for placement, but that's a special case for tournaments.

If I'm playing with people who can't separate game from reality then I play to highlight the themearrrhzombierobotninjagoo . If there isn't any theme I basically small-talk the game out (kinda give a little, take a little).

I much prefer debates to smalltalk though.devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Occu Pant
United States
Clive
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You are welcome in my gaming group any time. See http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/119837/page/2

MusedFable wrote:
I absolutely hate, HATE how the word "fun" is used in gaming forums so much. Of course you're playing to have fun. That's as useful an answer as "just because".

I play depending on the other players. My favorite way of playing is no-holds-barred-all-out-to-the-death-WIN. It's very satisfying to play without holding back using every sneaking underhanded trick you have hammering your opponents without mercy and come out on top. This only works if all the other players are up for it though. You can't play like that with somebody who will be upset outside the game that you kicked them when they where down. Unless otherwise stated I treat every game as a zero sum of 1 winner the rest losers, and that has to be clear at the start of the game. If there is some kind of point system for taking 2nd or 3rd then I'll play for placement, but that's a special case for tournaments.

If I'm playing with people who can't separate game from reality then I play to highlight the themearrrhzombierobotninjagoo . If there isn't any theme I basically small-talk the game out (kinda give a little, take a little).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Poochie D
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
A. WIN.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander B.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
For me, winning means absolutely nothing in board gaming (although it means a lot in other areas of my life of course). I want my entertainment time to be light rather than dense in most cases. I use my mind intensely in my work, so I get paid for that kind of dense thinking

I'll agree that the word "fun" doesn't mean much in this context, since some people find beating other people "fun".

These tend to be the most important to my definition of fun in board gaming, in descending importance:

1) Making interesting choices.

2) Interacting with interesting/kind people.

3) Learning new things and getting better at a game.

4) Immersive play including handling nice components and good imagery within the game context.

5) Playing uniquely/originally.

For me, playing with players who ONLY want to win, does not do a good job of 2 for me, in most cases.

I am the guy who will always suggest that if there are two strong and two weak players in a 2v2 game, that the game will be MUCH more fun if each team has a strong and weak player on it. I will never try to talk my way into a "winning" team, since neither crushing nor being crushed tend to be interesting.

Close games, interesting and unique play, memorable moments... these are what I call "good" gaming. That said, I will never "play less well than I can" just to make a game closer, but I would e.g. choose a weaker deck of Magic: the Gathering cards if my opponent also had a weaker deck to level the playing field PRIOR to the start of the game.

A person sneering at me because they think they are somehow "better" because they won the last game using some tired strategy... that is where I always have something better to do than continue wasting my time... just not fun or intersting for me. The one exception is if they are really good at a game that I badly want to get good at and I want to learn from them. Then I might ignore the "hero in their own mind" factor until I've learned what I want before moving on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dane Peacock
United States
Stansbury Park
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
That tickles
mbmbmbmbmb
Nate wrote:
By the way of course the goal in gaming is to have fun

Nate already mentioned a disclaimer on the fun idea, so I would have to say A, and I hope all of my opponents strive for the same. C would apply to games like Chess where a player is much better than me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Salinas
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nothing is more annoying than people who say they play games just to have fun--everybody does that!

More important is the kind of fun--the kind of fun where everyone is playing their best of their abilities within the rules with the goal of winning. Where the struggle to win is more fun than simply the fact of winning. Everyone played a great game and it came down to the very end. And even if you lose, you can take pride in you effort.

That's what gamers strive to have happen in their games. It doesn't always happen.

There is one major exception: learning and teaching games. But there the goal is to learn/teach the game well enough so in future games, you (and/or future opponents) can play to the best of their ability and make a competetive game out of it.

I get no particular enjoyment out of completely blowing out a far less skilled opponent--except if it allows that player to learn from the game and strive to improve his game. If I do get blown out in a game, I treat it as a learning experience so that I can play better the next game.

If you aren't trying to win to the best of your ability, you are breaking a social contract among the players of a game. You are letting the other players down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
You've left out choices like social interaction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mahaffey
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
GAME ARTIST
badge
GAME ARTIST
mbmbmbmbmb
He's defined certain terms for his question. If your answer doesn't line up with his terms, start your own thread! Is anyone capable of thinking of every conceivable reason someone might play a game for a multiple choice question?

yuk

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gert Corthout
Belgium
Lille
Antwerpen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MusedFable wrote:

I 100% agree! Unfortunately most of the other people I play with don't really see it that way. Which means they always gang up on me. But it's still fun though, especially when despite everyone playing against me I can somehow still snatch a win! This happens only very rarely though.

ps: are you the same MusedFable which sold me those cool custom Blood Bowl blocking dice last year?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Knauer
United States
Heathrow
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My goal- avoid last place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
eknauer wrote:
My goal- avoid last place.

Dude! That is so my goal as well.

Sadly I'm in my losing moon cycle lately, and it's been tough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Yim
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As much as I would like to answer "fun," I hate to get flamed. And getting flamed is not fun. zombie

It's a given that in order for most game systems to work, players need to be working toward the goal, i.e. trying to win. However, in my book a game that is working should also be producing fun. There's that word again. In a discussion of what makes us feel good or feel like we've won, it's unavoidable. But what is fun? Could a person who is tearing his hair out in frustration possibly be having fun? I would say it depends on which side of the boundary of play a person is situated. There is in-the-game frustration (which has an element of play-acting) and a kind of real-world frustration, which extends beyond the play frame and is most definitely not fun for anyone at the table. It is possible to experience a gamut of emotions within a game and still be having what most of us would call fun.

Fun to me is what other posters above alluded to: the pleasure of being safely ensconced in the world of the game, to interact with others within that realm, to witness the game mechanics in action, and to try to learn something about how those mechanics work, i.e. to figure out how to work within the rules and systems to move toward the agreed upon goal, to win.

Anyone that I play games with must accept a certain responsibility for the enjoyment of everyone at the table. A ruthless player who will do anything to win, including exploiting the confusion of a beginner, is not living up to the social part of the contract of my game group. Likewise, a person who takes the game way too seriously and harbors extra-game emnities is violating social expectations. A person who doesn't care who wins and makes random choices that screw up the game system is not living up to the game-goal part of the contract and is equally unwelcome. Either way, the enjoyment (read: fun) level plummets.

So, I want to win both because it makes me feel good and because it is a requirement of the contract I make with my opponents. I want to win fairly and humbly because it does not feel good to rout a less experienced player or stray outside the game system to find victory (e.g. because a player forgot a rule or I accidentally saw an opponent's cards). I take pleasure in having a sudden burst of ingenuity or creativity. I like the feeling of gaining an understanding or insight into a complex game system. Winning is evidence of that, so I like to win. If I can't win, then there is what I call a "relative win," which has to do more with my playing skills than the abilities of others. Last night I played Thurn & Taxis and was falling far behind because I was taking too long fiddling with my cards trying to build a perfect multi-region route. When I realized the game was about to end, I forced the sleepy part of my brain to wake up and thought very hard about ways to optimize my endgame. I came up with a plan that almost turned the game around for me. In my last turn, I swept up scoring tiles and ended up only a few points behind the winner. I didn't win, but it was a sweet victory nonetheless.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander B.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
Roger Yim wrote:
... I came up with a plan that almost turned the game around for me. In my last turn, I swept up scoring tiles and ended up only a few points behind the winner. I didn't win, but it was a sweet victory nonetheless.

I know exactly what you mean here! When what I call a "Kodak moment" happens in a game, then I have already won in the most essential sense (by my own standards).

Of course, these moments will only happen if I'm trying my best, the others are trying their best, the game is close, the players are not being rude, and it is a well done game to begin with!

That is a lot of "ifs", but the *feeling* of satisfaction can be just as strong for me win or lose so long as I am learning and the game unfolds in an interesting manner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
F - having FUN is certainly the most important aspect for me.
After that (way after!) does it depend on the game. If I am playing a silly game do I not play to win, but to make it even more fun. If I play a strategy game I play to win - or more correctly: to do my best.

Since I have two very good female players in my group, my most realistic goal is to beat the other guys!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Okasaki
United States
White Plains
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My primary goal in playing a game is to make sure the people I am playing with have fun, so that they'll play with me again. My secondary goal is to have fun myself. Encountering cool/interesting/memorable situations is probably third, with winning a distant fourth.

I occasionally get a chance to play with a gaming group, and then my priorities might shift. However, the vast majority of my play is with family/friends, and if I make the game un-fun for them, I run a serious risk of not getting to play at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Green
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a mixed bag. My ultimate goal is to foster gaming, create new gamers, make new friends, keep them coming back, etc. So sometimes I play to win at all costs (A), sometimes I play to beat my last score (C), sometimes I just play for the experience of the game without real regard to winning, just trying to see what I can accomplish within the game system and trying out different strategies in a type of exploration (E). Sometimes when I'm playing and it's obvious that someone else really wants to win and they are in a precarious position against an aggressive player, I'll side with the underdog and try to diplomatically help them or at least not hinder them while still not "pulling punches" in my own play. My ultimate goal, especially when I'm hosting, is to make sure everyone has a good time and not do things to people in game that are going to be remembered and cause grudges out of game afterwards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Alvaro
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If by the end of the game I and the other players can all honestly look each other in the eye and say "good game", then I have acheived my goal. All efforts during the game go into having this "good game". If I won the game, then that's even better.

What goes into a having "good game"? Foremost, I'd say sportsmanship. Not to be confused with gamesmanship.

Sportsmanship - http://merriam-webster.com/dictionary/sportsmanship
Gamesmanship - http://merriam-webster.com/dictionary/gamesmanship

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.