1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: 15min lunchtime games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
uttaku -
msg tools
Hi boardgamers,

My office has recently become more relaxed on lunchtimes and so I'm looking for some games to play during the day as opposed to working

Ideally games should be no more than 15mins (20 at a push) and need 2-6 players. Easy to explain rules would be a bonus as most of the office aren't hardcore boardgames.

Ideas so far are Hanabi and saboteur both of which are a bit of a push time wise so other, better suggestions would be much appreciated!

Cheers,
Uttaku

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan K
United States
Canton
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No Thanks plays up to 5 and Love Letter plus up to 4. Not sure how strict you are on having six players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
uttaku -
msg tools
6 players definetly is not a set in stone requirement, anything more than 2 works to be perfectly honest.
Thanks for the recommendation, I haven't heard of No Thanks before so will look that up, I do own Love Letter, but wasn't sure if we could get it done in the time limit.

Cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dallas Tucker
Indonesia
Jakarta
flag msg tools
designer
(This space intentionally left blank.)
badge
What is the good life?
mbmbmbmbmb
For 2-3 players, Yavalath.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
Coup might work well
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
uttaku -
msg tools
Yavalath looks interesting and definetly good shout on Coup, I've been looking for an excuse to buy that for a while now.
Keep them coming guys!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
McLean
Virginia
flag msg tools
For Sale (needs 4+ to be best)
Yardmaster Express
This Town Ain't Big Enough for the 2-4 of Us
Biblios (a little long maybe)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan James
United States
Commerce Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
Professor, isn't it time for your nap?
badge
YES, DAMMIT!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sushi Go! is a great game that can be played super quickly, and plays up to five.

For Sale is another quick one that's great for lunch time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Hihn
Germany
Walddorfhäslach
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Our new favorite filler type game is definitely Linko!. It's really easy to learn and teach but it offers exactly the right amount of depth and decision making for what kind of game it is. We have a blast everytime it hits the table.

Sushi Go! is also something you could take a look at.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron
United States
Matthews
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Move along nothing to see here. This is not the text you were looking for,
badge
I love scotch. Scotchy scotch scotch. Here it goes down, down into my belly.
mbmbmbmbmb
We have played Eight-Minute Empire over lunch several times, but it does not cover the top end of your player count.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugo Soares
Portugal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You may want to check Port Royal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
it's
Belgium
Antwerp
flag msg tools
badge
This means play black time!
mbmbmbmbmb
DrDuck wrote:
We have played Eight-Minute Empire over lunch several times, but it does not cover the top end of your player count.

I prefer Eight-Minute Empire: Legends over the basic game, but it's a 4 player game indeed.
We play King's Gold during lunch breaks (2-6p).
Also, Take 5! doesn't take as long as it says on the page, I thought?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
For 3-6 (best with 4+, goes upto 10p) ONUWW, takes 5-10 minutes per game depending on the players, number of players and the role composition used.

For 2, Star Realms.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Halsey
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm really happy with Machi Koro. I think it would fit your requirements for the most part. I don't think it plays more than 4 though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Thomson
Canada
Stittsville
Ontario
flag msg tools
This is the end; hold your breath and count to ten; feel the earth move and then; hear my heart burst again
badge
"We are not now that strength which in old days moved earth and heaven; that which we are, we are; one equal temper of heroic hearts, made weak by time and fate, but strong in will to strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield." - Tennyson
mbmbmbmbmb
uttaku wrote:
I do own Love Letter, but wasn't sure if we could get it done in the time limit.

You could just play to 2 or 3 tokens of affection.

+1 for Machi Koro.

And check out Pizza Theory for 2-3 players (better with 3).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
TWrecks wrote:
I'm really happy with Machi Koro. I think it would fit your requirements for the most part. I don't think it plays more than 4 though.
no way you'll get through Machi Koro in 15. 30 maybe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
it's
Belgium
Antwerp
flag msg tools
badge
This means play black time!
mbmbmbmbmb
TWrecks wrote:

I should try this one.
Don't like the looks of it, that effects me a lot I'm afraid...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Garnica
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Haggis (2-3)
Diamonds )2-6)
One Night Ultimate Werewolf (3-10)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Etherton
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Coup and +1 for One Night Ultimate Werewolf. The learning curve on the latter is a little bit harder (IMO) but the play time is more consistent since it's driven by a timer.

-Dave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Debien
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Planning on playing a couple games of Patchwork today during lunch. Playtime is roughly 15 minutes for that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For 2-4: Hey, That's My Fish!

Awesome cutthroat action. Easy to fit two plays into a half hour.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Roy
United Kingdom
Bath
GB
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SET may be perfect. As much as I love some of the above games I wouldn't recommend them for your needs.

Set plays 1-20 players (ish). Ideally, there's no necessity to play to the end like a game of no thanks or for sale, because in Set you score as you go along and the gameplay doesn't change. It ends when the deck ends, but players could easily drop in or out! In fact, I've had a lot of players unfamiliar with Set ask how it works when they see it being played in a pub or hostel or such-like. You could even play it solo and interested coworkers may join or watch you make your own sets!

I find it a fun pattern-matching game, and it can be played from quite competitively to cooperatively!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Green
United States
North Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lost Legacy: The Starship! Combine that with Lost Legacy: Flying Garden and it will even go up to 6 players. Seriously sounds perfect for what you're looking for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kmancheese wrote:
Lost Legacy: The Starship! Combine that with Lost Legacy: Flying Garden and it will even go up to 6 players. Seriously sounds perfect for what you're looking for.
Each set works well independently but I found it awful when combined. the end is, by design, so random but with the combined cards it can take so so long to get there for what the play value is. Just too much for no worthwhile ending.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I always start new people with card games. That gives you near endless games to try and is fermilure to everyone. Most card games are also short enough for lunch and the longer ones can easily be stopped and picked up the next day.

Paper printed abstract games also work well for a lunch break if you like those, usually just 2-player though.

I think it comes down to the attitude of who's there, you don't want a game that shuns a non-gamer but maybe your office just isn't like that. Chances are most euro games wont fit.

My relative had his office buddies playing Diplomacy. One turn a week, a game lasted months. Sounds crazy but that's just the type of game it is, not complicated its just everyone has to talk one on one to everyone then 10 mins of everyone doing what they decided and seeing what happens. Worked great for him but I would never be able to make it work.

specific games I'd sujest checking out:
Scattergories -quick, simple, diverse workforce friendly, also serves well to having a long term scoring for the more competitive
King of Tokyo -yahtzee but way more fun and with a silly theme, also very quick

hope that helps!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.