United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Much like how some folks strive to play the games they want to and avoid the ones they don't like, to me, expansions can factor in BIG here. Yet, I'm often left with no choice here. Does it seem worse to push expansions on folks vs. games they may not want to play?

In some cases, I don't feel bad... Adding 1910 to Ticket To Ride doesn't really make that much more complex. Nor do I feel bad about adding the expansion to San Juan (it's still easier to teach than Race For The Galaxy base game). Other times, if it's something like 7 Wonders, I'm tired of the base game, and have weigh sitting out and being awkward, or sucking it up (if I need to go, or there are other groups, I have sat out)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kerstin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think "pushing stuff on people" may it be game or wanted expansion is something I would avoid and would often also not work if people simply don't want it, but it never hurts asking.

"Hey, if you're planing to play 7 Wonders would you mind adding the expansion? If we could add it in, I would like to join, otherwise I'd rather sit out" is not pushing anything on anyone, but if they like the game I can't see why they would not maybe at least wanna try it out?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris SC

Madison
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It goes the other way too. I've sat out of games because they WERE playing the expansions (back in the day for 7 Wonders) and I didn't feel like trying to learn all of the new symbols.

In your case, I'd say to suggest the expansion but fully expect they'll say no. Perhaps they'll compromise and add one in now and then until they feel more comfortable with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.