18 Posts

Star Wars: Imperial Assault» Forums » Rules

Subject: 2 agenda side missions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Mccabe
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So my group had just played a side mission. Afterwords i spent some influence i had been saving and bought an agenda side mission. Great!

The next mission is a Story Mission, so i set aside the agenda side mission.

After the Story Mission i spent some more influence i had and bought another agenda side mission. Great!

So am i to understand that the next time those dirty Rebels choose a side mission, they will draw two regular side missions, and also be presented with my two agenda side missions giving them a total of 4 side missions to choose from?

If so, this is awesome! Because they're pretty much being forced to gift me one of the agenda rewards since they can't choose both, right??

Spoiler (click to reveal)
I cant imagine they would skip both agenda missions... especially considering one of them gives me vader as an ally!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
The rebels will draw one side mission to replace the one they just played. I think rebels always have 2 side missions to choose from, and there should be minimum of 3 active missions before starting a mission (the next story mission and 2 side missions).

Yes, if they have two agenda missions, they can only select one, and the wording on the agenda side mission card does not make difference between normal and agenda side missions. So, you'll get the reward of the other automatically.

Unless the Rebels are sweeping the floor with you, I consider this a questionable move on the IP's part, but my mind may change if I lose the campaign.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Seidler
Germany
Cologne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's a brilliant move!

Pasi, it's them or you! Or do you believe in the next mission they will think twice before they shoot your beautiful stormtroopers?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In fact this "springing two agenda side missions on them" was on my mind last night (late, my sleep rhythm is off). But I don't seem to be able to draw any missions, forced or otherwise in my upgrade step, so it has been moot, just some crap one-off 1-influence cards. shake

I think I'll let the rebels shuffle the agenda deck the next time... Maybe that will provide some dark side of the force.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Mccabe
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
a1bert wrote:
The rebels will draw one side mission to replace the one they just played. I think rebels always have 2 side missions to choose from, and there should be minimum of 3 active missions before starting a mission (the next story mission and 2 side missions).

Yes, if they have two agenda missions, they can only select one, and the wording on the agenda side mission card does not make difference between normal and agenda side missions. So, you'll get the reward of the other automatically.

Unless the Rebels are sweeping the floor with you, I consider this a questionable move on the IP's part, but my mind may change if I lose the campaign.

Ha! Just out of curiousity why do you think it is a questionable move on the IP's behalf? just unfair?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It feels cruel. Of course it depends on the players of the group.. On the other hand, I'm getting more cruel the more missions I lose. angry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you do this? Save Agenda Side Missions for later? I thought when the Imp bought a Side Mission, it had to go into play immediately.

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just double checked, you can't do this:

Quote:
Side Mission: Some Agenda cards are played as side missions.
After purchasing one of these cards, place it faceup on the
table; it is now an active side mission. This Agenda card is kept
with the active missions between sessions. Discard the card
after the mission is resolved.

page 4 of Rules Reference Guide

So once you purchase an Agenda Side Mission, it goes face up on the table and is one of the active side missions.

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe I have misunderstood what "active missions" are.. As far as I have understood, you always have 3 or more active missions that you choose the next mission from according to the order in the campaign sheet.

The issue is, can you select an active side mission over an active story mission and skip a slot on the campaign sheet?

You can't save the agenda side missions for later, but you can 1) buy two at once, forcing a selection of one over the other, or 2) story mission slot prevents rebels from selecting a side mission, and you can thus buy another agenda side mission.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard A. Edwards
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow! I hadn't thought of this. Vicious!

Imperial Upgrade Stage allows you to purchase as many of the 4 drawn Agenda cards as you wish.

The Agenda Side Mission cards cost 3 Influence each, so you'd have to draw both and pay 6 to add two in one turn. Unlikely but possible.

If you add one Agenda Side Mission into the Active Mission pool, then the next mission is a story mission, then in the Imperial Upgrade Stage you draw and buy another Agenda Side mission, then in the next campaign stage when the Rebels must choose a side mission there would indeed be two Agenda Side Missions to choose from and one would automatically trigger its reward.

Vicious!

But it does require a lot of Influence and just the right drawn cards at the right time which has never happened to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
a1bert wrote:
Maybe I have misunderstood what "active missions" are..

The issue is, can you select an active side mission over an active story mission and skip a slot on the campaign sheet?

No, Active Missions are the face up mission cards. This will be 2 from the Rebel Side Mission deck and possibly 1 from an Agenda card, and 1 Story Mission. Currently all Agenda Side Missions have the caveat that if this mission isn't done next, the Imp gains XYZ reward. So normally there will be only 1 Imp side mission (since as soon as you buy it, it is played face up as an active mission card).

As far as selecting missions, the Campaign Log dictates which type of mission you play next. If it says Story Mission, then the Side missions are ignored for now. If it says Side Mission, the Rebels choose which one to play, from the set of active cards.

I suppose there is a way to have more than one Imp side mission. The Imp could save up a lot of Influence, then purchase 2 at one time, so they would both be active missions. But normally, there's only one since if the rebels don't do that one next Side Mission slot in the campaign, then the Imp gains the reward and the side mission goes away.

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SirRoke wrote:
But it does require a lot of Influence and just the right drawn cards at the right time which has never happened to me.

Thinking about this a little more, it's actually very likely in the following cases:

- Imp wins a Side mission, gains 3 Influence.
- During upgrade, buys a Side Mission Agenda.
- Next mission is a Story Mission
- Imp wins, gaining 3 Influence.
- Upgrade stage, Imp buys another Side Mission Agenda.

Now, there would be two side missions, without even having to save Influence.

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
Currently all Agenda Side Missions have the caveat that if this mission isn't done next, the Imp gains XYZ reward.

To be more exact "if this mission isn't done as the next side mission". Story missions do not trigger that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
a1bert wrote:
shnar wrote:
Currently all Agenda Side Missions have the caveat that if this mission isn't done next, the Imp gains XYZ reward.

To be more exact "if this mission isn't done as the next side mission". Story missions do not trigger that.

Correct, sorry for not including that. The card specifies that as well.

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesper Bøje
Denmark
Horsens
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
SirRoke wrote:

Thinking about this a little more, it's actually very likely in the following cases:

-shnar

I think this is waht everone have been talking about ;o)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, when the OP said, "Set aside" the agenda side mission, I thought he meant he purchased it but didn't reveal it, waiting until he purchased another mission later...

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Mccabe
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:

-shnar

This is nearly exactly what happened. Sorry for the poor wording on the original post!

On the 4th mission of the campaign (which is a side mission) i bought the first side mission agenda. The next mission was a story mission, so the rebels choosing the side mission agenda was not an option (this is what i meant when i said "set it aside"). After (winning) the story mission, i purchased the second side mission agenda. Next time we play the rebels will have to choose between the 2 regular side missions and the 2 agenda side missions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ozhan Sen
Japan
Itabashi-ku
Tokyo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sirstevie3 wrote:

So am i to understand that the next time those dirty Rebels choose a side mission, they will draw two regular side missions, and also be presented with my two agenda side missions giving them a total of 4 side missions to choose from?

Star Wars - Imperial Assault - Rules Reference page 17 says:

"After the introductory mission is resolved, shuffle the Side Mission deck, draw two cards, and place these cards faceup on the table. After each non-agenda side mission is resolved, shuffle the side Mission deck, draw one card, and place this card faceup on the table."

So Rebels draw 2 Side Mission cards ONLY ONCE in a campaign. These two stay on the table alongside the currently active Story Mission. When they complete one of those Side Missions, they draw a new one as a replacement. The one that they did not chose does not get shuffled back. Neither they get shuffled when they do a Story Mission, Forced Mission or an Agenda based Side Mission.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.