Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Walker
United States
Chuluota
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Interesting that they say "very soon". I know this may just be marketing speak, but I was thinking we would see this in the 2nd half of the year. Maybe they will get this out sooner so that we are ready for Pandemic Legacy in the Fall

2) It is impossible to know based on what we have seen so far, but I wonder if this will be a "small box" expansion. The first challenge appears pretty minimal component-wise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taylor Kitto
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
mb
wwalker98 wrote:
1)

2) It is impossible to know based on what we have seen so far, but I wonder if this will be a "small box" expansion. The first challenge appears pretty minimal component-wise.

definitely not a small expansion. they have the component list on their website. there's more stuff than in OTB and ITL combined. I copied and pasted it from there.

5 Role cards

5 Pawns

7 Event cards

6 Quarantine markers

2 Hinterlands boards

18 transparent disks

1 Hinterlands die

10 Emergency Event cards

4 Reference cards

4 Vaccine factories

24 Vaccine Doses

2 Superbug Infection cards

8 Superbug Bonus cards

1 revised Role card (Superbug version)

24 purple disease cubes

1 cure marker

1 cure indicator / cure indicator card
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Walker
United States
Chuluota
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
taylor20k wrote:
wwalker98 wrote:
1)

definitely not a small expansion. they have the component list on their website. there's more stuff than in OTB and ITL combined. I copied and pasted it from there.

Nice.

Hmmm. Purple cubes. Is this a straight add-on to the base game or is there some other reason we need more purple cubes and a cure marker?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taylor Kitto
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
mb
I'm really curious which role got a revision. I wonder if it's the medic. since his ability will be useless against the superbug. (you can't treat it until a cure is found and even then you don't use treat disease actions to take it off the board.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn George
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Open your eyes...
mbmbmbmbmb
wwalker98 wrote:
The first challenge appears pretty minimal component-wise.

On the Brink only had a handful of cards for the Virulent Strain challenge as well. In the Lab only had a single card for the solo challenge. The other two modules in those expansions still came with a ton of components, not to mention the new roles and event cards we've been seeing in every expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
wwalker98 wrote:
Purple cubes. Is this a straight add-on to the base game?

Correct. State of Emergency can be played with just the base game. It is compatible with both On the Brink and In the Lab, but doesn't require them. Hence, the duplicate purple cubes, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taylor Kitto
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
mb
Hey Tom =) Is the facebook reveal going to be a once a week thing or will we get a reveal for the next few days/months? You guys are awesome. Pandemic was my gateway game into the world of board games.

Edit: excited for the 24 new purple cubes. The different tints of purple kind of bothered me between the OTB and ITL cubes. Will be nice to replace them all with the same color. Although, it did have the advantage of making it easy to remove 12 of them when not using worldwide panic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
I don't handle the publicity, but I would expect maybe weekly or bi-weekly teasers at this point. The release is more than a month away (but not half-a-year away), so I wouldn't expect daily teasers for a while.

I've written a draft of my BGG Designer Preview, but haven't finished it yet, if that helps give you a sense of where things are... ;-)

No, I can't give out the planned release date. A) It's not my place to do so and B) there's enough uncertainty around shipping so that a definite release date can't be announced at this point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Goulding
United Kingdom
Nottingham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Must say Pandemic is one of my absolute favourites and this will definitely be on my list. That "CDC Flights Grounded" card is absolutely brutal. Can't wait to see what the other challenges have in store.

I love the modularity of Pandemic, I consider it one of the game's strong points.

I wonder whether these kind of Events cards have been inspired a bit by Pandemic: Contagion? The Event cards in Contagion both help and hinder the players, after seeing that I really noticed how Pandemic didn't have any events that hindered the players. In a world falling apart while disease runs rampant, it seems so obvious now that some unpredictable events with negative consequences should be happening!

Also, well done Tom and the rest of the Pandemic family to holding off on a "zombie virus" expansion/challenge! Quite happy to just deal with regular disease!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Goulding
United Kingdom
Nottingham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also I hope the Flights Grounded event won't apply to the Pilot!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Zveroboy wrote:
I wonder whether these kind of Events cards have been inspired a bit by Pandemic: Contagion?

Nope. We designed, tested, and turned in State of Emergency before we ever saw a copy of Contagion.

The Emergency Events concept existed years ago, back when we did On the Brink. Originally, the Mutation Events and a few Emergency Event effects were combined. Matt separated them and removed the Emergency Events to keep On the Brink very clean. I then redid and expanded them as a possible promo at one point. We considered them for In the Lab before deciding that State of Emergency was a better "home" for them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will

Pensacola
Florida
msg tools
The Babylon Project was our last best hope for peace. It failed. In the year of the Shadow War, it became something greater, our last best hope for victory.
mbmbmbmbmb
I would actually rather have some other color for the additional disease. That way, with a few tweaks, it could be played with all 6.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Kamber
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Broadstorm wrote:
I would actually rather have some other color for the additional disease. That way, with a few tweaks, it could be played with all 6.

The same thing was discussed in the compatibility thread. Tom Lehmann gave a pretty good (IMO) explanation for why they did not do so:

Tom Lehmann wrote:
eldaec wrote:
Seems odd that you'd make the superbug purple, if that is what is meant.

We considered making it a different color and rejected this idea.

Having the Superbug disease be purple allows it to be easily combined with either ITL's lab challenge or Team Game. It avoids issues with components (such as the lab board and sequence cards or the Team Game reward markers) that depict purple cubes and vials, but not a 6th color.

It also avoids having to add a bunch of extra rules to the Mutation challenges redefining the victory conditions and detailing how drawing successive Mutation and Superbug cards would work.

The benefits just didn't seem worth the hassles of these incompatibilities and additional rules.

You're, of course, welcome to play whatever variant you want, borrowing cubes of a different color and playing with 6 (or 7 or 8) diseases as you wish.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I bet he's lots of fun at parties.
United States
flag msg tools
I spent 200 GeekGold...
badge
...and all I got was this lousy overtext.
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, that is a lot of components. Can't wait to try them out, I had no idea we'd be getting new boards and components - I would have been happy with just the new roles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Rob
United States
Belpre
Ohio
flag msg tools
Games need more Orange!
badge
I'm bigger than you, no, really, I probably am...
mbmbmbmbmb
Any info on the box itself? Will it hold all of the game and expansions? Is there any plan for just a Pandemic box of holding?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
joekeck
United States
jackson
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
taylor20k wrote:
I'm really curious which role got a revision. I wonder if it's the medic. since his ability will be useless against the superbug. (you can't treat it until a cure is found and even then you don't use treat disease actions to take it off the board.)

I agree that this seems most likely.
however, if this is indeed the case, then surely they should also revise the Field Director for similar reasons.

(unless the definition of "Treat Disease" is different for the superbug, then all bets are off. Maybe with the SB, Treat Disease = administer vaccine.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I bet he's lots of fun at parties.
United States
flag msg tools
I spent 200 GeekGold...
badge
...and all I got was this lousy overtext.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hinterlands challenge looks interesting...

Glad this expansion is only a month out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taylor Kitto
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
mb
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hj0GafK1YK8

I totally called it. The medic got revised. Love the vaccine doses. I looked up oral vaccines and turns out there's vaccines in pill form so it's still thematic. I was totally expecting tiny little syringes, but the pills look cool and they'll probably hold up better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Goulding
United Kingdom
Nottingham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
taylor20k wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hj0GafK1YK8

I totally called it. The medic got revised. Love the vaccine doses. I looked up oral vaccines and turns out there's vaccines in pill form so it's still thematic. I was totally expecting tiny little syringes, but the pills look cool and they'll probably hold up better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will

Pensacola
Florida
msg tools
The Babylon Project was our last best hope for peace. It failed. In the year of the Shadow War, it became something greater, our last best hope for victory.
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems that the Researcher's special ability will be less significant in the Hinterlands challenge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Yes, while the Operation Expert and Dispatcher are more useful in that challenge. Re-evaluating things and devising new tactics is part of the fun of exploring a new challenge...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will

Pensacola
Florida
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tom Lehmann wrote:
Yes, while the Operation Expert and Dispatcher are more useful in that challenge. Re-evaluating things and devising new tactics is part of the fun of exploring a new challenge...

I am already on it! Actually, the Gene Splicer more obviously could replace the Scientist, but could also more subtly replace the Operations Expert. If she has 2/1/1/1 color city cards, then she can build a research station and develop a cure. This is a good way to get transit points & cures in a 2 for 1 deal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wondering how the Gene Splicer works with the lab?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.