Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
51 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Decline in Movie Box Office correlated to the rise/popularity of board games? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bobby Picker
United States
Edwardsville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HYPOTHESIS - Does the rise of board game sales correlate to the continuing decline of movie box office ticket sales. US/CANADA Ticket sales have been flat to declining significantly for the past several years. http://www.the-numbers.com/market/

Taking a family of 4 to the movies will easily cost $40-50 (not including refreshments) for 2 hours of "entertainment". For the same price or less a family can get a Top Ranked board game title and have multiple hours of family fun.

I was just wondering if anyone has any correlation data. I know there must be some economic trade-offs driving the rapid growth of board games..... I know that there are many other factors that are hurting movie ticket sales (ghastly ticket pricing/online purchases, video games, etc.); however, is the board game industry reaping some of the movie industry decline in US/Canada.

A little coffee talk experiment......discuss...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mav
United Kingdom
Wellingborough
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you are looking at correlation rather than causation
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The impact of the movie industry and boardgaming hobby on each other is insignificant.

If there might be any correlation -- and it would probably be slight -- it would be between the movie ticket sales and video game play. But we also cannot dismiss other non-game activities, or economies in general -- though that last part can be tricky since US movie attendance during the Great Depression was quite high.

It is probably multiple influences (and let's not rule out poor Hollywood products), and I'm sure Hollywood has been studying the data to death trying to find a solution.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thom0909
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the decline in movie ticket sales is more related to the increase in Netflix, Hulu, etc.

ADD: it looks like the recent decline in film ticket revenues was about $800 million a year. The increase in board game sales isn't close to that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Prop Joe wrote:
I think the decline in movie ticket sales is more related to the increase in Netflix, Hulu, etc.
Yes, and an increase in home theater installations. I know a half dozen people with giant theater screens and seating in their homes. That wasn't true 10 years ago.

Pete (avoids theaters these days because he has to be more germ-conscious and theaters are disease pits)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Prop Joe wrote:

That could be a factor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thom0909
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
plezercruz wrote:
Prop Joe wrote:
Yes, and an increase in home theater installations. I know a half dozen people with giant theater screens and seating in their homes. That wasn't true 10 years ago.

Pete (avoids theaters these days because he has to be more germ-conscious and theaters are disease pits)

Given how empty movie theaters are whenever I go, I'm not sure there's much risk of catching someone else's germs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Etkin
United States
Gloversville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
biddi biddi biddi
mbmbmbmbmb
Vandal2002 wrote:
HYPOTHESIS - Does the rise of board game sales correlate to the continuing decline of movie box office ticket sales. US/CANADA Ticket sales have been flat to declining significantly for the past several years. http://www.the-numbers.com/market/

Taking a family of 4 to the movies will easily cost $40-50 (not including refreshments) for 2 hours of "entertainment". For the same price or less a family can get a Top Ranked board game title and have multiple hours of family fun.

I was just wondering if anyone has any correlation data. I know there must be some economic trade-offs driving the rapid growth of board games..... I know that there are many other factors that are hurting movie ticket sales (ghastly ticket pricing/online purchases, video games, etc.); however, is the board game industry reaping some of the movie industry decline in US/Canada.

A little coffee talk experiment......discuss...

The following have far more to do with declining BO sales:

Higher ticket prices
Higher ticket prices
Higher ticket prices
Closing gap between theatrical and home viewing release
Increasing quality and declining price of home theater equipment (specifically TVs)
Higher ticket prices

Also - possibly - decreasing movie variety and quality leading to audience malaise and erosion of the "movie" as a socially bonding, "must see" event.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
South Lyon
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
plezercruz wrote:
Prop Joe wrote:

This is the biggest factor for us. Unless we go to the "True IMAX" theater, we don't bother to go at all. The last movie we went to see at the theater before Intersteller was The Hobbit (Part 1).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Theaters compared far more favorably to these:

Pete (isn't that old, but remembers his grandmother's TV)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cornixt
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm... it also correlates with the decrease in home phones and the rise of people claiming to have celiac disease.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wilson
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
mav___ wrote:
I think you are looking at correlation rather than causation

Beat me to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy Basi
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Board games are gluten free ... hmm.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CJ
United Kingdom
Colchester
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I was under the impression that cinema audiences were increasing worldwide...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Etkin
United States
Gloversville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
biddi biddi biddi
mbmbmbmbmb
elgin_j wrote:
I was under the impression that cinema audiences were increasing worldwide...

I believe worldwide, yes, however the domestic (USA) component of ticket sales (not revenue) is sliding.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Much easier to eat buttery popcorn and drink sodas while watching a movie.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy Basi
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unless you sleeve ...devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry L
United States
Stockton
California
flag msg tools
He who games with the most dice wins.
badge
I + I = 0
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to believe there is a cause and effect relationship:

"Ugh, no good movies, plus too expensive. Let's stay home and watch Netflix."

Months later: "Ugh, no good movies on Netflix, plus too boring. Anyone want to play a game?"

But I suspect not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
15 Keys
United States
Living in the Delco
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
plezercruz wrote:

Wow, I had almost exactly like that for years. No, I'm not 80, but I bought it in the mid 90s from a grad student for $50, and it lasted until until about 2006. It wasn't a great picture, we had to plug it into the stereo to get a halfway decent sound (oh, the connectors to get THAT going), and for most of the time I had it you had to unplug it to turn it off.

Man, it seems that Board game didn't really start to rise in popularity until my old TV died. Makes you wonder.....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fifteenkeys wrote:
plezercruz wrote:

Wow, I had almost exactly like that for years. No, I'm not 80, but I bought it in the mid 90s from a grad student for $50, and it lasted until until about 2006. It wasn't a great picture, we had to plug it into the stereo to get a halfway decent sound (oh, the connectors to get THAT going), and for most of the time I had it you had to unplug it to turn it off.

Man, it seems that Board game didn't really start to rise in popularity until my old TV died. Makes you wonder.....

Looks to me like '60s vintage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
Two things:

2. Spurious Correlations
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
I came here to post http://www.tylervigen.com/ but Isaäc Bickërstaff beat me to it, the jerk.

Also I'll mention that I recently took a family of three to the movies and spent nearly $200. This was one of the fancy theaters with a restaurant for dinner before the show, and then bar service at your seat. Tickets alone were $75.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Beachler
United States
Woodburn
OR
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Didn't The Avengers take in like a bazillion dollars? I don't see movies having a problem doing well... as long as they aren't crap that is. Most movies are utter crap, Hollywood churns them out like rabbits procreating. 20-30 years ago there weren't a half dozen new releases in the theaters each week like there is now. One big movie might have come out every couple weeks and they stayed in the theater for months instead of a few weeks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Pressley
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
plezercruz wrote:

Nice! I grew up with a very similar tv in the late seventies and through the eighties. That thing was a tank, but with a tiny screen in comparison to what you can get today.

I also wonder if the rise of the television show as a 'serious' medium contributes to less interest in going to the movies. Given the dreck usually playing at the theatre, I'll take an episode of Game of Thrones or Downton Abbey any night.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They are both trends based on a near endless list of social and economic factors. They may not be directly connected but similar thoughts impact them both.
most common and simple would be how much dollar per hour-entertainment you get from games/movies/anything

a thought on theaters:
it's becoming a dated over-priced medium of entertainment. When a home theater can match a cinema in quality (which I'd say happened definitively about 5 years ago for the WI middle class) they lost their market. I am happy to see some companies are getting out of their rut. Marcus theaters have been upgrading and adding more deals, everyone gets VERY nice recliners and tickets are $5 and free popcorn if you go on a tuesday and reserve tickets online.

a thought on games:
They simply have the best dollar per hour-fun for people like us.
I've been thinking its backlash of the internet and other instant gratification advancements. We now have to have more of a reason to sit around a table and talk to people. We can get so much interaction with others through the internet we need to add games to just hang out vs years ago clubs and groups didn't have to compete with the internet.

this convo can go on forever, so I should stop myself there and see what others continue with.

merry christmas!
yes its late but its still the first time I'm saying it to you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.