Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim Atwood
United States
Sweeny
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been trying to come up with a way to rate and log games for my group. I know that you can rate a game on this site but that is not what I am talking about. I want to make a physical form that we can fill out and keep in the game box or in a folder. The purpose of this is to figure out what kinds of games we like as a group. We are new to the board game hobby and I can't afford to randomly buy games without knowing if anyone will enjoy playing. I an considering categories that are both objective (fact based) like how long it takes to play, how many players, what type of mechanics etc., and subjective (opinion based) like was it fun, was it engaging, did you like the theme. I would love to have some opinions on what information we should consider in our form. I would also like to include a rating scale of 1-100 so we can fine tune our opinions. I will post what I have come up with after input for the community. If something like this already exists please point me in the right direction.
Thanks For The Assistance!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
You could have everyone make an account on BGG and then add each other as "geekbuddies". I think Geekbuddy Analysis would do what you want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario Lanza
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about a log sheet with these columns:

Date:
Player Name:
Love:
Like:
Lump:
Pluses: e.g. What did you like about the game? good player interaction, tense till the end
Minuses: e.g. What did you not like about the game? too long, to abstract, too long between turns

Having the rating as 3 separate columns (Love, Like, Lump) would make it easy to scan down and get an overall impression.

I would guess that numerically rated categories are harder to get right and use properly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
dkearns wrote:
You could have everyone make an account on BGG and then add each other as "geekbuddies". I think Geekbuddy Analysis would do what you want.

Or a guild lets you browse the collections of the guild members.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
Life's too short for stuff like this. Just talk a bit what you like, what interests you etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Atwood
United States
Sweeny
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That is not helpful if you are uninterested feel free not to participate
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galen Brownsmith
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheRocketSurgeon wrote:
Life's too short for stuff like this. Just talk a bit what you like, what interests you etc.

That isn't always useful. If you're new to the hobby, even if you can come up with mechanics or themes everyone likes, it doesn't mean you will know other games in the same vein. If you have limited exposure to Board Games, you may not be able to express what you like about one game clearly enough.

Heck, trying to decide what 2 games to play with 7 people in the room is almost never a simple task, even when they share similar preferences.

This sounds exactly like what a good suggestion engine can be used for, and is a good sue of geekbuddies and guilds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
marphod wrote:
TheRocketSurgeon wrote:

That isn't always useful. If you're new to the hobby, even if you can come up with mechanics or themes everyone likes, it doesn't mean you will know other games in the same vein. If you have limited exposure to Board Games, you may not be able to express what you like about one game clearly enough.
No, sure, but mathing out things you can't actually quantify seldom gives good results, and trying to do it for a group takes you even further away from useful more often than not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.