Popular Tags: [View All]
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
What should Nigeria do about Boko Haram?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Parsons
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We should, definitely, not let those terrorists into our country.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
jmilum wrote:

Deport them all of course. I guess to your house?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's probably important to point out that the main ethnic group in that region is 95% Muslim. So, again we have Muslim militants fighting and killing Muslims. Doesn't seem like a symptom of Islam, if that is what is trying to be implied. It seems more like revolutionaries who want their particular interpretation of Islam in control.

Not justifying their actions by any means, because they are barbaric criminals at this point, just putting it in the correct context so it isn't used to vilify all Muslims.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheChin! wrote:
I think it's probably important to point out that the main ethnic group in that region is 95% Muslim. So, again we have Muslim militants fighting and killing Muslims. Doesn't seem like a symptom of Islam, if that is what is trying to be implied. It seems more like revolutionaries who want their particular interpretation of Islam in control.

Not justifying their actions by any means, because they are barbaric criminals at this point, just putting it in the correct context so it isn't used to vilify all Muslims.

No no, people want easy answers. Like Rwanda. That was entirely easy to understand and had zero complexity. Right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Schaeffer
United States
Unspecified
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheChin! wrote:

Far more Muslim violence is directed against other Muslims than against non-Muslims. I suspect there is a sort of civil war going on within Islam, or even several distinct regional civil wars within Islam.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mbmbmbmbmb
Golux13 wrote:
TheChin! wrote:

Far more Muslim violence is directed against other Muslims than against non-Muslims. I suspect there is a sort of civil war going on within Islam, or even several distinct regional civil wars within Islam.

The factionalized Imam system keeps them at each other throats. It's a giant dick measuring contest and the measuring stick is the lives of the innocent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Schaeffer
United States
Unspecified
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rcbevco wrote:
Golux13 wrote:
TheChin! wrote:

The factionalized Imam system keeps them at each other throats. It's a giant dick measuring contest and the measuring stick is the lives of the innocent.

I don't know. I think a lot of it is more about political power than theological purity, although religion is obviously the backdrop and an important motivating factor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jmilum wrote:

do what France did and segregate them into their own society and keep out. It seemed to work for a few years in France.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing this thread, and a slow work day have done is let me do some real,digging into this conflict and man, is it dirty. No one's clean in it. That includes us. (Not an equivilency statement, just worth mentioning)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
And we're barely into 2015.

Nigeria's Baga town hit by new assault

Quote:
Bodies lay strewn on Baga's streets, amid fears that some 2,000 people had been killed in the raids, he added.

Thankfully this now appears to be high by an order of magnitude, although even one is too many.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James King
United States
North Central Louisiana / No Longer A Resident of the Shreveport/Bossier City Area
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Golux13 wrote:
TheChin! wrote:

I take exception to your term "Muslim violence" as it's much too general and broadsweeping, and because it is so, it's also deceptive as well.

So, please clarify: Are you talking about radical Muslim revolutionaries, splinter cells of ISIS or Al Qaeda, fundamentalist Muslim extremeists, or *who* exactly?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Watson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
jmilum wrote:

See if they can borrow their bank account to move the one million US dollars that they just need to get out of the country?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve K
United States
flag msg tools
TheChin! wrote:

Right. I think there's a fatwah against vilification.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Who
msg tools
mb
it's always funny when right wing conservanuts look out for the black folk

how fake is that bullshit???
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DrWhoWho wrote:

Yeah, because here in America the Democrats have been looking out for poor black folks and that has worked wonderfully !

Stay classy my white savior friends, stay classy !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James King
United States
North Central Louisiana / No Longer A Resident of the Shreveport/Bossier City Area
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

jeremycobert wrote:
DrWhoWho wrote:

Yeah, because here in America the Democrats have been looking out for poor black folks and that has worked wonderfully!

Ho-hum! It's the same ole song with you, huh?

Oh well, let's sing the second (or was it third?) verse!

As per Wikipedia: Late in his life, Byrd explicitly renounced his earlier views favoring racial segregation. Byrd said that he regretted filibustering and voting against the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and would change it if he had the opportunity.

(Notably, President George H.W. Bush has NEVER expressed any regrets whatsoever about his 1964 run for Congress when one the planks of his political platform was his opposition to the 1964 Civil Rights Act.)

Byrd said joining the KKK was "the greatest mistake I ever made." Byrd also said that his views changed dramatically after his teenage grandson was killed in a 1982 traffic accident, which put him in a deep emotional valley. "The death of my grandson caused me to stop and think," said Byrd, adding he came to realize that African-Americans love their children as much as he does his."

(Notably, President George H.W. Bush has NEVER expressed any regrets whatsoever about his requesting racist physicist William Shockley to speak on Capitol Hill in 1968 about measures to reduce the population of people of color.)

Byrd was the only senator to vote against both Thurgood Marshall and Clarence Thomas to the United States Supreme Court, the only two African-American nominees. In the former instance, Byrd asked FBI Director J. Edgar Hoover to look into what Byrd believed to be the possibility that Marshall had either connections to communists or had a communist past. In the latter instance, Byrd stated that he was offended by Thomas' use of the phrase "high-tech lynching of uppity blacks" in his defense and that he was "offended by the injection of racism" into the hearing. He called Thomas' comments a "diversionary tactic" and said "I thought we were past that stage."

Regarding Anita Hill's sexual harassment charges against Thomas, Byrd supported Hill. Byrd joined 45 other Democrats in voting against confirming Thomas to the Supreme Court.

For the 2003–2004 session, the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP) rated Byrd's voting record as being 100% in line with the NAACP's position on the 33 Senate bills they evaluated. Sixteen other senators received that rating. In June 2005, Byrd proposed an additional $10,000,000.00 in federal funding for the Martin Luther King, Jr. National Memorial in Washington, D.C., remarking that, "With the passage of time, we have come to learn that his Dream was the American Dream, and few ever expressed it more eloquently."

Oh, by the way, when did the Republican Party ever take such keen interest in Africa? I may have missed that one.

Oh wait! Now I remember: Many Tea Party Republicans have been involved in helping craft legislation with Ugandan legislators to criminalize homosexuality there.

jeremycobert wrote:
Stay classy my white savior friends, stay classy !

Stay gassy, O' Pexcavacating One!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.