Popular Tags: [View All]
Joshua Speelman
United States
Wolverine Lake
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had an item up on the geek marketplace and yesterday evening I got a notice that someone wanted to purchase it.

I noticed this morning that their account was created the same day. Should I be worried? I've traded no information with them other than my email address for paypal (which I've already changed the password for). I don't use the marketplace very often so I could just be acting overly cautious.

Edited to remove the user in questions ID. I was deemed mean by a few posters and that was not mu intention.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley M
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Greatest Game Ever
mbmbmbmbmb
I would just make sure they pay through paypal an that you document/keep receipts and tracking info that you mailed the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Schlickbernd
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Because PayPal is infamous for taking the buyer's word for stuff, you might want to send a short video of the games condition to the buyer as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Bishop
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have had a huge influx of New Users buying from me on the Marketplace lately (80%+ of sales)... and haven't yet had any issues. Keep decent documentation just in case, but don't worry too much would be my advice. And be sure to walk them through the process.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
^...^ ALIEN ^...^
United States
Mcqueeney
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have sold to quite a few new users without any problems. Just keep good records and follow Paypal guidelines.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I always ask for an email account where I can then email them the actual shipping costs before I confirm the sale on BGG. I always state that due to BGG guidelines, if I don't hear back from them confirming that they accept the shipping costs in 3 days the sale will automatically cancel. More times than not, the sale has gone through. Before I did this I had more times that they would not pay and then I had to go through the hassle of canceling the confirmed sale.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prisoner of Conscience
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Snowflakes Melt
badge
Snowflakes Melt
mbmbmbmbmb
Seththedog wrote:
I have sold to quite a few new users without any problems. Just keep good records and follow Paypal guidelines.

Over the Christmas holidays I had two different users with new accounts order something and take it off sale and then never respond. Others reported it here too. Glad to see some of you are managing to get sales done with them.

We were all new once of course.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Bailey-Jones
United Kingdom
Somerset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Everyone has to start somewhere
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
see

How to protect myself (Geek Marketplace, big order, new user, international)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
^...^ ALIEN ^...^
United States
Mcqueeney
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
klkitchens wrote:
Seththedog wrote:

Over the Christmas holidays I had two different users with new accounts order something and take it off sale and then never respond. Others reported it here too. Glad to see some of you are managing to get sales done with them.

We were all new once of course.

I remember the discussion. I had two sales like that, but I canceled them without ever confirming. Why? And how does that jive with what I said above? They were international sales and neither gave their full address. I guess I go with my gut on some of these "New user" sales and it seems to keep me out of trouble. At least, so far.whistle

Like you say, we were all new once, and I would rather believe people are generally more honest than not. If something seems off, I will contact them or just cancel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben R
United States
Henderson
Nevada
flag msg tools
Why play 'em when you can trade 'em?!?!
badge
And on the 8th day, God said "Let there be Math Trades"
mbmbmbmbmb
Pay the $3 for signature conformation, and Paypal will afford you seller protection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Lester
United States
SANTA MONICA
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On the international order, can't you just have the buyer pay extra for insurance? Is the worry that they'll lie about the condition of the item and PayPal will take their word for it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauly Paul
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's kinda mean you called out the new user in this thread. Everyone has to start someplace. Some people are content to lurk on BGG for a while until there is a specific reason to create an account. Buying a new game, could be that very reason.

I get your concerned but doesn't send a very good message about the BGG community as a whole to talk about someone like they aren't in the room (so to speak).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Schlickbernd
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
justinlca wrote:
On the international order, can't you just have the buyer pay extra for insurance? Is the worry that they'll lie about the condition of the item and PayPal will take their word for it?

The problem is that it'll get banged up in customs and not be the game you sent out. Particularly if customs opens the box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Parchman
United States
Henderson
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I purchased a game from the marketplace the same day I created my account. That was the reason to create my account in the first place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carol Carpenter
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Same here. I joined BGG just to buy a game and got sucked into this whole horrible website, with all its horrible people describing all their horrible games, which I need to visit every day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would certainly ask for their first born as a deposit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=::) Dante (::=-
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had the same experience and reaction being new to selling here myself so I asked Octavian about it and he explained that BGG gets legions of new registrations due to the Marketplace just like the horrible member two posts above. (Hi Carol!)

Yes, some will disappear who were just dipping their toes into the system and get cold feet seeing it's not like most online checkout systems or weren't seriously interested to begin with.

That said many are 100% earnest despite being horrible people (Hi Carol!) and this will be their first BGG experience so we should all do our best to treat them with the warm welcome such horrible people deserve. (Hi Carol!)

Orangemoose wrote:
I would certainly ask for their first born as a deposit.

Deposit? Isn't that just a standard part of the cost for anything you sell on here???
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hanada Spiel
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm new user as well. I just joined BGG recently, sometime last quarter of 2014. I believe many newbies "stumbled" upon BGG via Kickstarter. A lot of the games on BGG market is rather good deal as compare to what one can buy from local store or order from Amazon or Ebay. But, some probably not aware these are not new stuff, used and may have missing or dent/dishing. I've bought quite a few from BGG (mainly via auction). And I find that BGG sellers really, really take care of their games - all are very good condition.

But as many here have said, you better keep all the documentation, preferably video recordings. All deliveries must be trackable and require signature on the receiver end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy Basi
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I had my auction, someone other than the person who bought my item took my marketplace listing -- and that person had no address and was international. It did mess me up a bit, I had to cancel the sale and relist the item for the winning bidder. There was something hinky going on with that for a while, as reported. But that's the only problem I have ever had.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
betty bear
United States
Lockhart
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
venrondua wrote:
I think it's kinda mean you called out the new user in this thread. Everyone has to start someplace. Some people are content to lurk on BGG for a while until there is a specific reason to create an account. Buying a new game, could be that very reason.

I get your concerned but doesn't send a very good message about the BGG community as a whole to talk about someone like they aren't in the room (so to speak).

This

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
You could also ask they pay by money order or something that isn't so fishy, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Speelman
United States
Wolverine Lake
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
venrondua wrote:

My intention most certainly wasn't to be mean or call the guy out. I'm just not very experienced when it comes to selling things here and I wanted to be cautious. Wanted to make sure there wasn't some rash of people creating new accounts and scamming people or something like that. It sent my fishy alarms off that's all. After reading the replies I'm going to move forward but cover my bases. Newbies most definitely need a chance to start somewhere and I'm not gonna be the a-hole that puts on brakes for someone just trying to get started.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Norris
United States
IN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently sold a game though the marketplace to a new user and had no issues.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom C.
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had 2 in the last 6 months of last year that didn't go through. One never replied to repeated emails after I confirmed the sale, and the other didn't know there was any shipping cost (clearly stated on the entry). Both were new users. The second one at least sent a message acknowledging they didn't understand the purchase process, and I canceled it. Those were the first 2 I've run into.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.