Doug Ward
United States
Eagle Mountain
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've read here and there about how some of you handle character death and I'm sure there's probably a forum post someone could just direct me to but I'm sick with a head cold and having trouble searching for it.

So how do you handle character death and restarts in your game, if they even happen for you? Do you do a fast-forward giving them their feats but give them a basic deck? Do you require them to go through all the scenarios again to catch up?

What method have you found to keep death challenging but still fun?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Campbell
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules as written would suggest you give them no feats, but build them a new deck containing any cards a maximum of 2 adventure decks behind the current adventure. So if you're on Adventure 4, the new character can have their pick of B, C, 1, and 2 cards. It's not stated outright, but I assume they also receive a Role Card if you've gotten to that point in the story. You may then replay scenarios to start filling in feats.

Personally, I'd just roll up a new character (wouldn't feel right using the same one) using the rules above, without replaying scenarios for feats, and see how that feels. I assume that getting your choice of better cards helps more than people think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jed Roguski
United States
Dumfries
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The way we do it is that character doesn't get any of the benefits of completing that scenario, including having to purge any cards they received during play. I look at it as the party dragging the corpse back to town to have them brought back. The rules are pretty clear about what they intended to happen, but it's pretty miserable losing a character 5-6 adventures in. In the end find a way that works for your group. After all, what's the point of playing if you're not having fun

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ahearne
United States
Ayer
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I play primarily with my family, and we use something like ragudaddy's approach. If any character dies during a scenario, win or lose no one takes the rewards, we reset all decks to what they were before the scenario, and we try again.

At least, that's the plan. We're on scenario 3 of adventure 6 of RotR and no one in the six-character party has died.

This removes some of the tension, but we'd still hate to die, and have played to avoid it.

EDIT: Just realized this is the S&S forum. We haven't started S&S, but plan the same approach, especially with S&S's higher difficulty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Wilson
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
The game actually allows you to keep boons acquired in failed scenarios. Which is good so you will eventually get the loot you may need to do the scenario. We play this straight. As for dying...

New character, fill out progression rewards. Rebuild deck as per rules.

Going back and re-doing adventures worth of scenarios solo? Ain't nobody got time for that.

Seriously I don't,

I'm not doing it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Ward
United States
Eagle Mountain
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ryan,

Your approach is exactly what I'm doing in ours so far. I think the fact that you have to go back to all basic boons is punishment enough when you die.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cochran
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
ryanshowseason2 wrote:

That's what we decided as well. For the same reason. Having a death cost is important, but if it's a cost that means you will probably STOP playing the game if you pay it, it's probably not the best cost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Wilson
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
gryphon410 wrote:
Ryan,

Your approach is exactly what I'm doing in ours so far. I think the fact that you have to go back to all basic boons is punishment enough when you die.

Remember you can get anything from an adventure pack 2 below the current one too!

Not just basic boons. I'm unsure if this rule was intended or should apply to loot though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Wilson
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
jsciv wrote:
ryanshowseason2 wrote:

That's what we decided as well. For the same reason. Having a death cost is important, but if it's a cost that means you will probably STOP playing the game if you pay it, it's probably not the best cost.

Yah it seriously doesn't make much sense to me, trying to tackle AP6 death zone in ROTR with no feats meaning less cards than everyone else was a death sentence.

Just
not
fun.

I'm wondering if they expected people to house rule this, but I wonder how that is for organized play? I would just stop coming to organized play if I was 5 adventures in and then would just be doomed to auto-die every scenario thereafter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Ward
United States
Eagle Mountain
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was reading about Organized play today and Death seemed a bit different.

Quote:
"The standard rules about dying generally apply, but when you start your new character, use the Build Your Character rules above. Don't forget to register the new character at paizo.com/pathfindersociety!

If your character is dead at the end of a scenario, your character does not gain the scenario reward, even if the rest of the party does, but you are allowed to upgrade your new character deck (see Upgrading Your Deck). Build your new character before the party begins upgrading.

When your character dies but your party wins the scenario, the party may use the cards you gained during the scenario when they advance their characters, but they may not use any cards from your class deck."

Straight from the Guide to Pathfinder Society Adventure Card Guild Organized Play PDF.

So, doesn't seem AS bad as in the home version of the game. I can't believe they ever intended for you to take a character back through all the scenarios again to get their feats back and stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Lima
Brazil
Sorocaba
SP
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ryanshowseason2 wrote:
The game actually allows you to keep boons acquired in failed scenarios. Which is good so you will eventually get the loot you may need to do the scenario. We play this straight. As for dying...

Going back and re-doing adventures worth of scenarios solo? Ain't nobody got time for that.

Seriously I don't,

I'm not doing it.

I did it once, from B1S1 to AD1S3, because we weren't too far when my char died. Solo play is quite fast actually, I only spent 2 nights to catch up. The reward was good (3-4 good cards, 2-3 feats IIRC), as was learning how to play the character properly, but if we were further ahead on the adventure I'm not sure I'd do it again: 5 scenarios just for a feat is too much of a grind.

Your rules for dying sound reasonable—but I hope I never have to use them (:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Chambers
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't give my new character the rewards for previous adventures, but did let them just step right into the dead character's spot in the story. Having said that, it was pretty early on (AD1), so obviously wouldn't work well later on.

I think if my party lost a player as far on as they are now (AD4), I'd just move on with the remaining members. If I was in group play, I think I'd let the player level up a new character as if they'd done all the adventures to date. Anything else seems like an un-fun waste of time to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.