Subject: Finally A Win For Lannister! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim Patching
United Kingdom
Newport, Wales
flag msg tools
badge
If you notice this notice you wil notice that this notice was not worth noticing
mbmbmbmbmb
We've been playing A Game Of Thrones for a good couple of years now and one thing we've noticed (along with most other people it seems) is that House Lannister is very much the sick man of Westeros. We always randomly pick which house we play but somehow I always end up getting lumbered with Lannister. I say 'lumbered' but over-time I've grown rather fond of useless old Lannister. Actually winning a game seemed a bit too ambitious a task for this house so I contented myself with simply seeing how long I could make them survive until they were either wiped out or reduced to a single space and allowed to survive on their enclave like a rare and endangered species.

Last weekend the unthinkable happened and I actually managed to win a game with Lannister! I must confess to indulging in a small victory dance whilst dodging the flying pigs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Holzgrafe
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"the understandably frightening and chimeric semicolon" -- HiveGod
mbmbmbmbmb
panzer-attack wrote:
over-time I've grown rather fond of useless old Lannister.

Me too (hence my avatar). Congratulations -- it's good to know that there's some hope!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Murray
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mb
I played my first Game of Thrones game the other day... my first question to my host was "Can I be red?" (my favorite color). He gently suggested I play another house. After the game started, I got to see what a bullet I ended up dodging! The Lannister player, towards the end of the game, begged for the "Support Allies" tactic (nobody was buying... why settle for a mere +1 when you can Control Westboros or Hold Territory?) There was a lengthy discussion after the game about how Lannister can avoid getting totally stomped on in the first turn by Greyjoy, but I can't remember what was agreed upon...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Morgan
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have won 2 6player games as Lannister. I'd say they have won about 4-5 times out of 40 games we have played. The main thing they have to do is use diplomacy.
Since no one in my group likes to play them we have a house rule. The player who won the previous game has to play as Lannister next game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Jackal
United States
Nowhere
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Everyone likes to play Lannister every once in a while, just for the challenge. Of course, we haven't played THAT many AGoT games, so maybe we're just fiesty.

We use Ports and Tactics cards as our "optional" stuff.

Also, I've given Lannister an extra footman on Lannisport.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Taylor-Smith
Canada
Okotoks
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've won one 5-player game as Lannister but it is tough. The more experienced the players the better it seems for the Lannister player simply because nobody wants Greyjoy to run amok.

I always played with the FAQ's suggested change to the starting positions to avoid the blitz southern Greyjoy assault move.

Of course the 4-player version strongly favors the LION.

I wonder if the expansion sets help the balance out? Does anyone here know?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Morgan
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
flapjackmachine wrote:

I wonder if the expansion sets help the balance out? Does anyone here know?

The A Clash of Kings set with the ports and new house cards greatly help lannister. The ports allow Lannister to keep some navel presence to raid away at Greyjoy support. With the ACOK house cards Lannister has a card that blocks the use of the Valyrian steel blade and another card where you spend power to determine its strength. One-time orders,seige engines and forts help everyone. If you use One-time orders and the origional A Game of Thrones house cards it REALLY screws Lannister.
The Storm of Swords house cards and Tactics cards and Leaders help Lannister survive better than in the Base game IMO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.