18 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Please Help find us the perfect game . rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steram Shaw
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hi,my wife and I have been gaming for about a year and a half, we like all the games in our collection, but I've noticed when it's my wife's or my choice to choose which game to play we never choose the same, so I've set myself the task of finding the one game we will both consider our favourite,
Wife's favourites are,
Castles of burgundy,
Splendor,
Dominion,
Machi koro
Pandemic
Hawaii.

My favourites are,
Memoir 44
Quantum,
Kemet,
Seasons,
Libertalia.
Letters from Whitechapel.

Any suggestions for me to look into will be appreciated. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What game do you both enjoy the most and why? That would be a good point to start from.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Garnica
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The obvious difference in taste is as follow:

Your wife clearly enjoys engine/tableaux-building, games that have chaining & combos.

You like "dudes on a map", strategic positioning-type games.

To find a game that intersects both of these preferences in a meaningful way might be a challenge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ɹnʎʞ)
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a tough one, as even the games in one single list are already varying very much and both lists are quite contrasting each other in genres.

So I will list alternatives to listed favourites and then recommend some additional, quite different games, as I personally like recommending new game concepts instead of pointing people to games which are too similar to the ones they already own.

Splendor E Engine-building, so San Juan (second edition) might be interesting and a nice step up.

Dominion E Deck-building, so Thunderstone: Starter Set as a more thematic approach to the genre could be a nice alternative (although I do not see any fantasy-themed game on both of your lists). Valley of the Kings is also a nice compact alternative.

Pandemic E Defenders of the Realm is, again, a fantasy-themed take on Pandemic with a bit more complexity.

Letters from Whitechapel E Great game, but I personally prefer Le Fantôme de l'Opéra as it set up and played faster, requires less table space and is more of a puzzle brain-burning deduction game. This game killed Mr. Jack, Mr. Jack in New York, Scotland Yard and Letters from Whitechapel for me.

Battle Line

Elder Sign

Takenoko

Targi

Stone Age

Lords of Waterdeep

Jaipur

Caesar & Cleopatra

Alhambra

Hope there's something interesting or at least inspiring for both of you here - good luck and have fun !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steram Shaw
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
[q="Eldard"]What game do you both enjoy the most and why? That would be a good point to start from.

[/
Thanks for the reply.
Good question, jointly, probably seasons, we like the interaction, I always like rolling dice. Only thing my wife isn't keen on in that game is the card draughting at the beginning of the game. 2nd probably which I havent mentioned is suburbia, which isn't on our personal favourite list.we both Use to love pandemic, it was out 1st gamers game though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steram Shaw
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
pacman88k wrote:

Your wife clearly enjoys engine/tableaux-building, games that have chaining & combos.

To find a game that intersects both of these preferences in a meaningful way might be a challenge.

Thanks for the reply
It certainly is a challenge. Hopefully I'll find the ultimate game soon. Forgot to mention didn't want a filler game. But also not a 2-3 hr game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ys xxx
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking at your list i think Yedo could be a great game for both of you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jondi Soper
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Give Small World a try.

Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris T
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pacman88k wrote:

Perhaps give a look at A Few Acres of Snow?

It takes deckbuilding elements and applies them to colonization and troop movement on a board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Red 6 wrote:
pacman88k wrote:

It takes deckbuilding elements and applies them to colonization and troop movement on a board.

And it's designed as a 2-player only game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Garnica
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eldard wrote:
Red 6 wrote:
pacman88k wrote:

And it's designed as a 2-player only game.

Good call.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steram Shaw
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Red 6 wrote:
pacman88k wrote:

Thanks, I'll take a look at a runthrough of this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Peckham
England
Dorking
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you considered the new game out, Deus?

It combines civilisation building on a board, with clever card play and combo-building. It's as close to a game that will please both of you as I can think of, and plays very well with two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
Stevieram wrote:
Red 6 wrote:
pacman88k wrote:

Thanks, I'll take a look at a runthrough of this game.
Excellent game, one of my favourites. If the historical war theme doesn't appeal though, Mythotopia has just come out, which is fundamentally a 2-4 player reimplementation of Snow, with a fantasy theme. It has more variety in winning objectives, and it a random setup each time. I do prefer AFAOS, but they are very much bird of a feather mechanically.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan K
United States
Canton
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I enjoy the same kind of games. Try:

Among the Stars

+1Waterdeep

Suburbia

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nona de Koning
Netherlands
Tilburg
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe Luna will be something you both like? It's a nice combo of worker placement, area control, a bit of engine building and has quite a bit of interaction with the Moon Priestress, Apostate and Temple spaces. I've noticed you are much more likely to lose when you don't pay attention to what other players are doing

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steram Shaw
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Thanks for the recommendations so far, I've managed to trade a few acres of snow to add to our collection,I'm having a brain burning time going through the rules at the moment, hope it all comes clear soon, want to get the rules down before introducing it to my wife. If she doesn't like it, at least I've not wasted any money on it. Thanks again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Raciborski
United States
Newport News
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just picked up Notre Dame from a Canadian store, they import the German copies. Game has no in game text, you just need the English pdf rules.

You may be able to find a copy in your neck of the woods.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.