Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Elliott
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We had three wise and crafty monks for our first game of Mystery of the Abbey--myself, my wife, and Peter, a friend of ours. We used the expansion cards, and we removed the most imbalancing books from the library.

The Beginning
I made a quick stop by the crypt to contemplate, and then I started following my fellow investigators to ask them questions. I knew that 2 out of the three Benedictine novices were innocent, so I quickly made inquiries to eliminate the third. Soon, I was also able to eliminate Fathers Bruno and Sergio. Peter ran off to the confessional to learn more about what Krista knew. She then high-tailed it over to the library, where she read the Secret Journal of the Abbot. Peter and I both raided the Parlor for more information.

Matins
At mass, I was able to pass a completely worthless clue over to Peter. Then, a startling revelation came forward--another body had been found! Krista and Peter both rushed to the pigsty to discover what I already knew--poor Novice Charles had been murdered while we were saying our prayers. I made my way to the Scriptorium, where I read the Apocalyspe of St. John. It was a fruitless effort. However, in the inquiries that I made, I discovered that all of the novices in the monastery were clearly innocent. I rushed to the Capitulum to make this revelation to the Abbot. At this point, I realized that this was not enough information to actually make a revelation. So, I went out on a limb and made the revelation that the murderer was a Brother (to which Peter asked why I had to make it a racial thing). Meanwhile, Peter raided Krista's cell without getting caught.

Lauds
After mass concluded, the Abbot imposed a penance upon Krista and I. We returned to our cells to mortify the flesh. Then, I set out to question more of my fellow monks. I had almost eliminated all of the Benedictines from my search, but I wasn't ready to make an accusation yet. Krista spent more time in the scriptorium, and Peter prayed for some time over the relics of St. Galbert in the crypt.

Prime
Gregorian fervor swept across the monastery, and we continued our investigations in plainsong. Thankfully, all three investigator-monks were fairly musical. I had finally become certain that a hooded Franciscan was the murderer. I raced toward the Capitulum to make a couple of key revelations, even using the strength that I had gained earlier in the crypt. Unfortunately, it was not meant to be. Krista, in her frequent investigations of the scriptorium, had discovered that we had failed to celebrate the Feast of St. Theodule. I had to immediately march back to the Ecclesia before I could tell the Abbot what I had learned.

Terce
After mass, I resumed my race toward the Capitulum. However, Krista was ahead of me in turn order, and she had a crypt card, so she reached it first. She declared to all that the murderer was a Franciscan. Peter also was planning to go to the Capitulum, but he suddenly realized a gap in deductions, so he turned back to ask me a question. My cross-examination revealed to me that Brother Cuthbert was innocent--the last clue that I needed. I was ready to make my final accusation, but Krista beat me to it. She firmly declared, "Brother Jacques is the murderer!" But, alas, I revealed that Brother Jacques was most clearly innocent. Then, I stumbled into the Abbot's presence, out of breath, and stammered, "Father... Michael! Father Michael is the murderer!"

Case closed.

We all had a great time, and this one will definately get played again.

Final score:

Paul (me): 3 (one correct accusation - one incorrect revelation)
Krista: 0 (one correct revelation - one incorrect accusation)
Peter: 0 (no revelations or accusations)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.