Popular Tags: [View All]
Barry Cake
United Kingdom
Ipswich
Suffolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a question after first playthrough of the solo game. When the virtual player attacks, am I just comparing the attack cards with the common locations I have in my empire or do I compare to common cards in my hand too? The reason I ask is by the end of the second round was able to generating 4 raze tokens each turn which took care of the 2 new locations the virtual player received during the lookout phase. I then rarely had more than 2 common locations as part of my Empire by the time the virtual player attacked as I was using them to build faction locations. This meant that the virtual player's attacks rarely matched up with my common locations and so they received few cards and I seemed to win easily (rubbish score though). I have a feeling I may have played something horribly wrongly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have 3 solo plays under my belt right now and I think you nailed it already. Beating the AI just isn't that hard. It's all about your score. Having more cards then the AI has not been an issue for me. I think my last game I had 12 factions locations to the AI's 8 location cards and that was as close as it have been for me thus far. Problem was...I only scored 42 points.

Edit. Sorry I didn't answer your question. You compare the number of faction cards you have built to the AI location stack. Common and in-hand cards don't count for anything other than a single VP for each common when calculating your end game score.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob White
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thisispaul wrote:
Just a question after first playthrough of the solo game. When the virtual player attacks, am I just comparing the attack cards with the common locations I have in my empire or do I compare to common cards in my hand too? The reason I ask is by the end of the second round was able to generating 4 raze tokens each turn which took care of the 2 new locations the virtual player received during the lookout phase. I then rarely had more than 2 common locations as part of my Empire by the time the virtual player attacked as I was using them to build faction locations. This meant that the virtual player's attacks rarely matched up with my common locations and so they received few cards and I seemed to win easily (rubbish score though). I have a feeling I may have played something horribly wrongly.

Sounds right to me on a quick read through. Points are the thing though, so if you're generating swords instead of points, then you'll "win" but not really have much of a high score. I guess that's the trade off.

I'd suggest you download the new solo campaign rules where having more points at the end of the game is important so you can "buy" achievements to have in your next game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas H
Austria
Linz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just the built common cards can be attacked by the virtual player (except you're playing the Japanese - than your built faction cards could also be targeted).

Concerning your issue with winning and the score you're right - most of my 60 games were solo and winning isn't a problem (in fact i haven't lost yet), but scoring high won't always work, as your dependent on a more or less useful draw during setup and first lookout phase.

As mentioned before, the new solo campaign spices things up - so if you enjoy the solo experience, try this... you won't regret it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Zielinski
United States
Jenks
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a question along the same lines here and it has to do with winning conditions of Solo Game.

Page 13 of Instructions under "Goal" it states:

Your goal in a solo game is to build more faction Location in your Empire than the virtual player collects cards...

Page 14 of Instructions under "Game End" it states:

If the virtual player has more or just as many cards in his collection pile as you have Locations built I your empire, you lose. On the other and, if you have more Locations, you win...

One mentions only FACTION locations... other states just LOCATIONS. There is a big difference between the two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Nicholson
United States
Leo
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rent13579 wrote:
I had a question along the same lines here and it has to do with winning conditions of Solo Game.

Your goal in a solo game is to build more faction Location in your Empire than the virtual player collects cards...

If the virtual player has more or just as many cards in his collection pile as you have Locations built I your empire, you lose. On the other and, if you have more Locations, you win...

One mentions only FACTION locations... other states just LOCATIONS. There is a big difference between the two.

It's Faction buildings only. You should be able to do it most games. Sometimes razing their locations for the round is helpful, but definitely not needed to win most times.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Auton
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
blnichol wrote:
rent13579 wrote:

It's Faction buildings only. You should be able to do it most games. Sometimes razing their locations for the round is helpful, but definitely not needed to win most times.

How,do.u know its faction only?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mel
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
Aren't you glad I'm not the pied piper?
badge
Move a little closer so I can reach out and light your beard on fire!
mbmbmbmbmb
autonm wrote:
blnichol wrote:
rent13579 wrote:

How,do.u know its faction only?

I wonder if the Goal for factions only is for the solo game only? If that were the case, then when not playing solo it would be both faction and common cards. Just a hunch, but I'm not sure. I play the solo with faction end game card wins only.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.