George Jaros
United States
DeKalb
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, so here's my WIP thread for my entry into the 2015 Solitaire Contest. I've never designed a purely solitaire game before, although I've included solitaire variants in a few of my games and have played a few solitaire games. And what drew my attention to BGG design contests when I started becoming active in the community last year was playtesting Supermarche, last year's winner. So this year I've decided to give it a shot.

Villainous is a single player deck builder game (maybe multi-player capable, too with additional copies of the decks?) in which the player is a super villain trying to accomplish various dastardly goals. Throughout the game the player will be battling heroes (super heroes, law enforcement, military, and the occasional vigilante civilian) all with various abilities and equipment.

The Villain wins if he defeats all the heroes and/or completes all of his goals (e.g. robbing the city bank, building a super weapon, etc.). Additional victory points can also be earned by capturing heroes. The villain loses if he receives too much damage from the heroes. The player can gauge how well he did in the game by seeing how many victory points were earned throughout the course of a successful game.

Components will include lots of cards (I'm figuring probably about 130 cards without having variable targets, tools, heroes, and villain characters), damage counter tokens, a small game level board and tracking chip/pawn.

I have the mechanics pretty well worked out but now need to work on the various cards and their interactions. That'll likely be a long road, but hopefully a lot of fun!

Here's a graphic of what I anticipate the layout to be during a game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Schleicher
United States
Hugo
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This looks very cool. I hope this comes together because it sounds like something I'd really like to try

Looking forward to learning more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Jaros
United States
DeKalb
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys! The hard part now is going to be to come up with cards that have good interactions and are balanced properly. I see a lot of work in my future!

I also need to find someone to do some artwork for the game. Either that or I'm just going to have a bunch of clipart =(
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Correia
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh wow, I haven't started a thread here but I'm sketching a game for prototyping this weekend and it seems like the same game with an opposite theme!

Something that worries me is the number of cards. I'm keeping mine at about 54 so you only have to print 6 pages. I figure the more cards people have to cut, the less interested in it they'll be.

Good luck! I'll be following your game closely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Jaros
United States
DeKalb
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Spreadsheets galore! Been entering preliminary details for all the available cards for the various decks I'm planning. It's tedious, but fun! Can't wait until I can start making some cards and balancing numbers and abilities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love a good spreadsheet this game looks really interesting and very involved! I tried a deck builder for this contest once before and it was the furthest I got with a game, but like most contests I enter I ran out of time and didn't finish it (this year is different with a nice long entry time).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Jaros
United States
DeKalb
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe an expansion
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Jaros
United States
DeKalb
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kelzky wrote:
this game looks really interesting and very involved!

I don't think it'll be too involved to play. The mechanics and rules I have worked up are pretty straight forward. But yes, building out the card interactions and stuff is getting very involved. And then I'll have to test a lot to make sure that everything is balanced! I have a long road ahead of me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gjjaros wrote:
Kelzky wrote:
this game looks really interesting and very involved!

I don't think it'll be too involved to play. The mechanics and rules I have worked up are pretty straight forward. But yes, building out the card interactions and stuff is getting very involved. And then I'll have to test a lot to make sure that everything is balanced! I have a long road ahead of me!

I meant involved in a good way! Mostly because I could see lots of abilities for cards when I did mine I have very little abilities it was a buy more so you can produce more sort of deck builder (theme: baking!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Jaros
United States
DeKalb
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the spreadsheet with all the cards and stats completed at least to the point where I can start to build cards and hopefully get a playtest in soon. I'm starting on the Civilian Heroes deck... No artwork to speak of yet, but if the mechanics work as I hope then I can start finding artwork.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.