Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The episode title is Blueprint for Armageddon Part 5, and the reference is at the 1:55:35 mark.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Could you give us a little spoiler? Is it Henry Kissinger? JFK? Vladimir Putin?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's really just a very small mention. He doesn't talk about the game in depth or anything. His Blueprint for Armageddon series is about World War I, and in this part he's talking about the Zimmermann telegram, and also the US's fears that Germany would flip Japan to the Central Powers. He then likens such side-flipping to a game of Diplomacy.

I'll go ahead and just quote the relevant part here, so people don't have to go digging through the mp3 file:

"...the Germans are talking about flipping the Japanese, making them on the Central Powers too, having the Japanese attack the Americans, the Mexicans attack the Americans. If nothing else that keeps the Americans busy so they're not over there fighting Germans in Europe. If you're playing a board game here, of Risk or something, that's not a bad idea. You know, there's a game called Diplomacy. Not a bad move if you're playing the game called Diplomacy. Problem is there's all kinds of variables in real life not taken into account in the game of Diplomacy. One of them is that your enemies might be tapping into the cable that you use to send a secret message like that from Germany to Mexico. The British got it. Snatched it right off of the American Atlantic cable, which they were tapping."

I wonder if he's ever played Diplomacy before, or just heard of it. It's never happened in one of my games (I've only ever played online), but I've definitely heard stories of people intercepting orders, or looking at orders that someone carelessly left lying around during a bathroom break, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.