Subject: Is Perikles simply a redraft of Princes of the Renaissance? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
tom glass
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Based on the board and components, I can't help but feel Perikles is a rethemed version of PotR.
Influence markers, military counters, political control.
Can anyone provide me with a little deeper insight with regards to how Perikles differs from PotR?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Simons
United Kingdom
Royal Wootton Bassett
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Is Perikles simply a redraft of Princes of the Renaissan
Definitely not. Players attempt to gain the leadership in one or more city-states and then control the forces of that city state in one or more battles. The cities are valued at the end according to whether Athens or Sparta wins the war; then players will score according to their levels of influence in each city-state.

Naturally this is a great simplification; but I can assure you the theme, the mechanisms and the overall results are very different to PotR.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played both. While there are some similarities, it is no more true to say that Perikles is a redrawn version of Princes than it would be true to say that Samurai is a redrawn version of Euphrat & Tigris.

The similarity is that you sort-of buy influence in different cities, which fight; winning a fight brings you victory points, losing a fight costs that city prestige. On different turns you might be in control of different cities; and you retain an interest in seeing cities that you have had control of do well. It also shares similar looking components - Warfrog like producing games with large cardboard counters, dice and some wooden cylinders rather than games with decks of cards. (Perikles would be no better game for having a deck of cards, by the way; it would be completely unweildy unless it used the half-sized cards frm something like Volldampf, for example.)

But the mechanism for controlling cities is COMPLETELY different to anything in Princes; the method for fighting battles is COMPLETELY different to anything in Princes. Warfrog have used similar terms (influence, battles etc) but they are handled in very different ways and to very different ends. There are no auctions in Perikles, no money, and players have no armies; instead there is a sort of "area majority control" mechanism (which is very neat, BTW) for control of the cities, and control of a city brings with it control of an army for that turn only.

No-one who owns Princes will feel short-changed by Perikles; and no-one should be put off buying Perikles by their reaction to Princes (nor should they see liking Princes as some sort of "must buy" endorsement for buying Perikles). It's not "Princes v2.0". Nor is it "Struggle of Princes of Byzantium". But it *is* a Warfrog game, and clearly shares a similar sort of feel to most of the other Warfrog games - because Martin designs a particular type of game very well.

By the way, from what I've seen of it so far, Perikles is a better game than Princes of the Renaissance. Though I've not played enough to form a proper opinion yet. Ask me again next week
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tom glass
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for the thorough responses.
Now, just to wipe up pool of drool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
not much the same at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles F.
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While there are a number of similarities as outlined above, both games are entirely distinct gaming experiences. I very much enjoy both.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.