Subject: House Martell expansion rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stannis B
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dropbox link: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qavgxz36kncmkhk/AADoF-r5eaoji_oQa...

House Martell will heavily feature in season 5, so here's my attempt at a Martell deck based on the known castings for the next season.
House Martell is one of the six main Houses in the Living Card Game, so there are a lot of ideas to draw from.

The Martells center on their revenge theme, icon removal and the bastard trait as a substitute of the Sand Snake theme in the LCG:
- Several characters, events and locations need you to lose a challenge (as the defender) to trigger their responses.
- The Bastard trait gets some attention: boosts (Oberyn Martell, Ellaria Sand, Red Mountains, Blood of the Viper, 1000 Brothers and Sisters plot) and 3 events depend on Bastard characters (Taste for Blood, Thirst for Revenge, Vengeance).
- They have a fair distribution of all icons (and Stealth via Ellaria and Sunspear). Only Oberyn and Doran got normal renown, the other ways to gain power on characters are more tricky (Careful Plotting, Taste for Blood, Thirst for Revenge).
- The Martells can save their characters only by discarding duplicates (which currently 4 characters got), though you can put dead Bastard characters back on top of your deck with the Red Mountains location.
- There are a lot of ways for targeted kill: Areo Hotah, Poisoned, Say Her Name, Poisoned Spear.
- You can also remove opponent's icons. (Martell Sentry, Orphan of the Water Garden, Poleaxe, Lord Blackmont, Unbowed Unbent Unbroken)

It is important to win the initiative, so you can let an opponent begin. After you have lost a challenge as the defender, you can unleash your vengeance on the opponent when it's your turn to attack. The Martells lack renown, but they have a lot of ways to kill their enemies and assert board control.

Characters: 26 (including Varys and Littlefinger)
U Oberyn Martell x2
Cost: 5 STR: 3 Icon: Military, Intrigue, Power. Lord.
Renown. After you lose a challenge as the defender, Oberyn Martell does not kneel to attack.
Response: After Oberyn Martell is killed, search your deck for a BASTARD character with printed cost 2 and put it into play.
Inspired by a Red Viper and No Use For Grief.

U Doran Martell x2
Cost: 5 STR: 3 Icon: Intrigue, Power. Lord.
Renown. Response: After you lose a challenge as the defender, each opponent must choose and discard 1 card from his or her hand.
LCG Doran (Renown instead of Vengeful and no attachments)

U Ellaria Sand
x2
Cost: 3 STR: 3 Icon: Intrigue, Power. Bastard.
Stealth. All BASTARD characters you control gain Stealth.
Based on a LCG Tyene Sand.

U Areo Hotah x1
Cost: 3 STR: 4 Icon: Military. Captain. Ally.
Response: After you lose a challenge by 4 or more total strength, kneel Areo Hotah to choose and kill a participating character.
Slightly modified LCG Areo Hotah (-1 cost, but -Power icon and the target has to be a participating character.)

U Trystane Martell x2
Cost: 3 STR: 2 Icon: Military, Power. Lord.
Response: After you lose a challenge, move 1 power from any character to Trystane Martell.
Based on a LCG Ellaria Sand, pretty good counter to Renown.

U Sand Snakes x1
Cost: 2 STR: 2 Icon: Military, Intrigue, Power. Bastard.
You may attach Sand Snakes as a duplicate to Obara Sand, Tyene Sand or Nymeria Sand from your hand.
LCG Loyal Guard.

U Obara Sand x1
Cost: 2 STR: 2 Icon: Military. Bastard.
Obara Sand gets +1 strength for each challenge you have lost this round.
Oberyn's bastard daughters are the backbone of the Martell deck similar to the dragons in the Targaryen deck.

U Tyene Sand x1
Cost: 2 STR: 2 Icon: Intrigue. Bastard.
Tyene Sand gets +1 strength for each challenge you have lost this round.

U Nymeria Sand x1
Cost: 2 STR: 2 Icon: Power. Bastard.
Nymeria Sand gets +1 strength for each challenge you have lost this round.

U Lord Blackmont (Neutral) x1
Cost: 3 STR: 2 Icon: Military, Power. Lord.
Challenges: Kneel Lord Blackmont to choose a character. That character gains or loses an icon of your choice until the end of the phase.
LCG Greenblood Merchant.

Dornish Merchant x1
Cost: 2 STR: 2 Icon: Intrigue, Power. Ally.
Response: After an opponent plays an event card, take 1 gold from the treasury and add it to your gold pool.
LCG Nomadic Trader.

Kingsguard x1 (Neutral)
Cost: 2 STR: 2 Icon: Military. Knight.
Challenges: Kneel Kingsguard to choose an opponent's character. Until the end of the phase, that character cannot be chosen to die as the result of [Military] challenge claim.
LCG Veteran Spearman.

Orphan of the Water Garden x1
Cost: 0 STR: 0 Icon: Ally.
Challenges: Discard Orphan of the Water Garden from play (cannot be saved) to choose 1 character. Until the end of the phase, that character loses a [Military], an [Intrigue], and a [Power] icon.
LCG Orphan of the Greenblood.

U Myrcella Lannister (Neutral) x1
Cost: 0 STR: 2 Icon: Intrigue, Power. Lady. Ally.
After Myrcella Lannister leaves play, each opponent claims 1 power.
Based on the Prized keyword.

Martell Sentry x3
Cost: 1 STR: 1 Icon: Military. Ally.
Challenges: Kneel Martell Sentry to choose a character with more than 1 icon. Until the end of the phase, that character loses an icon of your choice.
The icon removal theme.

Dornish Rider x2
Cost: 3 STR: 3 Icon: Military, Power. Ally.
While Dornish Rider is attacking, characters with fewer than 2 icons do not count their strength.
Based on LCG The Windblown. Combo with icon removal.

Locations: 9 (including Iron Throne and King's Landing)
U Sunspear x1
Cost: 2 Dorne.
Challenges: Kneel Sunspear to choose a House Martell character. Until the end of the phase, that character gains Stealth and "after this character bypasses a character by using Stealth, kneel that character."
LCG Lost Oasis.

Red Mountains x1
Cost: 1 Dorne.
Dominance: Kneel Red Mountains to put a BASTARD character from your discard pile or dead pile on top of your deck.
Based on LCG Red Mountain Keep.

Sunspear Fountain x1
Cost: 0 Dorne.
Response: After you lose a challenge, pay 1 gold to draw a card.
Slightly modified LCG Stepstones.

Sea of Dorne x1
Cost: 0 Westeros.
Limited. Marshalling: Discard Sea of Dorne from play to reduce the cost of the next House Martell character you play this phase by 3.
LCG Seat of Power.

Water Garden
x3
Cost: 0 Dorne.
Limited. +1 Gold
HBO location.

Attachments: 5
Poleaxe x1
Cost: 1 Weapon.
Any Phase: Kneel Poleaxe to choose attached character. Until the end of the phase, that character either gains or loses a [Military] icon.
LCG Broken Spear. Nicely flexible.

Poisoned (Neutral) x1
Cost: 1 Condition.
Response: After attached character stands, kill attached character. Then, draw 1 card.
LCG Poisoned Coin.

Careful Plotting x1
Response: After you lose a challenge as the defender, attached character claims 1 power.
LCG A Taste for Blood (minus -1 strength.)

Blood of the Viper x1
Attached character gains the BASTARD trait and 'BASTARD characters you control get +1 strength.'
LCG Blood of the Viper.

Poisoned Spear x1
Cost: 1 Weapon.
Attach to a House Martell character only.
Response: After you win a challenge in which attached character participated, choose a character. That character loses a challenge icon of your choice until the end of the phase. Then, if that character has no challenge icons, kill it.
LCG Hotah's Axe. Perfect to kill characters that have lost their icons via the Orphan character or the Unbowed event.

Events: 10
Say Her Name x2
Response: After one of your House Martell characters is killed, choose and kill an opponent's character with equal or lower strength. (Limit 1 per phase.)
LCG Blood for Blood.

Taste For Blood x2
Response: After you lose a challenge, choose a participating BASTARD character to claim 1 power. Then, if this was the first challenge initiated this phase, stand that character and draw 1 card.
LCG An Opening Gambit.

Thirst for Revenge x2
Response: After a House Martell character is killed, BASTARD characters you control gain Renown until the end of the phase.
LCG A Nest of Vipers.

Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken x2
Challenges: After you lose a challenge, choose a character. Until the end of the phase, that character loses an icon of your choice. Then, stand all House Martell characters with that icon.
Based on LCG Compelled by the sun.

Vengeance x2
Response: After you lose a challenge as the defender, kneel a BASTARD character to cancel the claim effect of that challenge. Then, the attacking opponent has to satisfy the claim of that challenge as if he or she had lost the challenge as the defender.
LCG Red Vengeance.

Plots: (mostly based on LCG plots which I deemed reasonable)
To the Spears!
Inc: 3 Init: 0 Claim: 1
Characters you control do not kneel to attack this round.

Doran's Schemes
Inc: 3 Init: 4 Claim: 1
When revealed, name a phase. Opponents cannot play event cards during that phase this round.

Queenmaker
Inc: 3 Init: 6 Claim: 1
When revealed, each player discards 3 cards from hand. Each player that discarded 3 cards draws 3 cards.

1000 Brothers and Sisters
Inc: 3 Init: 5 Claim: 1
All BASTARD characters get +2 strength.

Only the strong survive
Inc: 3 Init: 2 Claim: 1
When revealed, each player must choose and discard 1 neutral character he or she controls.

Dornish Armory
Inc: 5 Init: 0 Claim: 1
When revealed, choose an opponent. Then, you and that opponent each search your decks for an in-House attachment card, reveal it, and put it into your hands. Then, shuffle your decks.

Counterstrike
Inc: 4 Init: 4 Claim: 2
After you lose a challenge as the attacker, raise your claim by 1.
After you win a challenge as the attacker, lower your claim by 1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Howard
United States
Marina del Rey
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: SPOILER FOR SEASON 5! House Martell expansion
I'll be following this thread, but not reading too much into it yet since I haven't read beyond where the show is yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stannis B
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome!

From what I have read there will be a lot of differences between the show and the books concerning the Martell storyline, so I don't really know how it will all pan out in season 5, either.
With all the necessary changes to keep the scope of the story TV-convertible and "The Winds of Winter" not yet published, the show will deeply enter uncharted territory this year. It's really exciting not to know what will happen for a change.

by the way, do you have an approximate release date for the PrinterStudio version of the NW and Bolton decks (with or without the House Arryn deck and the alternative Targaryen and Baratheon cards)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Exner
United States
Fridley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Just out of curiosity, any idea on the completion date on this?

My wife is absolutely OBSESSED with Oberyn. Her birthday is at the end of July and I would love to be able to give her a Martell deck as a gift (and also the Baratheon and Targaryen decks, which I've been holding off on, because I figured a Martell deck was inevitable).

Any plans on starting the layout first and then waiting for appropriate pictures to roll in as the season progresses?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stannis B
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I've already noticed that House Martell is quite popular around here. This thread got more replies and thumb ups in 1 day than Houses Arryn, Tully and Wildlings together in 4 months. Admittedly, Pedro Pascal's performance as Oberyn was perfect!

Tom has been so kind to lend his PhotoShop skills to the fan-made expansions, but it's his leisure time after all (for a game he doesn't even play himself), so it's not really practicable to put an estimated completion date on these projects.

I can just tell you that I'll be testing and polishing this deck, so I'm confident we're going to have a balanced version by the end of season 5.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liz Burton
United States
Bethesda
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
mbmbmbmbmb
These look great. I love the way the Bastard trait and Vengeance theme work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stannis B
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not quite sure yet which characters are more important and should get duplicates: Oberyn for sure, but then the rest of the Martell family (Doran and Trystane) or the Bastards (Ellaria and Oberyn's 3 daughters)?

I'm inclined to Doran and Trystane (and Ellaria) at the moment, it's the Martell deck after all and not the "Sand" deck, so the Prince of Dorne and his heir should get the additional copy. But then again, maybe the Sand Snakes get much more screen time...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liz Burton
United States
Bethesda
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JAFL wrote:
I'm not quite sure yet which characters are more important and should get duplicates: Oberyn for sure, but then the rest of the Martell family (Doran and Trystane) or the Bastards (Ellaria and Oberyn's 3 daughters)?

I'm inclined to Doran and Trystane (and Ellaria) at the moment, it's the Martell deck after all and not the "Sand" deck, so the Prince of Dorne and his heir should get the additional copy. But then again, maybe the Sand Snakes get much more screen time...

Yeah, I think the way you have it (with the duplicate bastards) is probably better. Hard to say, though.

Of course, I'll be printing 2 decks and putting 3 of all the important characters in the decks, so it's not quite as important to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stannis B
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the current version I go with duplicates for House Martell, but I introduced an additional BASTARD character "Sand Snakes" which can be played as a duplicate on Obara, Tyene and Nymeria.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John S.
msg tools
Any update for this project? I absolutely loved the Bolton, Nights Watch, Baratheon, and Targaryen expansions that you and Stannis B collaborated on. I know that you don't necessarily play yourself, and given the attention to detail shown, it takes a long time to produce these. Not trying to be pushy, just more curious than anything else. It would be awesome to see a House Martell deck!

Thanks for all the work that you put into these

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stannis B
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's in the making.

I'm designing the cards myself now. I'm by far not as proficient as Tom in PhotoShop, but my cards will do, I guess. Here's an example of the upcoming Martell deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John S.
msg tools
Looks amazing man. Say what you want, but I still think yours look quite professional. Keep up the great work!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stannis B
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, here's House Martell: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qavgxz36kncmkhk/AADoF-r5eaoji_oQa...

Could you guys check these cards before I put them up in the files section? I checked them already, but maybe there are some typos and weird wordings that eluded me. Or maybe you consider some card overpowered. Then let me know as well. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liz Burton
United States
Bethesda
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JAFL wrote:
Ok, here's House Martell: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qavgxz36kncmkhk/AADoF-r5eaoji_oQa...

Could you guys check these cards before I put them up in the files section? I checked them already, but maybe there are some typos and weird wordings that eluded me. Or maybe you consider some card overpowered. Then let me know as well. Thanks!

This deck is beautiful and powerful. Thoughts.

1) "Poisoned" seems overpowered for 1 gold (unless standing during the standing phase is optional).

2) Lots of the cards have incorrect quotation marks at the bottom. E.g., Olyvar is right, but Jamie Lannister is wrong.

3) Can you make the font on the plot cards larger?

4) "Weapons of Dorne" should read "a House Martell" instead of "an House Martell"

Seriously excellent work. The theme is perfect and I love the images you chose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stannis B
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1) It's definitely powerful, but there is also some attachment removal in the game. And if you don't use the character, it's safe because Martell can't kneel characters.
In addition, you could just use the attached character and then kill it for Military claim, so your opponent doesn't draw a card. Still good for the Martell player forcing you to choose a strong character for Military claim, but not overpowered I guess. But I made it neutral anyways so you cannot search for it with the Weapons of Dorne plot.

2), 3), 4) Thanks! (In German, the quotation marks are at the bottom at the beginning of the word. That's why I mixed that up.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liz Burton
United States
Bethesda
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JAFL wrote:
1) It's definitely powerful, but there is also some attachment removal in the game. And if you don't use the character, it's safe because Martell can't kneel characters.
In addition, you could just use the attached character and then kill it for Military claim, so your opponent doesn't draw a card. Still good for the Martell player forcing you to choose a strong character for Military claim, but not overpowered I guess. But I made it neutral anyways so you cannot search for it with the Weapons of Dorne plot.

Sounds good, then. This will be a fun deck to play. Looking forward to it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.