United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mb
Here's the list of finalists for the Golden Geeks...Congratulations to all designers and publishers. Winners of each category will be announced at BGG.CON 2006.

Also, we're doing an overall Game of the Year from these finalists. Voting for the Golden Geek Game of the Year will close on Midnight November 1st, 2006.

Vote here!
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geekawards.php

Gamer's Strategy Games
Antike
Caylus
Reef Encounter

2 Player Games
Ingenious
Lord of the Rings: The Confrontation
Twilight Struggle

Kids Games
Diamant
Hey, That's My Fish!
Nacht der Magier

Light / Party Games
Ca$h 'n Gun$
Diamant
Wits & Wagers

War Games
Bonaparte at Marengo
Commands & Colors: Ancients
Twilight Struggle

Family Games
Blue Moon City
Ingenious
Ticket to Ride: Europe

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Golden Geek Finalists - Open Voting for Game of the Year
Aldie wrote:

Gamer's Strategy Games
Antike
Caylus
Reef Encounter

Excellent selection. I'm glad to all three started from fairly small publishers (well before RGG and z-man picked them up). Shows how the little guy can really put out some high quality flair.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe McKinley
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
When I heard the learn’d astronomer; When the proofs, the figures, were ranged in columns before me; When I was shown the charts and the diagrams, to add, divide, and measure them; When I, sitting, heard the astronomer, where he lectured with
badge
much applause in the lecture-room, How soon, unaccountable, I became tired and sick; Till rising and gliding out, I wander’d off by myself, In the mystical moist night-air, and from time to time, Look’d up in perfect silence at the stars. W.W.
mbmbmbmbmb
The instructions say:

Quote:
Your votes are recorded immediately and may be changed up until the time voting closes (11:59 PM CST - September 30, 2006).

I think the date is wrong...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mb
The Unbeliever wrote:
The instructions say:

Quote:
Your votes are recorded immediately and may be changed up until the time voting closes (11:59 PM CST - September 30, 2006).

I think the date is wrong...

Fixed - thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Miller
United States
Holland
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldie wrote:

Wow, looks like I rate the kid's games (7,9,7) higher than the gamer's strategy games (uninterested,6,9) this year. What does that say about me?

If the gamer's games had included Indonesia instead of Antike or Caylus, then that would magically change me back from a kid into a gamer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice set of finalists. I enjoy all three of the gamers games!

Glad to see Wits & Wagers represented in the party games section; it's been a huge hit with my family/friends this year!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Burbach
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
2 Player Games
Ingenious
Lord of the Rings - The Confrontation: Deluxe Edition
Twilight Struggle

Kids Games
Diamant
Hey! That's My Fish!
Nacht der Magier

These two categories have me a little puzzled. They both have only one finalist that seems to fit the category.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Tracey
United States
Unspecified
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Well, it appears Twilight Struggle is still both a wargame and not a wargame.

Also, it's sad. I've played exactly 1 of the finalists.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
howeman wrote:

No. Twilight Struggle is both a Wargame, and a 2 player game, not mutually exclusive.

My only trade off on the list would be to take Reef Encounter (2004) off (not because it wasn't a great game) and put in Elasund (2005) on. I think Reef Encounter is a great game, but to old for a 2005-2006 award.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldie wrote:

Gamer's Strategy Games
Antike
Caylus
Reef Encounter

Interesting comparing the Games Magazine 2006 finalists in:

Advanced Strategy
Reef Encounter
Caylus

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
howeman wrote:

No. Twilight Struggle is both a Wargame, and a 2 player game, not mutually exclusive.

My only trade off on the list would be to take Reef Encounter (2004) off (not because it wasn't a great game) and put in Elasund (2005) on. I think Reef Encounter is a great game, but to old for a 2005-2006 award.

But remember, the "2-player" category wasn't listed as just "2 player." It specifically said "2-player (non-wargames)". Yet, somehow, Twilight Struggle is in that list and in the wargame list. Ugh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Randy Cox wrote:

But remember, the "2-player" category wasn't listed as just "2 player." It specifically said "2-player (non-wargames)". Yet, somehow, Twilight Struggle is in that list and in the wargame list. Ugh.

If that's the case, then that is kind of a bad selection. I don't really play to many 2p or wargames. I think I put Twilight Struggle in wargames, as it was the only one I've played. But I really didn't watch those categories closely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Leuchtenburg
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure that I'd really call it "open voting", since I can't vote. "Voting is open" would be a better way to word it, or "Voting for Game of the Year is Open"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
Shouldn't the list look like this?

Gamer's Strategy Games
Antike
Caylus
Reef Encounter

2 Player Games (non-wargame)
Ingenious
Lord of the Rings: The Confrontation
Twilight Struggle

Kids Games
Diamant
Hey, That's My Fish!
Nacht der Magier

Light Games
Ca$h 'n Gun$
Diamant

Party Games
Wits & Wagers

War Games
Grognard Games
Bonaparte at Marengo
Miniatures Games
Commands & Colors: Ancients
"Tweener" Games
Twilight Struggle

Family Games
Blue Moon City
Ingenious
Ticket to Ride: Europe

All this, of course, with a

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, is there a way we can go back and look at our votes to see if we aligned at all with the final consensus?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ubergeek
United States
Washougal
Washington
flag msg tools
Be Happy in your Game!
badge
I spent 100 Geek Gold and all I got was this lousy overtext message!
mbmbmbmbmb
A great field of finalists Best of luck to the winners.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mrbass
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Golden Geek Finalists-Voting is Open for Game of the Yea
When is BGG con...dates? I know it's right after Essen but not sure when that is either...October something.

Also wouldn't it be cool if the game of the year ends up being a game that isn't even the winner in one of the categories.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin H
Canada
Windsor
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
mrbass wrote:
Also wouldn't it be cool if the game of the year ends up being a game that isn't even the winner in one of the categories.

haha yes...entirely possible I would think...probably a very good reason why only the winners of each category should be pitted against each other.

I think there's a lot to learn by this 1st year of awards. You can't really plan for every contingency

I own 2 of the nominees...and have played neither...but plan to.

Wits & Wagers vs. Lord of the Rings: The Confrontation Deluxe...which of them will be my game of the year!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Simons
United Kingdom
Royal Wootton Bassett
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Glamorous Mucus wrote:
Aldie wrote:

Wow, looks like I rate the kid's games (7,9,7) higher than the gamer's strategy games (uninterested,6,9) this year. What does that say about me?

I'd say you have a fish fixation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Rosewater
Switzerland
Zürich
Switzerland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
Aldie wrote:

Gamer's Strategy Games
Antike
Caylus
Reef Encounter

Excellent selection. I'm glad to all three started from fairly small publishers (well before RGG and z-man picked them up). Shows how the little guy can really put out some high quality flair.

While I agree with the result I have another conclusion.
It's only logical, that games from small publishers are on top here on BGG.
Let's say you are an unaware family casual gamer. The only games you know are those sold in big shopping malls. If you would vote, you only could choose amongst well known and big publishers.
It's the privilegue of us geeks to know FLGS and internetdealers which provide us the pearls of the whole boardgame industry. It's kind of a development process that we began to prefer games from smaller publishers because they offer more flavor or depth in their games compared to big publishers which address their products mostly to families.
For the reasons mentioned it is no surprise that the finalists are from small pubslishers (and no suprise either that bigger pubslishers are going to pick them up).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
Goodsound wrote:
...I have another conclusion.
It's only logical, that games from small publishers are on top here on BGG.
Let's say you are an unaware family casual gamer. The only games you know are those sold in big shopping malls. If you would vote, you only could choose amongst well known and big publishers...

Yep. This is the big, gaping problem with this ranked pairs thing where unranked entries are not considered to be "losers" to the games you bother to rank.

If Family Gamer Person ranks Ticket to Ride Europe #1 and Lord of the Rings Confrontation #2 for Game of the Year and leaves the other 13 games unranked, then he has contributed only that TTRE is 1-0 (one win, zero losses) vs. LOTR-C and that LOTR-C is 0-1 against TTRE. The system does not determine that the other 13 games are 0-1 against both TTRE and LOTR-C. The system fails in that regard because it doesn't recognize that a #1 vote for a game means it gets the nod over all other games on the list, not just the ranked games on the list.

If 15,999 voters rank TTRE #1 and LOTR-C #2 and leave the rest of the ballot blank (because they're only familiar with major releases), one niche gamer could come along and vote Bonaparte at Marengo better than all of the other 14 games. And that is their right, because to that one voter out of 16000, this is a true evaluation. But it's only one voice out of 16,000! By the ranked pairs system under this scenario, Bonaparte is Game of the Year, having gone 1-0 vs TTRE, 1-0 vs LOTR-C, and 1-0 against the other 12 games. TTRE#1 comes in second having gone 15999-0 against LOTR-C but 0-1 against Bonaparte.

So, yes, in that sense, Ranked Pairs favors the niche games unless voters do as I do and rank the games they know 1-x and then lump all the others together at ranking number x+1. I do hope that most people have either played most of the games or make darn sure not to leave any games off of their ranked list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MrSkeletor wrote:
Bah, nothing I voted for got in except confrontation!
The Euro haters need to lift their game.

HAHA....queues Eric Carmen.. "ALLLLLLL By MySelf, don't wanna be ALLLL by myself, anymore!"... laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Carpentersville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Randy Cox wrote:
If 15,999 voters rank TTRE #1 and LOTR-C #2 and leave the rest of the ballot blank (because they're only familiar with major releases), one niche gamer could come along and vote Bonaparte at Marengo better than all of the other 14 games. And that is their right, because to that one voter out of 16000, this is a true evaluation. But it's only one voice out of 16,000! By the ranked pairs system under this scenario, Bonaparte is Game of the Year, having gone 1-0 vs TTRE, 1-0 vs LOTR-C, and 1-0 against the other 12 games. TTRE#1 comes in second having gone 15999-0 against LOTR-C but 0-1 against Bonaparte.

This is not how I understand it, Randy. The second step after making the pairs is to sort them by majorities (diferences between the two parts) of the pair. This would make TTRE the winner with a 15999 margin between its two parts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Jacy
United States
Waltham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe it's just me, but shouldn't there be a "Done" or "Finished" button or something? (or is my eyesight so bad from reading too many lists/forums etc.?) Seems odd to just close the tab/window when I'm done voting...

-jjacy1

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Smith
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Randy Cox wrote:

So, yes, in that sense, Ranked Pairs favors the niche games unless voters do as I do and rank the games they know 1-x and then lump all the others together at ranking number x+1. I do hope that most people have either played most of the games or make darn sure not to leave any games off of their ranked list.

The real problem with this or any system is that if the voters don't vote honestly it is kind of pointless. Imagine if in the election coming up everyone voted for me in every election... Well let me just say I would be changing a few laws.

Anyway I hope that people are not voting this way, because I am interested in an honest view of the best game. Like Ray points out this is not exactly how Ranked Pairs works. I would expect that if everyone that had played a small run game found it was better than everything else in the list, it should have a chance to win. If everyone that hasn't played it votes it down though, we will never know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.