Popular Tags: [View All]
Joel Pettit
United States
Gardner
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

I received my Star Realms box and wanted to post some photos so you can see the quality a bit better.

The box is corrugated cardboard with a fold up lid. The artwork is great. Although I'm just using one set, I decided to get the big box just to prepare for any and all expansions. At most I think I'll own two base sets, but right now I'm loving this game for two.

I really would have preferred a regular lid, but this is still great. I really think these sleeves are some of the best around.

I'm sure most people will end up just getting the single deck box, but this box comes with Mercenary Garrisons!

I think I'm playing these right. You can only choose one faction effect per turn for them.

I have to say, in the end, I'm quite happy with this box, but I really wish it had come with an alternate scoring system. Right now we prefer using dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Schoonmaker-Gates
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for sharing!

It looks like for the mercenary base, that those effects are ally effects. So they would only trigger from another card being played. Based on my understanding of the original rules, I'd assume that any/all of the ally effects for this card could take effect IF you had played the necessary cards to trigger them.

Interesting card though :-). I hadn't seen it before.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't know it came with dividers as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I had known it came with Mercenary Garrisons, I would have ordered it a long time ago! (I assumed it came with Mercenary Cruisers.)

Thank you, Joel, and have some geekgold!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Waspinator
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any idea what the promo with the smaller box is?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Pettit
United States
Gardner
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheWaspinator wrote:

Not sure. I'm also wondering if it's really going to be available... It's not on the Legion Supplies website (that's where I ordered this).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Webster
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yahooseriously1 wrote:
TheWaspinator wrote:

Not sure. I'm also wondering if it's really going to be available... It's not on the Legion Supplies website (that's where I ordered this).

The game designer reported that it should be th same promo card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Pettit
United States
Gardner
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
railbaron wrote:
Based on my understanding of the original rules, I'd assume that any/all of the ally effects for this card could take effect IF you had played the necessary cards to trigger them.

Oh, wow. Thanks for the clarification. That's one heck of a card!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yahooseriously1 wrote:
railbaron wrote:
Based on my understanding of the original rules, I'd assume that any/all of the ally effects for this card could take effect IF you had played the necessary cards to trigger them.

Better than Mech World.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Pettit
United States
Gardner
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lordrahvin wrote:
yahooseriously1 wrote:
railbaron wrote:

Better than Mech World.

And Merc Garrison + Mech World would trigger all of the effects, no?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Jackson
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
What is the sound of one card shuffling?
mbmbmbmbmb
well, i ordered one. promo cards and dividers... im a sucker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yahooseriously1 wrote:
lordrahvin wrote:
yahooseriously1 wrote:
railbaron wrote:

Better than Mech World.

And Merc Garrison + Mech World would trigger all of the effects, no?

Yeah, looks like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Pettit
United States
Gardner
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, there are three Merc Garrisons here. How many should I be playing with in a 2-player game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Blount
United States
Atascadero
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yahooseriously1 wrote:
Also, there are three Merc Garrisons here. How many should I be playing with in a 2-player game?

Logic would say that if the same promo is included in the small box that holds 1 deck, and that 3 are included in the large box that can hold 3 decks that you should use a single promo card per deck of cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Warhammer: Diskwars
mbmbmbmbmb
lordrahvin wrote:
yahooseriously1 wrote:
railbaron wrote:

Better than Mech World.

I don't know. Garrison should not activate the ally power of the other cards being played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Lemons
United States
Bettendorf
Iowa
flag msg tools
realmchat.forumotion.com
badge
realmchat.forumotion.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Ronaldo wrote:
lordrahvin wrote:
yahooseriously1 wrote:
railbaron wrote:

Better than Mech World.

I don't know. Garrison should not activate the ally power of the other cards being played.

From what I read on the Facebook Fan Community, one of your ships activates one of the Garrisons effects per turn, and the Garrison does not trigger the ships ally ability. This could be incorrect, but its what I gathered from the discussion there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Randy Weston - The Spirits of Our Ancestors
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for having the good taste to post this as a general thread rather than as a "component review".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ronaldo wrote:
lordrahvin wrote:
yahooseriously1 wrote:
railbaron wrote:

Better than Mech World.

Okay, I hadn't thought of that. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
smakx wrote:
From what I read on the Facebook Fan Community, one of your ships activates one of the Garrisons effects per turn, and the Garrison does not trigger the ships ally ability.

Of course, it works like that.

The card itself is neutral and does not belong to any faction, so it does not trigger other card's ally abilities.

The card has four different ally abilities, which trigger as long as you have a card from that faction in play (usually, that will be one faction per card, unless you have Mech World... or other cards, which to this date do not exist, as far as I know, which belong to multiple factions).

As for copies per deck... the card has the gold promo logo, so you should play with only one copy (at least, that is the official recommendation... as usual, you can do whatever you want, of course ).

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanee wrote:
smakx wrote:
From what I read on the Facebook Fan Community, one of your ships activates one of the Garrisons effects per turn, and the Garrison does not trigger the ships ally ability.

Of course, it works like that.

Are you saying only one Garrison effect can be activated per turn? I kind of like the idea that all four can be activated if you have a diverse selection of ships/heroes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodolphe Duhil
France
Rambouillet
Ile-de-France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
railbaron wrote:
That's because those who bought the box at Essen or, like me, at a retailer who bought them at Essen, did not get the promo cards. They were probably not printed at the time.

Unfortunately, it seems that the publisher "forgot" to tell that the promos were missing...
If only we could get those promos. As it is, the other promo cards are unavailable for us in Europe, unless you're willing to pay $10 a card on eBay.

The box with dividers and sleeves are great though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Jackson
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mine came today from CSI and it is super swanky. Going to sleeve everything up tonight!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I find the sleeves are terrible for shuffling though. I can't recall what I used before, but they were much better to shuffle with, but I don't exactly want to switch back since I would need to add more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Jackson
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
matthean wrote:
I find the sleeves are terrible for shuffling though. I can't recall what I used before, but they were much better to shuffle with, but I don't exactly want to switch back since I would need to add more.

its definitely hard to shuffle the trade deck+expansions, but i put it down to having never used sleeved cards before.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Jackson
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Messire wrote:
railbaron wrote:
That's because those who bought the box at Essen or, like me, at a retailer who bought them at Essen, did not get the promo cards. They were probably not printed at the time.

Unfortunately, it seems that the publisher "forgot" to tell that the promos were missing...
If only we could get those promos. As it is, the other promo cards are unavailable for us in Europe, unless you're willing to pay $10 a card on eBay.

The box with dividers and sleeves are great though.

the box i got came with 3 and i doubt i'll ever need more than 2 tops. i can mail you one if you want. GM me if youre interested
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.