Subject: Tie breaker? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brad Keck
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, we couldn't find any official word on a tie breaker rule in the rules. Are we missing it, or is there a FAQ or something?

I suppose it would be easy enough to use most actual money as either the winner or loser. Not sure which one makes more sense. (And not sure what would be the secondary tie breaker, should that be tied too.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angus the Bull
United States
Elyria
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You're right in that I don't see any tie-breaker in my engligh edition rule set, most money wins the game.

You could always break it down by control in the largest crop, or quantity of crops controlled. Perhaps even number of yield markers still on the board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mrbass
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Black had 12 workers and owned 7 plantation tiles Green had 11 workers and owned 7 plantations tiles...so black wins? No I don't think so....there really is no good way to determine a tie. If there was the authors definitely would have included it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Keck
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I still think that as a house rule, it makes sense to use "previous money" as a tie breaker. (I also still don't know whether more money should mean that you win the tie or lose it.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mrbass
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If that was the house rule then I'd definitely seek trying to be Canal Overseer more often than not and stay out of most of the high bids. I've won a game before have only 22 escudos from investments and about 57 Escudos in previous money. Can two people share the win? Where's the love, where's the love?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
Some games, e.g. Cosmic Encounter, just don't have them. They have the concept of a shared victory if there is no clear winner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mrbass
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tikal doesn't have tie breakers either. Here's a 3 way tie..simply amazing.
http://www.spielbyweb.com/game.php?games_id=12495

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike K
United States
Fairless Hills
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mrbass wrote:

Black had 12 workers and owned 7 plantation tiles Green had 11 workers and owned 7 plantations tiles...so black wins? No I don't think so....there really is no good way to determine a tie. If there was the authors definitely would have included it.

MAN, am I itching to play this on SbW!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From a distance it looks incredibly boring--let's go farm some beans kids! But it warmed the cockles of my ameritrash heart.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Keck
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mrbass wrote:
If that was the house rule then I'd definitely seek trying to be Canal Overseer more often than not and stay out of most of the high bids. I've won a game before have only 22 escudos from investments and about 57 Escudos in previous money. Can two people share the win? Where's the love, where's the love?

Well, two things there.

First, each time I said that I wasn't sure which way the tie break should go. Perhaps whoever has the LEAST previous money (and hence made more money from planations) should be the winner.

Second, why would you base your whole game around the unlikely event that you'll need a tie breaker?

Anyway, it would also just be a house rule for people who like tie breakers. (renegade and I seem to be in this category.) :-D

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris K
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
12 years later and I'm going to suggest the following tie-breakers in this order:

1. Player with Yield Cubes in the most different types of Plantation Tiles.
2. Player with most Yield Cubes on board.

I've played several games on-line and it's never gone to a tie but it's nice to have them in place when/if it happens. A shared win is just not satisfying in my opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.