Joe Martineau
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
Maybe I'll just stay home and play KDM.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Took this to my game store tonight and everyone at the table was frustrated by the boards. Just barely brushing against one sends it spinning.

I didn't notice this at home, since we have a felt tabletop.

I wonder if they'll fix it for a second printing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken

Pdx
Oregon
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Generally speaking, if you put warped boards in a humid environment and put books or something heavy on them, they will flatten right out and stay flat. From what I understand, warping is a reaction of the cardboard adjust from the environment it was created in to the new environment of your house.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Some of my boards warped a little bit after I punched them. But a slight bend in the opposite direction cured that.

I just wish they were a little bigger (the personal breweries, anyway). The artwork is so invocative of the theme - especially when you start adding on to your brewery - it loses its "awesomeness" on such a small board and with such small add-on tiles. But I also get they don't need to bigger, either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice Hate Me
United States
Chapel Hill
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
The boardgame blog with worse luck than you! dicehateme.com
mbmbmbmbmb
RageGoblin wrote:
Took this to my game store tonight and everyone at the table was frustrated by the boards. Just barely brushing against one sends it spinning.

There really is no "fixing" for a second printing. This is the somewhat-unfortunate effect of going from environment to environment. Humidity affects punchboard. This is a reality across the board whether it is manufactured in China, Germany, or elsewhere. Paper absorbs water, so if you go from a high-humidity climate to low-humidity one you will encounter warping. It also makes a difference as to what time of year you ship games. For Brew Crafters, it was during winter - typically a low-humidity season.

As mentioned before this comment, a gentle bending of the breweries and labs toward the opposite side will generally straighten them out. They will also acclimate over time to your environment and remain flat.

Cheers,
Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Martineau
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, thanks for the suggestions/info.

I guess it's just not a problem I've encountered before, even in other DHM games. Never had the issue with Viva Java's or Compounded's player boards, though they appear to be made of a slightly different material.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thom Goodsell
United States
Belmont
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, there seems to be something about the particular paper material used that makes is worse than I've typically seen in other games, though I suppose it could also be related to the time of year. I flattened mine by bending against the warp, though I suspect I'll have to do that multiple times as the paper adjusts. In general, I feel like the boards are a little smaller and thinner than I'd like, but not unreasonably so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doc Bullseye
United States
Brownsburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When we played the other night, the boards were flat when we took them out of the box, but slowly started to curl as we played. I assumed it was because of the absolutely no humidity in my house.

You guys should make stainless steel boards for the second printing. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice Hate Me
United States
Chapel Hill
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
The boardgame blog with worse luck than you! dicehateme.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Galego wrote:
Yeah, there seems to be something about the particular paper material used that makes is worse than I've typically seen in other games, though I suppose it could also be related to the time of year. I flattened mine by bending against the warp, though I suspect I'll have to do that multiple times as the paper adjusts. In general, I feel like the boards are a little smaller and thinner than I'd like, but not unreasonably so.

Yeah, not sure why they seem different - all the boards were created by Panda in their factory, using the exact same material as previous boards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
Roseville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yea it drove us nuts, each player just did a slight bend the other way and it got better. Slowly I do that to each board more and more and it's flattening out. I may put them in a small room with a humidifier and put books on em to get them flat if I end up really caring more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim thorson
United States
Chaska
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mine were bad too but I usually just put them under like Galaxy trucker anniversary edition
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elizabeth Nugent

Washington
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I put mine under Modernist Cuisine. I need to get them out to take to a gaming event tomorrow - we'll see what one day of that does for them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Martineau
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pulled the game out for another play today, not having attempted to bend the boards or weigh them down in any way. Last time I packed them up, they were horribly warped. Today? Perfectly straight.

We played a five player game and towards the end of it, our boards had all started to warp again.

Very strange.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Barree
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
General Bonkers says the War on String may be unwinnable. Detractors worry that his statements will embolden string.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm having the same problem but hope it resolves itself before our game day next weekend. Fortunately my wife binds books as a hobby so I put them in her book press. At least they'll be dead flat at the start of our game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Sanfilippo
United States
ISSAQUAH
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RageGoblin wrote:

I did not notice this in mine. But for Alhambra and Carcassonne and other games I use a non slick runner on the table helps all the time

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Knicely
United States
Middletown
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My boards were badly warped (at least 5 mm) when I first played it at the beginning of the month. All of the boards have since returned to an almost flat state without any bending or pressing (beyond what having the components on top in the box might do).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klure Junior
United States
Oceanside
California
flag msg tools
Essssssss Teeeeee EYE!
badge
My Dog Abi
mbmbmbmbmb
KnobDoctor wrote:
When we played the other night, the boards were flat when we took them out of the box, but slowly started to curl as we played. I assumed it was because of the absolutely no humidity in my house.

You guys should make stainless steel boards for the second printing. devil

Mine did the same thing, we were having a bought of Santa-Ana's so our area was super dry, the humidity is creeping back up some this week though, I will check them out again.

Wooden Boards might be kinda awesome too since stainless is a bit expensive.... soblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.