Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ron Smith
United States
Santa Ana
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When playing Fall of Rome, one of the most useful tactics I found was to LET Rebel Legions win in a civil war, going so far as to move Loyal Legions out of the way of Rebel Legions, and spreading out the Loyal Legions so that the Rebels become the largest stack of Legions, per 8.22(13.32 for S&T 181), and thus end the war as soon as possible with minimal losses. The loss of 33 credits is usually not that difficult to deal with.

Of course this is VERY unhistorical and gamey.

It has just occurred to me that there is a rule I included in the Emperor's Epic variant which could be used separately in any version of the game and would strongly discourage the above tactic.

Modification to Rule 8.22 (13.32):
When rebellious legions reach Rome (Italia-A), they just remain there. If they are, or become, the largest group of legions (loyal or rebellious) in any given Area on the entire map, then at the end of the current Game-Turn: (a) All rebelling legions in Rome become loyal again; (b) The Roman Treasury has 33 Tax Credits deducted from it; if necessary, the Treasury goes into a deficit (negative) position;(c) Roll on the Legion Rebellion Table for each other stack of Legions on the map to see if they accept the new Emperor. Use the +2 modification for all such rolls, regardless of the Period. Legions that do not Rebel have accepted the new Emperor and remain loyal. Legions that Rebel march on Rome as usual.
I also recommend adding a '3' result for a Roll of 7 on 0-3 column of the Legion Rebellion table.
This means even an individual Legion could refuse to accept the new Emperor. (I know there was at least one Roman Emperor who started off as a rebel with just one Legion, though I can't remember who it was.)

The intent of this modification to rule 8.22 is that it becomes risky to 'let' Rebel Legions win a civil war as there is a real possibility of starting a new civil war. The player is now motivated to try to defeat Rebels instead of letting them win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.