Jim Marshall
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Certainly you can do the things you highlight. Also:

Don't overlook the advise action, which allows the removal of two insurgent pieces - including underground guerrillas, which can be very useful - as well as bumping up aid.

While underground irregulars don't 'hide' COIN bases the way underground insurgent guerrillas do, they do have to be removed before bases.

Finally, Irregulars have the advantage of not counting towards US troop/base losses, so losing them doesn't hurt the US point total - just train them again. (Knowing this, the insurgents may just leave them alone

Edit: updated my response in line with Oerjan's comments to avoid confusion
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vez A
Germany
Kiel
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
At this moment the US irregs are a bit of a mystery to me.

Note that the US may Train without placing pieces so placing irregs is not necessary.

The bots target special forces first so if for no other reason the US can use them to shield troops against bots.

Also any incursions out of the South are best with the irregs to avoid losing troops.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oerjan Ariander
Sweden
HUDDINGE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Some scattered comments:

The insurgent bots target SF first because a single Underground SF piece can remove 2 Underground Guerrillas without having to Activate them first. That's more dangerous even than a US Troop Assaulting in a US Base space!

SF protect COIN Bases in exactly the same way as COIN cubes do: Attacks can't remove a COIN Base until all non-Base COIN pieces have been removed. Note that Attacks remove Underground SF pieces just as easily as they remove Active ones though, so the Base doesn't gain any more protection just because the SF piece is Underground.

It isn't necessary to place any piece in a space to Train there, but a single Irregular already in the space, or delivered there by Air Lift before the Op, allows the US to Train there. (And to Pacify there during that Train Op too, as long as there is COIN Control; no need for Troops or Police during Train Op Pacification.)

Note that you can only Activate 1 Irregular per space during an Advise SA, even if you have put 2 of them in the same space.

Regards, Oerjan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Engels
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for this timely thread...it's like you guys were reading my mind. I was late-night googling for Fire in the Lake strategies last night and I think the game is new enough that this type of material is slim.

Irregulars have gone from "confusing" to "very nice to have" for me. I see them as:

- versatile
- bodies in the field
- cost-free
- risk-free
- bombard proof
- can potentially act--or at the very least, redeploy--during those occasions when you're training + pacifying
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Vanpassel
Belgium
Tongeren
Limburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there a way to deactivate a U.S. Irregular?

I used my irregulars in an advise spec activ so they are now active but they can't perform a new advise until they rotate from casualty to available to the map. Is that correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oerjan Ariander
Sweden
HUDDINGE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
For the US, you mean? Remove it from the map per 1.4.1 then Train a new Irregular somewhere else, or wait for the Reset during the next Coup Round whenn all Guerrillas and SF are flipped Underground.

Regards, Oerjan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Vanpassel
Belgium
Tongeren
Limburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So no easy way like 'transport' for ARVN or 'Rally' for VC.

Thanks! thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vez A
Germany
Kiel
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb

Well, Train is pretty easy and an otherwise very useful, multifunctional, op for the US too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.