David Turczi
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Everyone tells me the game is effing hard. I'm not saying any of them were smooth sailing, but we did all of them.

On Castaways halfway through we were swimming in determination and food. Then the weather almost smote us but we barely got the pile of wood ready by day 11 with about 5 health between the three of us.

On the volcano island we took one too many turns on our starting location, and from then on it was a non-stop run from the lava. Used all our determination on guaranteeing that the temples get to locations that get destroyed the latest by the explorer. It came down to one dice roll on the last day, we won.

I don't distinctivly remember what happened on the cursed island, but I remember that it was actually easier than Castaways. We explored large areas, so the fog never got to a place (until the end) where it could actually hurt us and the mystery cards did barely no harm either.

We also did the custom script Naturalist. Survived easily, but not scored very high because we got most of the books out early turns before finding a river to catch unique fish in.

Don't get me wrong, the games were fun, but they weren't the sweatingly terrible struggle I remember from when somebody taught me the game a few months ago (on Castaways). Is it because of the player number? (That was a 4p game, while all of these were 3p+Dog plays) Did we get some rules wrong? (especially moving camp vs roof vs natural shelter or resolving mystery cards maybe?) Whenever we had a rules disagreement we always said "play with whichever is worse for us"

What are the common mistakes that can make the game too easy? Or did we just get very very lucky? (On good mysteries, high ratio of success on unsupported actions, not too many clouds, etc)

(Which reminds me, one rule question: If we have a very injured player, can he support two actions, letting someone else go on both adventures so he doesn't need to? So they're both guaranteed successes, right?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon Herren
United States
Kent
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is an excellent list of common rule mistakes:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1000107/rules-you-may-be-pl...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I like elephants. I like how they swing through trees.
mbmbmbmbmb
For whatever reason, the rule I seem to forget the most is that characters lose 2 health when they don't eat, not just one (I think I equate that with the one health lost for sleeping outside).

But I also find that the game does not scale equally between player count and scenario, so many are quite winnable and even easy depending on the number of players (usually more is easier).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike M
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think you're supposed to use the dog unless you're playing solo. Certainly it makes it easier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Artem Safarov
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Check out Unbroken: solo game of survival and revenge.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mike is right, you're not supposed to use the dog with 3p.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron S
United States
Ventura
California
flag msg tools
I don't remember what I ate last night
badge
but I can spout off obscure rules to all sorts of game like nobody's business!
mbmbmbmbmb
TDaver wrote:
(Which reminds me, one rule question: If we have a very injured player, can he support two actions, letting someone else go on both adventures so he doesn't need to? So they're both guaranteed successes, right?)

Absolutely. It would be foolish to send someone close to death on non-guaranteed actions.

Cursed Island is, in my opinion, the easiest scenario, so it doesn't surprise me that you beat that one easily. Having the Dog, as others have mentioned, also make it easier. Generally, I also find 3p easier than 4p, due to the reduced shelter requirements and less food needed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Turczi
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
runtsta wrote:
TDaver wrote:

Absolutely. It would be foolish to send someone close to death on non-guaranteed actions.

Cursed Island is, in my opinion, the easiest scenario, so it doesn't surprise me that you beat that one easily. Having the Dog, as others have mentioned, also make it easier. Generally, I also find 3p easier than 4p, due to the reduced shelter requirements and less food needed.

I find 4p harder because of the morale OR determination on the arrange camp action. Right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron S
United States
Ventura
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TDaver wrote:
I find 4p harder because of the morale OR determination on the arrange camp action. Right?

Yes, that too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Wionzek
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kladan wrote:
Mike is right, you're not supposed to use the dog with 3p.

Pretty sure my book says the dog is "recommended" for 3p. But I don't have them in front of me to look at.

It's buried in the back somewhere as I remember, though.

Edit: Z-Man current printing, BTW.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
It's a fearful thing, to fall into the Hands of the Living God!
badge
Tell me, have you found the Yellow Sign?
mbmbmbmbmb
Dog is recommended for 2 players, Dog AND Friday for Solo play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristopher
United States
Allentown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hey, buddy, can you spare a role?
badge
I jotted it down in my Risk campaign book. I always used to do that so I could replay my moments of glory over a glass of brandy in the sleeping quarters. --Arnold J. Rimmer--
mbmbmb
Were you saving food between turns? Food is supposed to rot away between turns, so you are always either looking for food or starving and taking the hit point damage. No fridges on Crusoe's Island (Unless, of course, you had Gilligan riding the exercise bike to charge the coconut batteries the Professor invented.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike M
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dumon wrote:

Oh I thought it was the opposite: Friday was recommended and you could add the dog to make it easier (for 2 players). I can't imagine 2 players with just the dog. You'd have to get really lucky to beat even the first scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Fischer
Poland
Warszawa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dumon wrote:

In the polish second edition Friday is recommended for 2 players, the dog alone for 3 players and the dog AND Friday for solo play.

I also win most of my games, after having lost a lot at the beginning. I don't find the game too easy with these recommendations. We never win by a huge margin, so it stays interesting until the end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
It's a fearful thing, to fall into the Hands of the Living God!
badge
Tell me, have you found the Yellow Sign?
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh.
I might have made a mistake there. Not sure, at the moment.
Please, can someone validate or disprove my statement above?
I'm at the moment not able to check...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron S
United States
Ventura
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dumon wrote:
Oh.
I might have made a mistake there. Not sure, at the moment.
Please, can someone validate or disprove my statement above?
I'm at the moment not able to check...

The Z-Man rules say to use Friday for the 2p game, but nothing for 3p. It does, however, suggest to use the dog for 3p in the hints to make the game easier.

Easier game wrote:
A) You can play with the Dog. ... It is especially recommended in 3-player games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Turczi
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Found the rule mistake.

We only took 1 wound for not eating. Which we quickly gamed into "You and I are not eating, but I'll cook you my grandma's recipe, so we both heal it back!"

Darn, now I'm forced to replay all the scenarios to achieve proper scores... Poor me
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.