Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Elliott Harding
United States
Rapid City
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This thread is just a reminder to others to politely contact FFP directly using the avenues described below and voice their concerns about the miniatures. I'm bringing this up because I was not aware of the following that I had read this morning on another post:

"Flying Frog really does need to hear how all of you feel about the minis and what you want to see in the future. 

Posting here probably isn't going to be enough, as Flying Frog doesn't read the threads here on BGG like some game companies do. I saw Scott mention that once.

However, if you geekmail Scott Hill of Flying Frog he does read his geekmail (or at least he used to). He also responds to direct email from the kickstarter campaign."

Again, I was not aware of FFP not reading the posts here, but I want to be sure my voice is heard as a Mine Cart backer who invested heavily into this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek VDG
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They do read posts on BGG, as we have had Scott and Jason post a few times in the past. However, I expect that they aren't regulars (or regular enough to keep up with the posts), so yes, email is probably a better means to ensure that they see any comments or questions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Jelley
United Kingdom
Hungerford
Berkshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eharding wrote:
This thread is just a reminder to others to politely contact FFP directly using the avenues described below and voice their concerns about the miniatures. I'm bringing this up because I was not aware of the following that I had read this morning on another post:

"Flying Frog really does need to hear how all of you feel about the minis and what you want to see in the future. 

Posting here probably isn't going to be enough, as Flying Frog doesn't read the threads here on BGG like some game companies do. I saw Scott mention that once.

However, if you geekmail Scott Hill of Flying Frog he does read his geekmail (or at least he used to). He also responds to direct email from the kickstarter campaign."

Again, I was not aware of FFP not reading the posts here, but I want to be sure my voice is heard as a Mine Cart backer who invested heavily into this game.

I like the miniatures, and no problems gluing them together and painting them. Well, it took 5-10 minutes to do the first one, but after that it was all OK. There were 4,727 Kickstarters, and I think I have seen 50 odd complaints here and on KS, so just over 1%? In any case it's probably too late to redesign the lot for Wave 1.5 and Wave 2.

Philip
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Awesome Schott
Germany
flag msg tools
Philip Jelley wrote:

I like the miniatures, and no problems gluing them together and painting them. Well, it took 5-10 minutes to do the first one, but after that it was all OK. There were 4,727 Kickstarters, and I think I have seen 50 odd complaints here and on KS, so just over 1%? In any case it's probably too late to redesign the lot for Wave 1.5 and Wave 2.

Philip

Same here.
The quality of the minis is OK - I play a boardgame and no Miniature wargame. I played with friends who are heavy into Warhammer and are running a shop too and they see it the same way as I do. The quality of the SOBS Minis is really good for boardgame standards (yes I know - Mansion of Madness etc.).

I don't knwo why Backers complain every time. You got an awesome deal! And you saw the Prototypes and the grade of detail in advance to decide if you want to back or not.'

And the assembling was really easy (I assembled only a dozen of other minis before and am not the best with DIY). just observe your parts, think and refine some points and it fits well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Clark
msg tools
Yea, I guess they do need encouragement.

The minis are good for cheap, hard plastic minis for use in a board game.

They really need to get more of them out, and offer the red ones for sale on the website.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Zelasco
United States
Beavercreek
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
schildischott wrote:

Same here.
The quality of the minis is OK - I play a boardgame and no Miniature wargame. I played with friends who are heavy into Warhammer and are running a shop too and they see it the same way as I do. The quality of the SOBS Minis is really good for boardgame standards (yes I know - Mansion of Madness etc.).

I don't know what other miniatures intensive boardgames at the $100 range you are playing, but these are not really good.

I did find it amusing that you immediately have to put a disclaimer after your "these are really good" statement. It's as if you already know that when you compare them with miniature games of the same price, these miniatures start to look bad.

Don't forget that they also removed the plastic laminate from all of the cards, so the reduction of quality is not just limited to the miniatures. They are a step down from FFP's usual level of quality, which is one reason why people are upset.

schildischott wrote:

I don't knwo why Backers complain every time. You got an awesome deal! And you saw the Prototypes and the grade of detail in advance to decide if you want to back or not.'

And the assembling was really easy (I assembled only a dozen of other minis before and am not the best with DIY). just observe your parts, think and refine some points and it fits well.

Look at the quality of the miniatures and then ask yourself: "Would I pay $1,600 dollars for these miniatures?" That's the quoted market price from FFP. If the answer is no, then that should tell you something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Swaffer
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm very happy with the quality of the minis: they were easy to put together and everyone in my gaming group has said they look awesome. Given how much I've enjoyed playing the game, I probably would have paid $1,600 for all of the content (cards, tiles, rules, etc. as well as the minis) but as I'm a minecart backer I won't need to
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
reaching out from the in-between spaces...
United States
Baldwin
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They did show off the mini's as noted by a previous poster, but I feel the one's we ended up with had far less detail than what they initially showed.

FFP stated that they wanted SoB to be more than a game, they wanted it to a hobby. They wanted to elevate their mini's to the next level. The poses are dynamic, yes, but the detail is a step behind their other games (to me at least).

One of their last updates contained the Lizard Shaman and they noted they were redoing it or had redone it to really bring out the detail in it. They highlighted that which makes me think they kind of know the detail is lacking and plan on doing better with the next waves.

Update #46:

We showed off an early version of the Serpentmen Shaman during the Kickstarter campaign, but he has been revised to add a lot more detail and improved pose.

Jorune
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kell zilla
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AmanuJaku wrote:
Look at the quality of the miniatures and then ask yourself: "Would I pay $1,600 dollars for these miniatures?" That's the quoted market price from FFP. If the answer is no, then that should tell you something.

I wouldn't pay $1600 for these miniatures, but the $1600 includes *way* more than just the miniatures, and I might pay $1600 for all of it.

But my husband is minecart, so we only paid a bit less than half that.

Keep in mind that although the MSRP of the base games is $100 each, they're already being sold for $60-80 each, meaning that $1600 figure is already off-base and you're looking at more like $960-1280, which is not only far more palatable but far more reasonable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott M.
United States
Winter Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a huge huge FFP Fanboy/Real Fan of their products, but i am going negative here on only the miniatures aspect of this game...

First off, These miniatures SUCK!. I want my FFP games to be like they have been in the past, open and GO. I spent 2 hours putting all the minis for SOB together and it was a pain in the ass. Seams dont match up, Detail is lacking ect..ect.. Coming from 40k, my bar is set really high.

Second, I want a board game not a miniatures line. I got out of 40k and Fantasy battle and WM/H because i was tired of the Miniatures hobby aspect of the game. IF i wanted to by a miniatures line that happen to have a board game to go along with it i would simply play my Space Hulk set.

I am sad i KS this project before I knew the minis were going to be mulitpart hard plastic.

I will say this. I will not be a supporter or fan of SOB in the future, the miniatures "game" is outside of FFP's range and it shows.

Full disclaimer, I love the SOB game play but every time i see the miniatures on the awesome looking game tiles it pisses me the fuck off!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Olson
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've been doing miniature wargaming for many years now. I work in a game store, so I know a thing or two about models. And I can tell you that, for the price you pay, these models are pretty darn good. You get this entire game, which is great, plus a ton of models for $100. If you wanted to get Citadel Miniatures (GW) quality, this many models would probably cost you $500 at least. Hell the 4 heroes alone would cost $50. I'm not saying they're amazing or anything, but for the price, they are good models. When you get them all painted, they look great on the table. I wish people would just relax and enjoy this great game. I backed it at Minecart and don't regret it at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Olson
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
atraangelis wrote:
I'm a huge huge FFP Fanboy/Real Fan of their products, but i am going negative here on only the miniatures aspect of this game...

First off, These miniatures SUCK!. I want my FFP games to be like they have been in the past, open and GO. I spent 2 hours putting all the minis for SOB together and it was a pain in the ass. Seams dont match up, Detail is lacking ect..ect.. Coming from 40k, my bar is set really high.

Second, I want a board game not a miniatures line. I got out of 40k and Fantasy battle and WM/H because i was tired of the Miniatures hobby aspect of the game. IF i wanted to by a miniatures line that happen to have a board game to go along with it i would simply play my Space Hulk set.

I am sad i KS this project before I knew the minis were going to be mulitpart hard plastic.

I will say this. I will not be a supporter or fan of SOB in the future, the miniatures "game" is outside of FFP's range and it shows.

Full disclaimer, I love the SOB game play but every time i see the miniatures on the awesome looking game tiles it pisses me the fuck off!

Really? That's like saying I won't play Monopoly because the doggie isn't realistic enough. Do you actually play the game just to look at the pieces on the board. And, being a 40k player, how much did you pay to have those great models? How much do you think GW would have charged you to make a game with this many models? I'll bet it is WAY more than the $100 this cost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott M.
United States
Winter Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, You know exactly what i'm saying, don't twist my words..

This is a board game but FFP wants it to be a miniatures line.

In my opinion, these should be board game quality miniatures that people don't have to have tools and glue and all other crap on hand to make look good on the game board.

My minis look Good as best as i could make them, but i would have preferred the "Bouncy/Rubber" minis all other board games use. This effort to move outside their comfort zone i think was a failure.

I know my comments are going to bring heat down on me but this thread is about the miniatures. I love the game, but hate the minis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Zelasco
United States
Beavercreek
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kellzilla wrote:
AmanuJaku wrote:

I wouldn't pay $1600 for these miniatures, but the $1600 includes *way* more than just the miniatures, and I might pay $1600 for all of it.

Well, that is one of the reasons why I also pointed out that they also skimped on some of the other materials. Just compare the quality of the components with other FFP games, and you will see what I mean.

kellzilla wrote:
Keep in mind that although the MSRP of the base games is $100 each, they're already being sold for $60-80 each, meaning that $1600 figure is already off-base and you're looking at more like $960-1280, which is not only far more palatable but far more reasonable.

The reason why I went with base market price is to express a point about what FFP wanted from the game. I can point out other numerous other games at the original price point or lower ($100 or less), that are on sale for lower prices than the market price. That's sort of moot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magic Pink
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Philip Jelley wrote:
eharding wrote:

Philip

Just the people you've seen complain are not the only people who have a complaint. The last thing I heard was for evey complaint you see there's 50 people who feel the same and don't feel the need to voice it when they see it already done.

As for the minis, they suck but I don't really need them to look nice; I would have liked cardboard standees just as much. I just really really hate putting them together. In fact, I didn't. They were such a pain that I literally have given up on the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kell zilla
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Magic Pink wrote:
The last thing I heard was for evey complaint you see there's 50 people who feel the same and don't feel the need to voice it when they see it already done.

I've heard 10, 20, 24, 25, 26, but I have literally never heard 50. Don't overinflate your side of the argument.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Zelasco
United States
Beavercreek
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kellzilla wrote:
Magic Pink wrote:
The last thing I heard was for evey complaint you see there's 50 people who feel the same and don't feel the need to voice it when they see it already done.

I've heard 10, 20, 24, 25, 26, but I have literally never heard 50. Don't overinflate your side of the argument.

Scroll up. I have quoted the post in this thread for your convenience.

Philip Jelley wrote:
eharding wrote:

Philip
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan Idaho
United States
NYC
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AmanuJaku wrote:
kellzilla wrote:
Magic Pink wrote:

Philip Jelley wrote:
eharding wrote:

Philip

You completely missed the point. Re-read those.

50 is high, but to use the visible complaints to figure out the overall dissatisfaction rate (especially just going off of BGG, or even BGG and KS) is way off base.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
Maximillion1 wrote:
I've been doing miniature wargaming for many years now. I work in a game store, so I know a thing or two about models. And I can tell you that, for the price you pay, these models are pretty darn good. You get this entire game, which is great, plus a ton of models for $100. If you wanted to get Citadel Miniatures (GW) quality, this many models would probably cost you $500 at least. Hell the 4 heroes alone would cost $50. I'm not saying they're amazing or anything, but for the price, they are good models. When you get them all painted, they look great on the table. I wish people would just relax and enjoy this great game. I backed it at Minecart and don't regret it at all.
Ooh, let me play this game now! Ahem...

I've been doing miniature wargaming for many years now. I worked in a game store, so I know a thing or two about models. And I can tell you that, for the price you pay, these (non-pre-assembled) models aren't up to the standard of Zombicide, Rivet Wars, Arcadia Quest or any similarly-priced Kickstarter minis game. You get this entire game, which is pretty good, plus a ton of models that you have to assemble for $100. If you wanted to get Citadel Miniatures (GW) quality, this would be a dumb comparison because we're talking about a boardgame. Hell the 4 heroes alone would cost $5 in a tube of minis at a craft store. I'm not saying they're awful, but for the price, they aren't acceptable for a boxed product. When you get them all painted, they look medoicre and slightly wonky on the table. I wish people would just relax and understand no one has to love this stuff. I backed it at Minecart and have decided not to back any more FFP stuff until they include pre-assembled quality miniatures like every other minis Kickstarter besides Sedition Wars.

Yay!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Olson
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:
Maximillion1 wrote:
Ooh, let me play this game now! Ahem...

I've been doing miniature wargaming for many years now. I worked in a game store, so I know a thing or two about models. And I can tell you that, for the price you pay, these (non-pre-assembled) models aren't up to the standard of Zombicide, Rivet Wars, Arcadia Quest or any similarly-priced Kickstarter minis game. You get this entire game, which is pretty good, plus a ton of models that you have to assemble for $100. If you wanted to get Citadel Miniatures (GW) quality, this would be a dumb comparison because we're talking about a boardgame. Hell the 4 heroes alone would cost $5 in a tube of minis at a craft store. I'm not saying they're awful, but for the price, they aren't acceptable for a boxed product. When you get them all painted, they look medoicre and slightly wonky on the table. I wish people would just relax and understand no one has to love this stuff. I backed it at Minecart and have decided not to back any more FFP stuff until they include pre-assembled quality miniatures like every other minis Kickstarter besides Sedition Wars.

Yay!

Hmm, ok let me try wording it a different way. If FFP had not given you any models, and just given you cardboard cutouts to represent the heroes and monsters, that plus all of the cards, all of the map tiles, the rules, the campaign books, and the dice (2 of which are custom) you'd still be looking at a game that costs $75. Maybe $50 and that would be a great/cheap value. So, for and extra $25 - $50 you get 32 models. That comes out $0.78 - $1.56 per model. I don't know what kind of models you think you're going to get for that price, but I can asure you these are pretty good for that. But, hey if you aren't happy and it bothers you so much that you're not going to play what I consider to be a good game, more power to you. Maybe you don't like the gameplay as much as I do. I totally understand that. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I just wonder if people realize what they are getting from a price perspective. But, again, that's just me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kell zilla
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AmanuJaku wrote:
kellzilla wrote:
Magic Pink wrote:

Let me re-quote what I actually was talking about (the part I actually quoted and responded to): "For every complaint you see there's 50 people who feel the same."

I have literally never seen that statistic before, and I've been through several classes, programs, and on-the-job trainings related to customer/consumer complaints.

I have seen as high as 26 unhappy customers for every complaint, but I have literally never seen 50 in all my years dealing with customers. That is double...more than double...sometimes quintuple the actual research data (depending on the study being cited).

Like I said, do not overinflate your side of the argument.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Eh, I'm fine with the minis. I actually had a lot of fun putting them together (though the 12 zombies got old after the first few). I'm not a Warhammer gamer, haven't assembled minis in years, but I used to do modelling years ago so this was fine with me.

I realize some don't like the construction part and I understand it. And it probably wasn't super obvious during the KS campaign so I feel for people that are all thumbs.

But at this point the game is far, very far into production and there's no way this is going to change at this point. They might be able to adjust some models to cut down the number of pieces and maybe make the details better now that they know what to expect from the molds, but that is probably the most we can expect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian C
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Magic Pink wrote:
As for the minis, they suck but I don't really need them to look nice; I would have liked cardboard standees just as much. I just really really hate putting them together. In fact, I didn't. They were such a pain that I literally have given up on the game.

Get back in there and put that shit together MP! Don't do that to yourself - this game is loads of fun and worth the trouble to get it off the ground and into playing shape.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
atraangelis wrote:
No, You know exactly what i'm saying, don't twist my words..

This is a board game but FFP wants it to be a miniatures line.

If that were true, I think we'd see blister packs of extra Hellbats, Void Spiders, etc. They aren't selling extra miniatures and in fact the rules are designed around a fixed number of figures (which is funny because it makes the extra red miniatures for KS backers have no game function).

This is not at all like a miniatures line. It is a boardgame that uses miniatures, like so many others out there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kell zilla
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dormammu wrote:
(which is funny because it makes the extra red miniatures for KS backers have no game function).

Other World threat paint jobs
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.