Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: geekmod [+] photos [+] [View All]
Michael Chapman
United States
Sarasota
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
I just started doing GeekMod a bit to help out here. I figure my two cents is as good as anyone elses.

I see two things happen with Representative Images, it can be of the box cover or of the board setup with the box cover in the background. There are no guidelines that I have seen that say what makes a good representative image. I am partial to the box cover because you at least know what the game is.

I am guessing there is a thread on this somewhere because it seems every time I look there is someone trying to change the image from box cover to components and back again.

Is there a definitive answer?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Jordal
United States
Austin
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Ike Clanton painted by me for Wild West Exodus
mbmbmbmbmb
This has been hashed a thousand times. I am of the cover camp as well, so I am glad to have another on our team here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lajos
Japan
Hachiouji
Tokyo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
I'm in the game setup camp, but I would like an administrator ruling to settle the issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Rosen
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't really care too much whether we go with box cover or game setup, but I think it would be better if we were consistent, and used all box covers or all game setups for representative images.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
carl huber
England
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I view a page on a game, I want to see the box cover as the representative image. If I'm interested in seeing the contents of the box then I'll look at the other images. It's a rare game that is best represented by a box and it's contents when the image is reduced to a thumbnail size, imho.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sterling Babcock
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Winkles is here to help!
badge
Please let me know how I can help you.
mbmbmbmbmb
Lajos wrote:
I'm in the game setup camp, but I would like an administrator ruling to settle the issue.

Box Cover.

Does that help?

(Of course, I just made that up as that is what I would like to see.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Bohrer
United States
Hereford
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I think my sentiments are pretty well known; I think that a representative image needs to clearly identify the game to someone who has never played it, and that at thumbnail size.

Might mean a box pic, might mean a board pic where the game logo shows clearly.

Aldie basically gave a "no comment" the last thread this came up in; might be he was enjoying the fight...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian Walker
United Kingdom
Hull
East Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I used to be firmly in the components camp, or rather, a picture of the game (or part of it) in actual play. That's because the first image I look at is what makes me say "ah, that looks interesting", or not, and my interest is never piqued by a closed box. If all representatives were boxes, there's a lot of interesting games I'd never have discovered.

That being said, I recognise the arguments for box cover, too, especially about the thumbnail issue. Collectors of Euros, wargames, or whatever, would probably rather see those in their collections.

But I'd still maintain that box covers are out for traditional abstracts, unless the box cover has a clear picture of the game. Unlike the representative image for Nine Men's Morris, which is useless as far as I'm concerned. Given the huge number of different companies making the game, to what small percentage of owners would that picture mean anything?

Given how polarised it is, maybe we should have a box shot and a "game in play" shot for games, and let users flick a switch to say which they'd rather see.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stella M
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't mind either way, although I cannot quite follow the argument about the title of the game being clearly visible... isn't the name of the game always mentioned above the image (in geeklists as well as the actual game page) anyway?

Up to now I thought that the representative image is the one that

- captures the essence/soul of the game best
and/or
- is the best available image (from a technical point of view)
and/or
- is currently the only one
and/or
- gives a good overview of the game as a whole
and/or

meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.