Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Briand
Canada
Orleans
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all. I have an image that I would love to eventually get printed into a playmat. The issue I am having is that this is an image I found on DeviantArt and it's a custom playmat design for RE DBG.

How do I ensure that the image dimensions are proper, because the image contains outlines for the resource piles and mansion deck.

I don't want to upload the image to a custom Playmat printing site and have it come back to me with improper sized card "spots".

I don't have photoshop or anything, but I do know that a 3.5" x 2.5" card translates roughly to 240x336 pixels in "real world" measurements.

The current image dimensions are 9930x7020 and the dimensions of the card spots on that image are 840x1156. Scaling the image down to 30% of its original dimensions gives me the "real world measurements" of the card spots with the final image dimensions being about 2979x2106

Please note that I have no experience in using photoshop either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Pereira
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
See the person next to you? Kill! Kill!!! KILLL!!!!
badge
I'm your baby! Can you feel it?
mbmbmbmbmb
If you send it to a printer you should be able to give the printer instructions on what dimensions that picture should fit in. The question here then is, what file type have you got? Ideally you have an inDesign file or anything similar that the printer can use to adjust without losing quality.

However, if the image you got is, say, a jpeg file, than I would assume that it already has the correct dimensions since you said that it has been designed specifically for that purpose. You should check with the designer who made that file.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Briand
Canada
Orleans
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The playmat in question is this one:

http://huangzhenyanghz.deviantart.com/art/RE-DBG-Umbrella-Ma...

According to the author, it was designed to be printed on size A1 paper (which is roughly 16.55" x 23.40"). I don't have access to A1 sized paper to confirm it though.

Plus, naturally, I'd want it printed on an actual mat of some sort, not on paper.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Pereira
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
See the person next to you? Kill! Kill!!! KILLL!!!!
badge
I'm your baby! Can you feel it?
mbmbmbmbmb
You would still have to print it on an A1 sized foam mat if that's what it has been designed for since the card-holder boxes will be sized for that.

A solution if you want it smaller is to simply crop away the artwork bordering the main area designated for the cards.

I'd say that your best bet is to ask the printer for advise. Maybe somebody else can give better advise... sorry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The official playmats measure:

PLAYMAT MEASURES 16.25" INCHES FROM TOP TO BOTTOM AND 29.25" ACROSS

Not sure if that helps or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Guthrie
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Where are you getting your playmat printed? I've inquired about having one made at several online retailers, but none offer playmats that come in the custom RE size (16.25" x 29.25"). Inkedplaymats.com could do the job, but only by making a custom die cutter which added about $100 to the order.

To help with your issue, yes it's a JPG, but at 9930x7020 and 300 pixels per inch, the file is certainly large enough to print and maintain image quality. http://i.imgur.com/fI3mBlq.jpg

Printing it as is, without any alterations to resolution (PPI) or size, the card slots should be about 2.75" x 3.85"
http://i.imgur.com/TKBWdun.jpg

It looks like she sized it so that the "picture frame" border of the card slots would hug the outside of the card piles rather than be covered by them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Briand
Canada
Orleans
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BlessAndDestroy wrote:
Where are you getting your playmat printed? I've inquired about having one made at several online retailers, but none offer playmats that come in the custom RE size (16.25" x 29.25"). Inkedplaymats.com could do the job, but only by making a custom die cutter which added about $100 to the order.

To help with your issue, yes it's a JPG, but at 9930x702 and 300 pixels per inch, the file is certainly large enough to print and maintain image quality. http://i.imgur.com/fI3mBlq.jpg

Printing it as is, without any alterations to resolution (PPI) or size, the card slots should be about 2.75" x 3.85"
http://i.imgur.com/TKBWdun.jpg

It looks like she sized it so that the "picture frame" border of the card slots would hug the outside of the card piles rather than be covered by them.

Thanks for the info. So if printing that "As Is" where the card holders are 2.75 x 3.85, what would the overall dimensions of the playmat be?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Guthrie
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rather large, 33.1" x 23.4". The official RE playmats are only 29.25" x 16.25. However, if you notice, her playmat design has three rows of seven cards (21 total resource piles) rather than the standard RE build of three rows of six (18 total resource piles). That gives you three extra slots for when you build variants using extra resource piles. There is also space for the mansion deck, miscellaneous space above the mansion (presumably for tokens, etc), as well as a pretty big border around the whole area.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.