Super Dungeon Explore» Forums » General

Subject: Model Storage ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Craig H
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
So it took about a year of hobby-time but last night I finished painting all 52 base set models ! Then I looked over and started counting models in the expansions - including the RK cross-overs, there's another 100+ models. The Forgotten King expansion isn't too far away either, that's another 60 - 70+ models.

So what are painters doing for storage and transport ?

The problem seems compounded with varying sizes like the Dragon and Rex models competing for space with little treasure chests.

Any suggestions ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR Wr
United States
North Port
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I dont have all the links on me, ill try to remember to get them posted.

But I intend on making my own pluck foam storage.

Using these as the containers:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000Y2RGJC/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?...

I found a site selling the dense foam for the bases of the foam sheets.
And another site selling pluck foam in various thicknessess.

This is my my plan for all my minis related games, excepting Rivet Wars and Krosmaster (both of which are getting or have Battlefoam).
That way I can have a nice stack of these with the fronts labeld for what they are.

For SDE One whole box will be Hereos.
And then, dependent on model count and setup, each box will hold different 'sets'.

Keep in mind though, I went hells bells crazy with Impact minis and have some 12 or so sets of Consul minis.
A set having a boss, pair of minis bosses, a few stronger minions, and then 6-12 basic minions.
And then around 15-20 extra heroes.

And I went big in on FK and got double ov everything they offered.
Once all that comes in, I think my SDE collection will be more than complete.

SDE is my big project in the wings, im just waiting on the custom bases I ordered through Troll Forged to finally get done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Jordal
United States
Austin
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Ike Clanton painted by me for Wild West Exodus
mbmbmbmbmb
I am wrestling with this as well. I think I may magnetize the bases and store them in a plastic tub with the bottom line with galvanized tin. I use the method for some of my warhammer armies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick S
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been using KR Multicase.

I tried to cut my own foam once.
(because the article I read made it seem so cheap and easy) gulp
It was a disaster and only cost $5 less than a KR Multicase. It also takes up a lot more room while holding a lot less.

As if on que, right after I finished making this abomination, before the glue was dry, KR Multicase sent me an email offering a free card case when you buy a bag or hard case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR Wr
United States
North Port
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bigblock75 wrote:
I have been using KR Multicase.

I tried to cut my own foam once.
(because the article I read made it seem so cheap and easy) gulp
It was a disaster and only cost $5 less than a KR Multicase. It also takes up a lot more room while holding a lot less.

As if on que, right after I finished making this abomination, before the glue was dry, KR Multicase sent me an email offering a free card case when you buy a bag or hard case.

Understandable for sure.

The sets I intend to make wouldn't be cutting my own foam though.
Not for the part that actually holds the minis anyway.

The base foam would have to be cut sure, but it's very dense and easily cut.
And then the pluck foam is easy enough to pull apart to fit the base piece.

I worked it out based on the sites I found, and I could build enough cases with foam at the ratio of 5to1 vs battlefoam.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Scott
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the case I purchased. Not sure how much more I can fit, but I still have space with both expansions. I also have extra inserts as well. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B84B95M/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_NnjSub0... http://s4.photobucket.com/user/redirishrose/library/Feldherr...
I did not put my base set in however.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Rees
Wales
Cardiff
South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought foam to put inside my SDE box for the base game contents when I finished painting my set but for back in the both my expansions they're just put back in the boxes they came in loose. They're plastic so as long as you vanish them and don't start playing football with them then they're fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Wodzianski
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Painter - Player
mbmbmbmbmb
Battlefoam had a 25% site wide sale last year, so I picked up their SDE set. It holds the base game and RC expansion. It's big, but very nice. Incidentally, Battlefoam's "Space Hulk" set is very nice as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Wodzianski
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Painter - Player
mbmbmbmbmb
http://us.battlefoam.com/super-dungeon-explorer-foam-tray-ki...

IMO, worth the price. Even better if you can wait for a sale. Best, Drew
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.