United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
Always looking to play ...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey All,

My daughter's awesome math teacher has been using games in her advanced math classes (3rd through 6th grades) and after hearing about them playing Qwirkle, Set, etc., I started talking with her about other modern board games. After seeing my daughter's work in basic programming, I loaned my copy of Robo Rally to the teacher who loved it. After more conversations, seems like she's interested in getting 3 or 4 copies of several games for the school.

SO MY QUESTION - is there a good way for schools/educators to buy multiple copies of games? Budgets are always tough, so a cost-effective way of getting them would be great.

I can always lend them my CoolStuffInc account (which already has decent prices with my 4% discount) - but is there something better? Would publishers supply games at a deep discount if they were contacted directly?

Any feedback / advice would be appreciated. Anything to bring the hobby to the next generation of kids.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Hendrickson
United States
Seward
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some publishers are very supportive of educational institutions. Search the publisher's website for programs they offer. Also look for their contacts and reach out to them.

Perhaps dialogue with the publisher about what ways the school can provide more exposure for their games. Instead of simply asking for a discount, offer some return value. Make it a two-way partnership.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Williams
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
DrumPhil wrote:

Perhaps dialogue with the publisher about what ways the school can provide more exposure for their games. Instead of simply asking for a discount, offer some return value. Make it a two-way partnership.

You mean other than the boatload of new kids who would be exposed to these games each and every year? Some of whom would no doubt go home and start pleading with their parents to buy them their own copies?

Very little moves product in the toy industry (which, let's face it, our niche is a part of) better than screaming kids nagging their parents for something they want. =P
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Wilson
United States
Park Forest
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Most local game stores will work with schools and educators. I have gotten 20% off entire stores because I am a teacher. They also may want to donate the games as a tax write off. Never hurts to ask.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know if they still do, but Funagain use to have some sort of grant thing for classrooms.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Minken
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Connect More to your family, friends, and community over a board game.
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought I would respond because I have done exactly what you are asking. I organize corporate and school board game events on a regular basis. To manage the chaos at these types of events I try to keep my variables as constant as possible - this means requiring multiple copies of the same game so that multiple groups can play at the same time.

To put it in context, here is a small list of games that I have purchased multiple copies of:

Hanabi: 50 copies
Love Letter: 30 copies
Times Up: Title Recall: 10 copies
La Boca: copies
Forbidden Island: 10 copies
Ticket to Ride: 6 copies
Wits n Wagers Family: 10 copies
Black Gold: 2 copies
Coup: 50 copies
One Night Ultimate Werewolf: 50 copies
Telestrations: 5 copies
Sleeping Queens: 12 copies

..I could go on, but my point is that I do spend a lot of my own personal money on games so that they can be shared with others.

What I did:
I am a firm believer and proponent of shopping locally and supporting local business whenever possible. This means I support my FLGS whenever I can. They also organize and host many board game events throughout the year and IMHO every FLGS is an integral part of any local board game community.

So I approached them and asked to create a relationship that would be mutually beneficial and it has been great! My proposal was a 3 page document, which I would be happy to send to you if you like. Basically they provide me with a discount and I point new customers their way.

If so, email me at David@connect-more.ca

Great initiative!

Cheers,
David
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Byala
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
Always looking to play ...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, our gaming community is awesome. Quick and helpful responses. I really appreciate it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakob Bavnshøj
Denmark
Brøndum
DK-9500 Hobro
flag msg tools
designer
NOW
badge
Visit us at www.osterskov.dk
mbmbmbmbmb
I manage the economy at Østerskov Efterskole. A danish boardingschool, where we use boardgames and rpg's to teach the entire curriculum.

The last couple of years we have bought directly at the distributors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seriously, turn off Facebook. You'll be happier.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmb

Don't rule out external corporate sponsorship either. Local business may provide funds to purchase with as well, especially if the game choice is somehow related to their industry. Kiwanis Clubs and the like could potentially be in the mix as well.

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Judnick
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmb
Here are my experiences. Every school and community is different, so remember that your milage may vary.

Good experiences-

If your PTA raises a lot of funds, they might be a great resource. Usually the PTA has active parents. Usually the children of active parents love games and being challenged, which means something like this is a great match for their kids.

If your school has a community education program, and someone wants to run an after-school gaming club, their might be funds available there as well. Those games that are bought through a different program probably could be shared and used through multiple grades, classes, and programs.

I have no FLGS in the immediate area, so I've had to go online a few times, which is unfortunate, but they are still the best prices I've gotten (even after I play the "teacher" card with businesses and game companies.)

Not so good experiences -

I tried 3 major game companies/publishers about grants, demo games, and discounts. Only one replied to my inquiry, and denied my request citing the economy as the reason. This kind of bothered me, as so many companies end up having close out clearances anyway which offer steep discounts. Then again, a gaming business is still a business. If I ever get to a major convention, I will attempt to contacts companies again on a more personal level.

That FunAgain grant has been discontinued. I've yet to find another one, although I haven't looked incredibly hard.

Hope this was helpful, and good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.